TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › Is chocolate dangerous?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Is chocolate dangerous?

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 
my 2 month male dsh got into an otis spunkmeyer muffin...chocolate chocolate chip....will chocolate hurt a kitten/cat? I know it will dogs and I searched for the word chocolate on here and didnt find anything......he ate about the equivilant of 2 human size bites and the paper cupcake thingy......he was a little pissy about it when I threw it away, but got over it and is all lovey dovey again.
post #2 of 11
YES it is and it can be fatel ...

http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=174854

call your local er vet
post #3 of 11
Yes and i know of cats that got kidney failure from it and almost died.
post #4 of 11
Now I don't know jack about cat physiology, but it would occur to me that in order to have an adverse effect a considerable amount of chocolate would have to be consumed. I really doubt a small amount will do much.

Obviously, don't feed them now that you (and I!) know.
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ancientsanskrit View Post
Now I don't know jack about cat physiology, but it would occur to me that in order to have an adverse effect a considerable amount of chocolate would have to be consumed. I really doubt a small amount will do much.

Obviously, don't feed them now that you (and I!) know.
For regular semi sweet/milk chocolate that most of us bake with it does take a bit. Not sure on how much but from being in animal rescue for many years I have yet to hear an experience from someone who's cat ate a little bit and had major problems. And I have heard many of of them.

My youngest (about 7 months) just the other day consumed a homemade loaded chocolate chip cookie (semi sweet kind). This cookie was about 4 inches in diameter and had as many chips as you could possibly fit in a cookie. The only thing that happened was some slightly softer cookie smelling poop about 12 hours later. But most of the time cats will throw up after consuming.

Of course no chocolate should be given but the two things that you really have to be worried about is amount consumed and coco content. The higher the coco (like bakers chocolate) the more toxic it is. The amount for me would have been the whole muffin, since the whole thing is chocolate.

If your concerned then call a vet. But imo unless he is acting out of the ordinary then he will most likely be fine.
post #6 of 11
Yes - chocolate should never be given to cats or dogs. A small amount (darker the chocolate, the worse) can kill a small dog or cat. I'd call the vet and see if you need to do anything.
post #7 of 11
Thread Starter 
thanks for the info.....
Scenario is being playful and snuggled all night with me. I think he is fine.
Will follow up though....his stool is fine also.
post #8 of 11
I would keep an eye on him, but it sounds like he is okay.

Chocolate is bad for both cats and dogs. I used to give my dog small pieces of chocolate every so often before I knew this. She never suffered any ill effects - or the doggie angels were smiling on us!! - but you may be sure that I have never done it since. It can bring on seizures (and worse) in canines.
post #9 of 11
It does take quite a bit before it hurts them. A small amount is ok. The baking chocolate is the worst.
post #10 of 11
Thread Starter 
I got a case of these wonderful muffins at Sam's Club....put them on a very high unattainable shelf.....he does get pissy and vocal when I go for a otis spunkmeyer now....pretty funny, he must of liked them...tried to give him a lil piece of strawberry and he wanted nothing to do with it....junk food kitty.
post #11 of 11
I like chocolate muffins too! They wouldn't stand a chance around me!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Health
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › Is chocolate dangerous?