Just wondering

wildfire203

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
while I was watching a stray eat some cat food I had an idea, I figure there must be something wrong with the idea cause I've never heard anyone try it before. Would it be possiable to mix a animal sleeping pill into the food I give to the strays and then I just sit out there at a distance and wait. I was thinking if there is a fast acting sleeping pill I can get from the vet for a young kitten. Is this a bad idea?

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by wildfire203

while I was watching a stray eat some cat food I had an idea, I figure there must be something wrong with the idea cause I've never heard anyone try it before. Would it be possiable to mix a animal sleeping pill into the food I give to the strays and then I just sit out there at a distance and wait. I was thinking if there is a fast acting sleeping pill I can get from the vet for a young kitten. Is this a bad idea?
Why do you want to give stray cats sleeping pills? There is just something about this that sounds wrong to me.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wildfire203

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
just to try and catch them if you can't use a live animal trap I was just wondering if anyone ever did it before. I'm assuming there is something unsafe about it since I've never heard of anyone doing I was mostly wondering what that is though.

I didn't relise my post didn't really make much since unless you knew I was referring to my preivous post http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=179239

skimble

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have looked into a sedative for trying to trap a dog. We rescued a feral colony of cats and cannot get the dog that has lived with them for at least 4 years. The problems that I have been told in giving a sedative in the food is that you cannot get a correct doseage which could be fatal. Dose is per animal weight. Being a kitten makes that even more unpredictable. Also, IF sedative is given, you have to keep eye contact on the animal. They will become disoriented and may dart into traffic or injure themselves in some way. Very exposed to any natural predator as well. We abandoned this idea.

In your other post LDG gave very sound advice. They will respond to food and a schedule. It does not matter the time of day be it morning or evening. They will follow your lead. I got a kitten over weekend this way. I put the food in the carrier and as soon as their head was in the door I scooped them in and closed the door quickly. They were clueless as to what happened. Kittens are great that way.

You are doing an awesome thing. Keep trying and it will work out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wildfire203

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Skimble

I have looked into a sedative for trying to trap a dog. We rescued a feral colony of cats and cannot get the dog that has lived with them for at least 4 years. The problems that I have been told in giving a sedative in the food is that you cannot get a correct doseage which could be fatal. Dose is per animal weight. Being a kitten makes that even more unpredictable. Also, IF sedative is given, you have to keep eye contact on the animal. They will become disoriented and may dart into traffic or injure themselves in some way. Very exposed to any natural predator as well. We abandoned this idea.

In your other post LDG gave very sound advice. They will respond to food and a schedule. It does not matter the time of day be it morning or evening. They will follow your lead. I got a kitten over weekend this way. I put the food in the carrier and as soon as their head was in the door I scooped them in and closed the door quickly. They were clueless as to what happened. Kittens are great that way.

You are doing an awesome thing. Keep trying and it will work out.
Thanks I have been feeding the kittens everyday at 8pm but I have not gotten the chance to sit out there with them at a distance so they can get use to me (It's been raining) The one I was watching I was watching from my car a good distance away. Thx for the advice and the vibes