Greenies?

happilyretired

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Do you think those Greenies treats really help keep the cat's teeth clean? I ask because my boy loves them. He's having his teeth cleaned today at the vet, and I'll give them to him regularly to help keep his teeth in shape if they really do something. Does anyone know?

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't say I know for sure but I've seen in posts here that they are known to help at least a little.

binkyhoo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I cant answer if they are good at tarter, but my cat loves them. I assume not the best but not the worst. All things in moderation.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
they have a clinical study saying yes ... mine just like them and they have the first ingrediant meat

meowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All I know is that I bought some for my friends cat last year when cat sitting...and what a monster I created!
Apparently she has to have them all the time now.

They are one of the healthier treats, and studiies do suggest they help.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by HappilyRetired

Do you think those Greenies treats really help keep the cat's teeth clean? I ask because my boy loves them. He's having his teeth cleaned today at the vet, and I'll give them to him regularly to help keep his teeth in shape if they really do something. Does anyone know?
Well, I don't even know what the heck Greenies are! I am routing this thread to my subscribed threads and learn what they are. I do not brush my cat's teeth so I would also like to know about anything that can help in that department!

ms.blackie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
All I know my cat runs the fastest when you throw greenies down the
hall.
She loves them. Only 2 calories in each, I just checked that
last week on the chicken one.
I also read they were good for teeth some where.

angelwing

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I haven't tried them before or know what the actual treat looks like. Maybe if it's big and hard enough it can clean their teeth to some extent? I've just been brushing my cat's teeth but my boy hates it. I'm getting some raw chicken necks this week to try them on. Hopefully it works, I've heard good things.

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Zoey loves her Greenies

The other cats like them but they don't get as excited as she does.

ktlynn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Like a lot of other kitties, my little guy loved Greenies too. Unfortunately, my dental tech gave Greenies a big thumbs down. Because they're so hard, they can actually fracture teeth. Now my boy gets a C.E.T. chew after dinner each night - he loves those. And, we're working on brushing those little teeth of his!

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My guys love their greenies - in fact, once my boy snuck outside and I lured him to me with a trail of greenies, so they must taste better than even a bit of freedom!

For what it's worth, I also add Oxyfresh to their drinking water. My vet said it's not as good as brushing, but that cats can be 'problematical' brushers. No kidding!

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's one of the few treats Kit will actually eat but I don't give them often enough to know if they work for keeping teeth clean. I do understand that the CET chews work.

Head's up! Greenies for dogs (totally different from the cat treats) have sometimes broken off in large chunks and become stuck in dog's throats. You're advised to only give them to dogs while they are being supervised.

mew03

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just discovered Greenies and the cats are very glad I did. I was a little skeptical at first but they look healthier than any other cat treats that I've found, plus only two calories, good news for Keith. (got him on a little diet.....)

angelwing

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have seen those C.E.T. chews before. Are they really smelly and flavourfull? Are they really beneficial?

ktlynn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Angelwing

I have seen those C.E.T. chews before. Are they really smelly and flavourfull? Are they really beneficial?
The chews come in two flavors, poultry and fish. Neither seems particularly smelly to me, but cats have much better senses of smell and taste. My youngest cat loves both, my older ones don't like either flavor!!! Like anything else, some cats will like them, some won't.

The chews contain enzymes that have an antiseptic effect to help kill bacteria, and are supposed to be abrasive enough to help remove plaque and loosen tartar. But no treats can replace brushing, so treats alone will not prevent tartar build-up.
Unless you and your cat are really lucky, there's nothing that's truly effective except brushing and dental cleanings.

angelwing

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh, I realise that and my cats are definitely not lucky! Paige will let me brush her teeth but Gabriel absolutely hates it. Hopefully with time he will tolerate it to an extent. I just wanted the extra help, you know? As long as it's somewhat beneficial.

piikki

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KTLynn

Like a lot of other kitties, my little guy loved Greenies too. Unfortunately, my dental tech gave Greenies a big thumbs down. Because they're so hard, they can actually fracture teeth.
Well... that would be a downer...

I am actually a bit confused about the benefit of Greenies with my kitties. One won't touch them. Two run to the bag when I rattle it. One will then proceed to chew them but more than half of the Greenies actually fall out of his mouth as he chews them (so he gets good workout but does not get calories for sure). And the one who really needs the dental workout will honk them down whole!!! Maybe like one crunch per five Greenies!!!

Anyway, what I do now is feed the Greenies to my tartar-boy by hand. I wonder if that is healthy though (esp the tooth-cracking thing). I feed them to his back teeth that are the problem, and get him to chew them pretty well. He was pretty confused of this at first but still loves them. (Has not learnt anything though. If I give them whole, he'll still vacuums them down in one piece).

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess I feed them only because the love them. When Maggie was a kitten, she would get the worst gas from them. Luckily she out grew that.

Jordan also likes N-Bone Chew Sticks. He actually chews those, problem is the one who really needs them (Isaac) won't touch them.

Jordan loves the Greenie Pill pockets too. No benifit for his teeth, it just makes pilling him a lot easier. He will darn near take my fingers off to get one and is not at all detered by the pill in the center.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KTLynn

Unless you and your cat are really lucky, there's nothing that's truly effective except brushing and dental cleanings.
Gnawing on raw bones and tearing chunks of raw meat are also believed to be effective.