Discriminating Pet Owners

beturtlement

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just returned from a vet appointment for Niko, today, so he can get a general check up and an update on his shots. When I walked in, there was a woman standing by the reception desk chatting with one of the vet techs. I had set Niko's carrier down on a bench that's just beside her and she looked over at me. I smiled and made some joking comment on how mad he's gonna be at me when we get home for taking him to the vet. She took one look at the carrier, saw that it was a cat, and made this sour milk face, "Oh.. it's a /cat/." She says, all disdainfully. "I don't like cats. I'm a /dog/ person. Cats are inferior." I really had to bite my tongue.

I just said, "Ah. Well, I'm an /animal/ person. All of them."

She rolled her eyes and left.

Now, I have no qualms about a person enjoying the company of one species over another, but what compels people to give you their negative opinions on YOUR choice of companion? I mean, heck.. I'm not a big fan of birds as pets, but I wouldn't walk into a vet's office and say, "Oh, I don't like birds, they suck." to someone who, well, had a bird with them. That's just very rude and unnecessary. Personally, I like dogs and cats equally- I just happen to only have a cat.

What makes my relationship with my loving, well behaved cat different from her and her dog's? Some people just need to grow up. Sorry if this isn't an appropriate topic of discussion, I just needed to mildly vent a bit.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by beturtlement

I just returned from a vet appointment for Niko, today, so he can get a general check up and an update on his shots. When I walked in, there was a woman standing by the reception desk chatting with one of the vet techs. I had set Niko's carrier down on a bench that's just beside her and she looked over at me. I smiled and made some joking comment on how mad he's gonna be at me when we get home for taking him to the vet. She took one look at the carrier, saw that it was a cat, and made this sour milk face, "Oh.. it's a /cat/." She says, all disdainfully. "I don't like cats. I'm a /dog/ person. Cats are inferior." I really had to bite my tongue.

I just said, "Ah. Well, I'm an /animal/ person. All of them."

She rolled her eyes and left.

Now, I have no qualms about a person enjoying the company of one species over another, but what compels people to give you their negative opinions on YOUR choice of companion? I mean, heck.. I'm not a big fan of birds as pets, but I wouldn't walk into a vet's office and say, "Oh, I don't like birds, they suck." to someone who, well, had a bird with them. That's just very rude and unnecessary. Personally, I like dogs and cats equally- I just happen to only have a cat.

What makes my relationship with my loving, well behaved cat different from her and her dog's? Some people just need to grow up. Sorry if this isn't an appropriate topic of discussion, I just needed to mildly vent a bit.
Cats are inferior? That is not a complete sentence. Inferior to what?
I saw a study of statistics on one of the science channels the other night that claimed in the course of a normal day the average person will have a conversation with 2.8 idiots (by definition). Who were the other 1.8 that day?

sohni

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Nobody can make you feel inferior without your consent.
- Eleanor Roosevelt

I always figure it's not worth my time being vexed at someone as I can't change their opinion. Just shrug it off and be happy knowing that your life is richer than hers. I have friends who hate cats but I like them as people anyway, I just feel sorry for them in private (=

wyatturpsmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I really have to agree. My brother happens to have a bird. When he would go out of town, I was the designated sitter. Casey is not very friendly to anyone but my brother, but I still made sure to give him his food (a parrot so lots of fruit), clean water, some attention, etc. The best people are the ones that care about all animals (except creepy crawlie things). I would have more than cats if I lived in a bigger place.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hey, I even like creepy crawly things! Well, some of them, anyway...

There are now more cats than dogs as pets in the U.S., and for some very good reasons, including lower cost, closer living quarters, etc.

I've never been a dog person, but I can appreciate their attraction to many people.

evil dead

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That doesnt make sense to me either. People just assume with out really knowing.

One thing I get a lot is since I like cats I must hate dogs. Thats just plain retarted. Some people are just closed minded, there loss my gain. Argh ....

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That was a very rude and ignorant way for her to behave. She just plain has no manners, never mind the particular opinion she was expressing at the time!

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How rude of that woman.

I just asked Darcy if she was inferior because she is a cat and she said, "how many dogs do you know with opposable thumbs?...nuff said"

zoeysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I bet she's never had a cat before!

I wasn't much of a cat person. I got my first cat because I wasn't in the position to get a dog (no yard, busy, small apartment), thinking we would settle with the cat for a year or two and then get a dog. Well, here were are, not even a year later, and I'm pretty impartial when it comes to getting a dog. Belle thinks she's a dog anyway!

Some people just don't know what is appropriate to say to people and what isn't. I'm sure she didn't mean to be rude, but just doesn't have a clue.

zoeysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

I would have come back with "well MY cat says YOU are inferior to her/him" and smile politely.
LOL...doesn't that lady know that cats are superior to everyone...animals and humans alike!?!

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If someone said something to me like that, I'd end up in the jail where I work, lol. They'd have to let me out of my cell long enough to pass out medicine and then lock me back up.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by zoeysmom

LOL...doesn't that lady know that cats are superior to everyone...animals and humans alike!?!
LOL, don't they say the best defense is a good offense? She's probably been ignored by a cat before and decided the kitty was the inferior one instead of her. Cats are smarter than that..hehe.

I think that was SO rude of her to say. That's like telling a mother that her child was stupid!! All I can say is I feel sorry for her for being so closed minded to anything that doesn't wag it's tail and bark. Honestly, if someone said something like that to me in the vets office, I think I would be speechless!

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Such a rude person

So, you "bit your tongue" - IMO, that shows lots of CLASS & GOOD MANNERS; in other words, you have the gracious dignity & self-control of a cat, and she.....well, let's say, just had to snarl & bark, like an untrained female dog

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How very rude of her regardless of how she felt it was rude for her to say such things to you. Hasn't she ever heard if you can't say something nice don't say anything at all.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Tavia'smom

How very rude of her regardless of how she felt it was rude for her to say such things to you. Hasn't she ever heard if you can't say something nice don't say anything at all.
Yup! Sounds like some sort of clueless,closeminded, smug jerk. I like dogs and cats, both, too. I feel drawn to the cats, tho', which is why I help look after our shelter kitties.

I met a woman recently who.. when she found out I did this said, well, I'm a dog person... YOu know what we call cats? Appetizers! She was kidding, sort of! I told her that I am sorry (for her) that she felt that way.

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree. People can be SO offensive sometimes. I have one co worker that told me that the only good cat is a dead cat...... Holy buckets did I have a time biting my tongue with THAT statement. I thought I was going to bite right through it!!!!! But if I would've said anything, I probably have lost my job, mostly because I would've followed what I said with a good butt kicking!!!!

I hate stupid people!!!!!!!

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
See, it's at times like these you need to say something equally as rude such as 'oh i can't stand children, they are so smelly and disgusting' (in the hopes she actually has a child or two lol)

After all, cats aren't pets, they're family members.

And fine if you don't like them, there is no need for this woman to be so darn rude to you like that.