Dumb parents. 10 year old seeing Saw 5? (The horror movie)

baloneysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I saw the movie Saw 5 on Saturday. I loved it! As I do most horror movies. Oh my gosh, was it ever nasty though LOL.

Anyway, in the theater I saw a family of 4 (I think it was a family). A Mom and Dad, a 19ish year old and beside them was this little kid. He had to be around 10-12ish years old. I was totally shocked! How could you possibly think it is even remotely OK letting your little kid see Saw. Every time something really nasty happened in the film I felt so sorry for this little kid thinking he is probably going to be scared for months over this or heâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s is going to be seriously messed up.

I debated on telling one of the workers but I didnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t. I just thought that it is pretty idiotic and cruel to let a little kid see Saw.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do not watch those kind of movies either.
My Dad worked for cable tv for over 40 years and we could watch the pay channels free. We were never allowed to watch anything rated r even and he had something that blocked the stations that had r movies on.
That kid is way to young to see that kind of movie.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor kid, I hope he doesn't have nightmares from it.

Many parents don't monitor what their kids watch, and there are movies, books, TV shows, and animated shows that are not appropriate for kids. It always surprises me, too. It takes extra effort to scout out shows beforehand. I can't believe how many little kids watch Family Guy because their parents think cartoons are for kids.

erzsebet

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have to completely agree with you. There is no reason a parent should allow their child to see something as disgusting as that!!!!! It's rated R FOR A REASON!!!!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I grew up watching R rated movies. I remember watching Aliens when it came out to VHS - that had to have been around late '86 or early '87, and would have made me around 3-4 years old. Someone listed the movie Demon Seed for a D in the movie thread - I first watched that around 4-5 years old too. If anyone has seen that one....

I never had nightmares or was even scared by anything like that. I guess I was either desensitized or learned the difference between reality and fiction very early on in life.
So it could go either way with a child. Watching the evening news is a lot scarier anyways...

I see nothing wrong with it if a 10 year old is mature enough and the parents are there.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

I grew up watching R rated movies. I remember watching Aliens when it came out to VHS - that had to have been around late '86 or early '87, and would have made me around 3-4 years old. Someone listed the movie Demon Seed for a D in the movie thread - I first watched that around 4-5 years old too. If anyone has seen that one....

I never had nightmares or was even scared by anything like that. I guess I was either desensitized or learned the difference between reality and fiction very early on in life.
So it could go either way with a child. Watching the evening news is a lot scarier anyways...

I see nothing wrong with it if a 10 year old is mature enough and the parents are there.
I'm with you on this one. Our daughter has always been a huge fan of horror movies and she's turned out pretty normal if I do say so myself.

I remember her having a friend over to watch Gremlins one time and apparently the little girl had nightmares that night. Naturally her parents chewed my husband and I out but we had no idea that some kids would be so sensitive since we had a daughter that wasn't.

I do think it depends on the child, the relationship with their parents, and whether they realize it is not real and just a movie for starters.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
^ I loved Gremlins, I even had a stuffed Mogway toy. If I ever happen to come across one in a store I'd have to buy another one.

yam102284

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I'm also with you on this. I think it's okay, as long as the parents are with them and the kids is old enough to understand the movie. It's a lot better then the kid sneaking out to see it behind the parents back. The kid would probably get ahold of it once it comes out on DVD or even before it comes out, so it's better that the parents are with them.

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I watched horror movies when I was very young, too. I think it just depends on the kid. I can remember staying home from school with the chicken pox in kindergarten and watching the Exorcist. They just never bothered me. I mean, yes, I was scared during the movie like everyone else, but I had a clear understanding when it was over that it was not real life. My brother on the other hand is 12 now and he still doesn't watch horror movies or he'd never go to sleep at night.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just to let everyone know, parents especially. If you have a rental account with a store and set it up so that your kids can come in and rent, they will be allowed to rent rated R movies unless the account is set up so that they can't or all employees know not to rent these movies to a customer's children.
Generally this isn't a problem unless a seventeen year old with over protective parents rents.

Unrated movies can be rented to all - most movies now have unrated versions that come out.

Mature/adult movies and games are 18 or 21+ only depending on state.

So yes, they could just go rent it when it gets to dvd.... baring that, many steal.

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Eons ago, when 'Hellraiser 2' was released, DH & I were waiting for the movie to start when in walks a couple carrying a little girl about 4 y/o. She was asleep---at first. About half way thru the film she woke up and cried during the rest of the movie. I don't remember much about the movie because I kept thinking about that poor little kid and the nightmares she was going to have.

oscarsmommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG! I am 23 years old and I cannot watch those movies:n because I get nightmares! I can't even go haunted houses and such this time of the year because we will be sleeping with our closet and bathroom door shut for a while....

going nova

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I watched scary movies when I was ~5yrs. old, and I turned out fine.

ladylonewolf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't even watch horror movies anymore - they've gotten way too out of hand for me! I am so careful what my son watches (he'll be 4 in January) because he is on the sensitive side; I couldn't imagine the nightmares he'd have if he were exposed to something like that.

I watched horror movies when I was younger, and very few of them (with the exception of "Poltergeist") bothered me. 10 years old, to me, might still be a little young to grasp something like what goes on in any of the "Saw" movies. There are kids who are mature enough to separate reality from that sort of fantasy at that age, but some of them aren't; and even if they were mature enough to handle it, I definitely wouldn't condone it without the parents being there. But that's just me.

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I couldn't even watch "The Shining" with the rest of my family when I was high school age. I have always been really scared of those types of movies. My little sister watched all sorts of scary stuff and read scary books also but almost every time she watched or read something scary, I would get awakened in the middle of the night by her wanting to join me in bed because she was having nightmares. She would just lay there shaking because she was so scared...I never saw the point in exposing myself to stuff that scary.

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay I watched some scary movies when I was little but I shouldn't have I would sneak and watch it when the older kids were watching them and I would have horrible nightmares and I knew they weren't real but it didn't help the nightmares. And I watched what I would call mild werewolf movies and of course the freddie movies I never could watch jason it was too gorey and I do not like gorey movies now at all. I know someone who lets their kids watch movies like saw and their sister and brother does too and their youngest is 2 years old. I think you have to know your kids to know what they can handle but still do we really want to expose kids to all of the other bad stuff on those movies most of them have way too much sexuall content as well so now I would not let my kids watch saw. I might however let them watch a psychological thriller like the Skeleton Key but there is no blood or guts in that movie and no naked people.

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I started watching horror movies around 10-11, but my parents would never allow me to watch gory movies like Saw. I love the Saw series, and am looking forward to seeing Saw V. Last time we went to the theaters (to see the 4th one), there was a woman who brought a tiny baby with her to a late show. What the
?! I know it probably will never remember any of it, but still.

When we saw Superbad, a guy had a 6-7 yr old son with him. He didn't care about the F-word flying around every other word in a sentence, but when the boobs came on screen he grabbed the kid and ran out. What did you expect in a rated R movie with that type of "comedy"?

I went to see 300, and they carded me (20), Rob (21), and Daniel (22). Four kids went to the counter in front of me, OBVIOUSLY much younger than myself (probably about 13 if that) and bought tickets to see one of the Saw movies without being asked for any ID.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

baloneysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I too watched horror movies as a child. I turned out fine I think. Horror movies have come a long way though. Saw, Hostel, Rob Zombie movies are a new age of super extreme horror. Poltergeist, Elm Street, Jason are like Disney flicks compared to the new age horror flicks.

I would never want my child to watch such extreme horror. When my kid is maybe 16ish and over and they REALLY want to watch it and I know mentally they are cool with that. Or I have watched other horror flicks such as “The ring†(PG 13) or even something A rated and are cool with that then maybe. At age 10… it just seems so wrong. I wouldnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t mind my 10 year old watching scary movies…. Just not extreme horror ones.

I donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t know why anyone would want to desensitize their child at such a young age to extreme violence and extreme sex.