TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › Poor Baby Purdy has ringworms
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Poor Baby Purdy has ringworms

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 
Everyone, Purdy got her first set of shots and was diagnoised with ringworm. I am a first time cat owner didnt know what it was. She went from 8 0z to 1 pound and 2 oz but is too small for the oral meds for ringworm. The vet gave us some stuff to apply and gave her a bath in some special shampoo. She doesnt like being isolated from her doggie friends and I hate seeing her that way as well. Oh I hope she gets rid of it soon. We have done all we can do so far.
post #2 of 9
Poor little Purdy. I don't have any experience with ringworm, so I can't offer any suggestions. Someone will be along to suggest something I'm sure. You will love having a cat around, theres nothing like it. Prayers and that the ringworm goes away quickly.
post #3 of 9
IMO, what you are doing is next to worthless. It keeps the ringworm at bay for now - but you will most likely need to treat her with oral meds once she is big enough. Talk to your vet about it when she gets a bit bigger, I think we wait to treat until 2lbs here.

People can get ringworm, as well as other pets. You can transmit it on your hands, clothes, etc. It's not an actual worm, but a skin fungus.
post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdy'sMomma View Post
Everyone, Purdy got her first set of shots and was diagnoised with ringworm. I am a first time cat owner didnt know what it was. She went from 8 0z to 1 pound and 2 oz but is too small for the oral meds for ringworm. The vet gave us some stuff to apply and gave her a bath in some special shampoo. She doesnt like being isolated from her doggie friends and I hate seeing her that way as well. Oh I hope she gets rid of it soon. We have done all we can do so far.
I am glad to hear that you are taking care of Purdy like you should be. Can I ask two things: Hold old is she and is she an outside cat? I hope you nurse Purdy back to perfect health and I predict you will do just that.
post #5 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Persi & Alley View Post
I am glad to hear that you are taking care of Purdy like you should be. Can I ask two things: Hold old is she and is she an outside cat? I hope you nurse Purdy back to perfect health and I predict you will do just that.
MY HUSBAND BROUGHT HER HOME, She was only 4 1/2 weeks old when we took her to the vet and he said she was fine and to come back in three weeks well then when she went back at 6 wks (now) he told us she had ringworm. She is not an outside cat she only weights a pound and 2 oz. So am I doing the right thing about keeping her away from the dogs in her kennel. We let her run around in our computer room for a little while but we put her back up. We do wash our hands after and change clothes. If I get it oh well but I dont want to have to treat four dogs as well. I am so overwhelmed with the whole thing right now.
post #6 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by white cat lover View Post
IMO, what you are doing is next to worthless. It keeps the ringworm at bay for now - but you will most likely need to treat her with oral meds once she is big enough. Talk to your vet about it when she gets a bit bigger, I think we wait to treat until 2lbs here.

People can get ringworm, as well as other pets. You can transmit it on your hands, clothes, etc. It's not an actual worm, but a skin fungus.
i am doing what the vet said to do. The dogs havent gotten it yet and neither have we.
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by white cat lover View Post
People can get ringworm, as well as other pets. You can transmit it on your hands, clothes, etc. It's not an actual worm, but a skin fungus.
I can vouch for that. Years ago I got ringworm treating a barn kitty. Washed my hands, but didn't think about my chest. An athlete foot cream cleared it up fairly quickly on me, but I still have this perfect white circle that doesn't tan. Every summer I get asked about it by somebody

It was long enough ago I can't recall what it was I was treating the cat with, unfortunately.

Here's hoping it clears up for you quickly and uneventfully
post #8 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayside View Post
I can vouch for that. Years ago I got ringworm treating a barn kitty. Washed my hands, but didn't think about my chest. An athlete foot cream cleared it up fairly quickly on me, but I still have this perfect white circle that doesn't tan. Every summer I get asked about it by somebody

It was long enough ago I can't recall what it was I was treating the cat with, unfortunately.

Here's hoping it clears up for you quickly and uneventfully
Thanks alot, I am hoping so too
post #9 of 9
Sorry, long post!

My two Himalayans came down with ringworm right after we got them, they were 14 weeks old. We were able to clear the ringworm without medication, it is doable but takes some work. It takes several weeks to clear with or without medication and protecting the environment so they don't get it again is important. My vet does both Western and alternative medicine so we worked up a plan to make it as safe as possible. Here are the things we did (we also had a dog that was dying of stomach cancer and could not be treated, she never got it). Where are the spots, this makes a difference in how it is treated also. Mine had it on the ear, mouth and under the eye so there was limited stuff we could use.

For the environment we got some stuff called Health Guard Laundry Additive & Disinfectant from Revival Animal Health. I used it weekly in the laundry for my family as well as pet bedding. I also shampooed the carpet with it and wiped down the furniture. I mopped and sprayed just about everything else, including baseboards, tile etc. with diluted bleach 2-3 x a week. Spraying the heat vents also as it is airborne. I had a mightly clean house for 3 mos!

My vet shaved the areas where the ringworm was. Keeps it from spreading.

I shampooed them with special shampoo from the vet, can't remember how many times a week. They hated that!

She got me some purified castor oil capsules from a local chiropractor that I rubbed on the sores.

I got a wood lamp and checked all over them and the dog, house , etc. daily.

Yes it is a lot of work but it cleared and it has been 2 years without a new breakout. Even if you use meds treating the environment is half the battle. You can get a lot of information on the internet. No one in my house, human or animal caught it and it never spread. The shampoo and shaving helps conatain it, the disinfecting helps to not get it back and the oil kills it. Good luck, it is worth it.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Health
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › Poor Baby Purdy has ringworms