New with lots of questions

3men and a baby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, My name is Amy and I am the proud new owner of 2 Siberian cats.

This is Keller (she is deaf, hence Helen Keller)
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j2...AZY/keller.jpg

And her baby girl Macy, the one in the back (named after Helen's tutor)
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j2...CRAZY/macy.jpg

I got them for free from a lady who said she could no longer have them due to the fact that they have ringworm. She lives with a family member who is ill and said that ringworm would compromise her immune system. The more I talked to her the more the story changed. She said something about the parents of Keller being "pyramid cats" and that she paid a lot of money for them. I am wondering now if she was a small breeder who didn't want to infect the rest of her cats so she got rid of these really fast. She drove 3 1/2 hrs to give me these TICA registered cats for free, along with medicine and belongings. I'm not sure what the real story is and my imagination is running wild with stories. They are beautiful cats but look a little rough right now. She shaved Keller to treat her. This is how she looked tonight.
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j2...lerandmacy.jpg

It wouldn't let me post the pictures for some reason.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Awww well whatever the reason behind her handing these two beauties over to you, you have them now. What gorgeous girls they are. Im sure they will fill your heart and your home with lots of love.

Im not familiar with treating ringworm but you can find lots of threads on here about it, if you do a search.

Welcome to you and to your new gorgeous girls to TCS. I hope we get to see lots of pics of those precious girls

sport

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Welcome......Wow, what an arrival story. They are adoreable cats. You will find a lot of good people here, and alot of good advice.

Rob & Sport

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Hi Amy,

I am so glad that you, Keller and Macy, have joined our community of caring people who love cats.
I see that you posted a thread about ringworm.
Armed with knowledge and perseverance, you can beat it.

As you learn your way around our site, if you have questions, I would be happy to help you. Feel free to contact me by clicking on my user name, then send a Private Message.
I will get back to you asap.

captiva

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome ! What beauties! Whatever the reason you got them, at least they are in your home now and I'm sure they will be very happy with you for years to come. I'm sure you will overcome the ringworm soon. Just follow your vet's advice

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

3men and a baby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much! They seem to be very nice cats!
I have been concerned about the ringworm since the previous owners thought it was serious enough to get rid of them. I was always under the assumption that it wasn't THAT bad.

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hola y bienvenido a TCS, ...Catulina
y Milky
te saludan!!!

(Translate: Hi and Welcome to TCS, Catulina and Milky say hello to you!!!...
)

See you on the forums!

3men and a baby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is there a vaccine to prevent ringworm?

wyatturpsmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by 3men and a baby

Is there a vaccine to prevent ringworm?
This is something I have some experience with. Ringworm is basically like athlete's foot. Depending on your vet (my last cat with this) I was given a special shampoo. I needed to bathe Sammy twice a week and the other 2 once a week for about a month. If this is the treatment, be sure to ask for the stuff to keep their eyes closed so the medicine doesn't get in their eyes. Also, be aware that if you get any of the medicine too close to their mouth, they may foam. You have to be careful bathing around the face, but it can be done. Fortuntely, all of mine were still kittens, but the kitchen (and me) was a wet mess. Have lots of towels on hand.

The vet said that it could return if the cat was in distress, but Sammy lived until he was 13 and I never saw another sign of it.

3men and a baby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok, we did the bath thing last night and the kitten was no problem...but Keller
She fought so bad I couldn't do it. I'm going to try again but I didn't want to risk getting scratched and infected.

wyatturpsmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by 3men and a baby

Ok, we did the bath thing last night and the kitten was no problem...but Keller
She fought so bad I couldn't do it. I'm going to try again but I didn't want to risk getting scratched and infected.
You could try the bathtub. To avoid getting it yourself, just make sure you wash thoroughly. Many, many years ago I had another kitten with ringworm and I did get it on my hand. My doctor said it wasn't a big deal, gave me some pills and said to use Tinactin. With Sammy, I never got it, I was much more careful.