Something is wrong with TOE!!

chrishorse

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone. I'm writing this because I am very concerned about my kitty. He's my 26 toed monster and I love him to death. For about 2 days now he has been acting very strangely. All of his movements seem to be in slow motion. He doesn't open his eyes all of the way most of the time. When he jumps off the bed he seems to fall. He is just not himself at all. I have not seen him eat or drink until just a few moments ago I brought him a dish of cold cold water and he drank for 3 minutes straight. It is the weekend and the vet is closed. He will be there tomorrow morning I can guarantee you that. I'm just wondering if any of you good ppl have had a cat suddenly change like this. He seems like a different cat completely. He does not react to anyone walking in the room. he just lays there. Please help if you have any idea. What should I do for today?

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ChrisHorse

Hi everyone. I'm writing this because I am very concerned about my kitty. He's my 26 toed monster and I love him to death. For about 2 days now he has been acting very strangely. All of his movements seem to be in slow motion. He doesn't open his eyes all of the way most of the time. When he jumps off the bed he seems to fall. He is just not himself at all. I have not seen him eat or drink until just a few moments ago I brought him a dish of cold cold water and he drank for 3 minutes straight. It is the weekend and the vet is closed. He will be there tomorrow morning I can guarantee you that. I'm just wondering if any of you good ppl have had a cat suddenly change like this. He seems like a different cat completely. He does not react to anyone walking in the room. he just lays there. Please help if you have any idea. What should I do for today?
Does he really have 26 toes? Well, yes, take him to the vet tomorrow. I cannot tell you why he would suddenly change like that but cats are very moody and tempermental of course. My cats do act very different on different days but your slow motion description dictates to get him to the vet.

skimble

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You are doing the right thing by taking him to the vet. It could be most anything. Did he get into any type of chemical maybe walked in some cleaning solution and licked his paws? Infection of some type. Neurological problem?

Hope he gets better soon.

straymagnet

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My mom had a cat who was diabetic and had some of those symptoms until she got his medication levels figured out. It didn't come on suddenly, though. She noticed he drank excessively and then started being very lethargic and sometimes dopey acting - kind of like what you describe. He had to have regular shots - just like a human diabetic. I'd get to the vet as soon as absolutely possible.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chrishorse

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the replies friends. Yes he really does have 26 toes. Last I checked he is one away from the record. He's my boy.. I really hope he's ok. I have not seen him poo in two days. Does anyone think he may act like this is he's badly constipated? I do not believe he could have gotten into any chemicals. I'm not sure we even have any. I will keep you all posted. Hopefully I can get him in very early tomorrow.

chrishorse

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
p.s. How did you folks post pics or your kitties next to your names?

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ChrisHorse

p.s. How did you folks post pics or your kitties next to your names?
there should be a link at the top between the 'new posts' one & the 'shop menu' that says 'your cats'. you can go there to create a page for your cat & upload a pic. once it's completed, the little pix show up to the right of your username.
then there are user icons [to the left of the username] & those are selected via the 'user CP' link & the profile options.
you'l need more posts for either of those, tho.
TCS member titles & perks

chrishorse

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the info. Sadly the earliest appointment I could get was 4:40 so I have plenty of time to post my kitties.

phillygal

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It could be one of a number of things.....cats are sooo good at hiding when they feel badly. I am praying that it is something "simple" and that he will be back to his old self very soon. Take care!

chrishorse

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks friends. I hope it's something simple too. I will spare no expense if that is not the case though. He means the world to me.

chrishorse

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just back from the vet. Still not sure what exactly is wrong but he is dehydrated and he has a pretty bad fever. They are keeping him there tonight, putting him on some fluids and running some blood work. I'm so worried. They will be calling tonight to give an update.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope he will be ok.
Last Jan my Meeko acted that way amd her fever was almost 105.
It took awhile but she is fine now except for her eye problems.
How old is he?

shashagirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
For Toe's recovery. Captain had the same symptoms a couple years ago. Lethargic, no appititie, fever 105, dehydrated, and vomiting. I don't know if your kitty is vomiting, but the other symptoms sound the same. He too stayed at the vet overnight. The diagnosis was unclear but his liver and biliruben were really high. His symptoms came on suddenly and the vet thinks he had eaten something toxic. The only thing that saved him was IV fluids. He recovered the next day! We did blood work a week later and everything was normal. He did get sick a couple of times but not as bad over the course of a year, but we were able to treat him at home with sub q fluids. The vet did tell me that he may get sick again although his blood work was normal because it takes a little while for the liver to completely heal after trauma.

chrishorse

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just got the second call from the vet after the rest of the bloodwork was done. All seems fine. That is great, but now they still dont know what went wrong. I just converted his temperature from celcius to fahrenheit and his was at 105.44 today. Yikes. They are going to do some x-rays in the morning and give me a call. He's on fluids and a broad spectrum antibiotic. They said he's doing well, and he does have his favorite shoe with him so hopefully he's able to sleep well. I will update tomorrow afternoon. Thanks so much for all of your encouragement.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thats how Meeko was. She would just lay there and do nothing when she had the fever.
She did not even eat.
Is he on clavamox?
Meeko had that but it took 4 days before she acted ok.
It moght take a while for your cat also.
The vet said they do not want to eat with fevers.
She also got some shot for her not eating and fever.

naia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
More for Toe!

... and your cats are SO cute!!!