Asking for a food recommendation

cinder

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Nine of my cats live in what I refer to as the cat barn. It's a converted hay storage shed that I moved my feral colony to when I moved here from town.

I have always fed dry, Science Diet and Nutro, but now age and ailments are causing me to have to switch. The vet recommended I go to all wet based on several who must lose weight, one borderline diabetic, etc. When I asked for a recommendation he only said that it had to show meat as the primary ingredient. (after water) This is going to put a major dent in my pocketbook for sure so I have to consider cost. Keep in mind that it's not a situation where I can separate them for feeding.

Do you have any suggestions?

j fred muggs

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
buy in large quanties, get a rubber maid trash can, and some plastic bags
put the feed in a trash can, and feed from there. check the feed stores
maybe bulk will be cheaper. i know your problems. i am on disability
i "hear ya" ..trust in the lord. .but look for sales.. "B"

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Dry food is harder to find a "good" and budget mided ..

canned .. BUY big cans 13oz... just read the labels avoid the word meat by product ...

you can get away with friskies , 9 lives

neetanddave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I find the Indoor Formula dry foods are good, Cinder. I switch between Meow Mix, 9 Lives and they do well on both. They also digest more of them, so less poo and they eat less since its more nutritous.

I feed Friskies wet as well, Wal Mart sells it in a 4 pack for around $8.

Good luck switching foods.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by neetanddave

I find the Indoor Formula dry foods are good, Cinder. I switch between Meow Mix, 9 Lives and they do well on both. They also digest more of them, so less poo and they eat less since its more nutritous.

I feed Friskies wet as well, Wal Mart sells it in a 4 pack for around $8.

Good luck switching foods.
YMMV.. but MOST indoor foods have more fiber ( indigestible matter) , less protein and fat ( what cats need)

Overall NOT more but Less nutrition

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cinder

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The vet says I need to go all wet. I give them 9 Lives flaked tuna now as a treat and I see by the can that the primary ingredient is tuna. (duh
) It doesn't come in the large cans though. A four pack of the smaller cans is $1.55 at Petsmart and slightly less at Walmart, but they don't always have it. It used to be .99.

He insists it's the only way I'll get any weight off the chubs, and if I don't get Jool slimmed down I'm afraid I'll have to start her on insulin.

Their ages range from 5 to 14, and although they eat the same food, some are quite sleek and others are plain fat. Carb junkies according to the vet. He said there is no dry that I can free feed and get any results. I wonder if I can get a discount if I buy it by the pallet?

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
since you are looking for specific health reasons I suggest feeding a better food than the grocery store brands.
You can go by the feed store and ask for big cans and ask for discounts. The chances are you will get a deal, since most feed stores are owned by real people you can actually talk with! You will probably really be pleased what deals you can work out.
I suggest feeding Chicken Soup for the Cat Lovers Soul, it comes in a big cans and has worked really great for my cat and others that I know. Good luck in this.
You can also search online for great deals and buy food by the case and have it shipped to your home, there are oftentimes coupons online.
www.petfooddirect.com gives out coupons, there are others.