Ouchies...Attack Cat!

firecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, I read the sticky above.

But even reading through that I'm confused as to why my cat is attacking me at random, climbing up my back suddenly, and ignoring toys in favor of biting me. :/

He's only 6 months, he could be playing, but I have so many scratches now that its starting to worry me. Scaring him with spray doesn't do anything it just seems to aggravate him more.

Maybe its my fault. When I'm in bed under the duvet and he's pouncing my feet I'll wiggle them for fun; he can't hurt me under the duvet.

Maybe he can smell that the wiggle is me.

I don't mind him scratching stuff, but not me. I had a cry this morning, actually I'm tearing up a bit now, because I mentally thought that maybe I should reconsider declawing. But then I think about the shelter cats who were declawed who were so frail and attacked by other cats and I get scared. I could never hurt my cat like that! Its vengeful thinking that.

But he won't let me clip his nails! He'll be so docile and sleeping but when I clip one nail he'll be right awake and skittish, ears folded.

Other than these moments of agression, he's a funny, cuddly normal cat.

Should I try felliway or something like that?

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Firecat

Yes, I read the sticky above.

But even reading through that I'm confused as to why my cat is attacking me at random, climbing up my back suddenly, and ignoring toys in favor of biting me. :/

He's only 6 months, he could be playing, but I have so many scratches now that its starting to worry me. Scaring him with spray doesn't do anything it just seems to aggravate him more.

Maybe its my fault. When I'm in bed under the duvet and he's pouncing my feet I'll wiggle them for fun; he can't hurt me under the duvet.

Maybe he can smell that the wiggle is me.

I don't mind him scratching stuff, but not me. I had a cry this morning, actually I'm tearing up a bit now, because I mentally thought that maybe I should reconsider declawing. But then I think about the shelter cats who were declawed who were so frail and attacked by other cats and I get scared. I could never hurt my cat like that! Its vengeful thinking that.

But he won't let me clip his nails! He'll be so docile and sleeping but when I clip one nail he'll be right awake and skittish, ears folded.

Other than these moments of agression, he's a funny, cuddly normal cat.

Should I try felliway or something like that?
Two questions come to mind. How old was he when he left his Mom? The second is did you ever make fast, aggressive movements towards him with your hands? I have used Feliway on my cats but for new environment issues.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

firecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Persi & Alley

Two questions come to mind. How old was he when he left his Mom? The second is did you ever make fast, aggressive movements towards him with your hands? I have used Feliway on my cats but for new environment issues.
No, I don't think I've made any aggressive moves towards HIM with my hands, but now that you mention it I do have Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, and sometimes I pace the floor over and over again motioning with my hands and talking to myself. Maybe that freaks him out?

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Kittens go completely nutty at times...
When you see "that look" in his eyes, have a toy near by to distract him. Get a lazer pointer. They are really inexpensive at office supply stores. If he enjoys chasing the light, use it to distract him when he comes at you. Just don't aim it at his eyes.

About claw clipping.....
It might be useful if you run your kitty to the vet for a claw clipping asap.

Also, when he is relaxed, gently and very slowly, rub your fingers in between his toes.
By doing this over and over, you will condition him to allow you to handle his paws for claw clipping.

When you feel yourself getting upset, take some slow, deep breaths and focus on the fact that you have one of the most amazing beings on the planet as your companion.
In time, maybe both of you will calm down...together.

skimble

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I bottle fed two male orphaned kittens from a week old. One of them would do the same thing. They are one year old now and he will sometimes, not often, jump on my back. He out grew the habit for the most part.

I think he is playing. I know mine was. He is my "into everything" cat. Rarely when I bend over to scoop litter or clean in general, he will jump on my back and hang his head off my shoulder to watch. His brother/littermate has never bothered to do this.

Distract him and maybe turn in a circle and move. I screamed some to discourage this. He will probably out grow most of the behavior.

If you read more on declawing you will find that it will likely cause other unwanted behaviors that are much worse. Give him some time. Best of luck to you.

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is he neutered yet? I also agree to bring him to have his nails clipped if you can't do it yourself. I also agree to give him time. My cat didn't outgrow his kittenish behavoir til he was a year and a few months old. Thats why i call him "naughty boy"

Give it time, don't give up. I would also advise against playing with him under the duvet...he is viewing you as a toy and can't distinguish between why playing under the duvet is acceptable but not at other times.

khayos

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
yeah if he's not neutered, I'd schedule an appointment. I find that helps a lot with a variety of behavioral issues.

wearymicrobe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Neutering will definitely help him with aggression. I find that distraction then reward is the key thing though. When he is frisky break out the laser pointer or ball and lete him run out some energy, then reward with a small treat. When he/she goes for you look at him/her and say "AHH AHH" loud and sharp he will get the point pretty quickly.

You are lucky you have a kitten, they take to training a lot easier then a grow cat. Plus they can do less damage, I had a 24+ LB coon that thouhgt it was fun to run at me full bore and climb up my legs for a while before we broke the habit. Also depending on breed and size a cat can bite through a comforter and a blanket and a sheet at the same time and get to your toes full grown. It makes for a very unhappy wife, I know.