Goodbye Snickers.

ladylonewolf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Snickers somehow got out yesterday afternoon. By the time I got out the door to catch him, he had already made it to the corner....and was hit by a car. I scooped him up in my arms and took him straight to the emergency vet, but there just wasn't anything they could do for him. I mercifully had him PTS to take away his misery.

My son (who is 3 1/2) is absolutely devastated; just two days ago he was sitting on the floor with Snickers telling him "I love you, kitty".

I feel so horrible. And guilty. Maybe if I'd have run faster I could have caught him in time. It was like it all happened in some awful kind of slow-motion.

He was only with me for just shy of two weeks. He had really settled in during that short period of time; he allowed me to brush him, bathe him, and he was starting to get very vocal with me.

I've been told that at least I was kind enough to give him a good home, since he was a stray. And that I made that short part of his life better. But it really doesn't make my house seem less empty now.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear about Snickers. I know you were excited to have him, and it sounded like he was settling in well. I've seen a couple of our cats (before I was an adult, and kept them inside) get hit by a car right in front of me, and I've brought even more than that in out of the street. It's so easy to second-guess and feel guilty, but you can't explain to them that you're keeping them inside for their own good, and going outside can be their biggest mistake.

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh I am so sorry. It has to be so hard for you. I know how fast they can get out the door. My cats have done that to me. It is such a hard shocking loss.

R.I.P Snickers, forever young over the bridge.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How devsatating....... my condolences to you all....

Rest In Peace Snickers

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your loss.
Snickers was a beautiful boy and even though your time with him was short, you did indeed make a difference in his life by loving him. RIP sweet boy.

zoeysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I know how quickly you can fall in love with a cat and how hard it is when they are taken away from you! In time, perhaps you and your son will open your hearts up to another kitty in need.

RIP Snickers!

mammacat53

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am so sorry to hear about Snickers. I know how you are feeling it's hard losing a beloved pet even if they are fairly new.

"I will always remember the tabby who taught me that not all relationships are meant to last forever. Sometimes, just an hour is enough to touch your heart.â€

(Barbara L. Diamond)

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sending prayers and vibes of healing and comfort to your little boy and you You will be in my thoughts during these sad days.
When my grandson was just shy of 4 yrs., we took my first JC to the vet because he was gagging & I thought he'd swallowed a splinter or something. It was throat cancer, and it was so difficult to take my grandson home, so I could return to JC to be put down. My grandson couldn't understand why JC wasn't coming home with us, and why I had to go back

babywukong

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your loss. Cats get out of doors at a lightning quick speed, and they are extremely fleet-footed. Its not your fault for not getting to Snickers fast enough. I'm sure you did all you could
Snickers is in a better place now, perhaps where all cars are the size of little mice where HE can run them over instead. I do hope the emotional scars heal soon... Healing vibes for you and your little boy

Rest in Peace, Angel Snickers

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by zoeysmom

I know how quickly you can fall in love with a cat and how hard it is when they are taken away from you! In time, perhaps you and your son will open your hearts up to another kitty in need.

RIP Snickers!
Well said -- you are in my thoughts, as you both work throurgh this difficult time.

RIP sweet Snickers

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ladylonewolf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by zoeysmom

RIP Snickers!
We're actually going to look at another kitty this Saturday. I wasn't expecting to look so quickly - I was actually going to wait until after the holidays. But someone my husband works with has to move, and unfortunately, her new apartment complex won't let her take both of her cats, so one of them needs a new home. She sounds like a wonderful cat, from what I've been told, so I'm definitely going to go and meet her on Saturday. While she'll never be Snickers (nor do I want her to be), I have lots of love to give her, and she sounds like she might need some right now.

zoeysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm glad that you are able to consider a new cat already. I know that once you get used to having one in the house, it is hard to adjust to the "peace and quiet" of a empty house.

I only had Zoey a few months before she got sick and in her last month, it was all about her. I was so used to feeding her, giving her medications, taking her to the vet, and "zoey-proofing" the house that it was heart breaking to be in the house without her. It wasn't long before I was looking for something to fill that void. Zoey was my first cat (and I was never a cat person before her) and I learned a lot about cats during her time with me. As a result, I feel I'm able to feed and care for Belle and Delilah much better than I would have if they were my first cats. They do not for one second replace Zoey...she will always have a piece of my heart - and I think about her everyday. We tell Belle and Delilah about their big sister who was so sweet and loving and such a fighter!

Snickers opened your heart up to having a cat in the house. Although his time with you was short, I am sure that his legacy in your home will live on for a very long time. that you are able to find a new friend to share your love with.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by LadyLoneWolf

We're actually going to look at another kitty this Saturday. I wasn't expecting to look so quickly - I was actually going to wait until after the holidays. But someone my husband works with has to move, and unfortunately, her new apartment complex won't let her take both of her cats, so one of them needs a new home. She sounds like a wonderful cat, from what I've been told, so I'm definitely going to go and meet her on Saturday. While she'll never be Snickers (nor do I want her to be), I have lots of love to give her, and she sounds like she might need some right now.
Maybe Snickers had a paw in your learning about this kitty. He would certainly know there is love to be had in your household. I hope it works out for all of you.

tab

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by rapunzel47

Maybe Snickers had a paw in your learning about this kitty. He would certainly know there is love to be had in your household. I hope it works out for all of you.
i truly believe in this. my gorgeous rb boy thomas was with me for only 9 wonderful months before ending his life as your precious snickers did. i heard the squeal of brakes, saw my boy running away and thought he was ok. he was found by my neighbour curled up under her car a few hours later, looked as though he was asleep but he'd gone.

his passing led me to find janet, who had lost his owner so it seemed that we both needed each other.

i'm so sorry that you lost your boy in such tragic circumstances, but take comfort in knowing that he loved you and was so grateful for the home you gave him.

RIP precious boy.