My poor stray cat we rescued

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We had not seen him for 3 days and have been worried sick about him. He never wanted to be a part of my household, he has always wanted the free hand outs and to live like a hobo. We try the best we can to watch out for him and keep him fed and vetted if neccessary. BW(his name) disappeared 3 days ago and we have been calling for him for days. We finally asked our neighbor if she saw him and she had not. We went out to her garage where the strays stay and heard BW crying in distress but we couldn't figure out where he could be. Finally we picked up a tire that had a rim on it and poor BW had been pinned under the tire for at least 3 days. Poor BW had peed all over himself and was starving. I brought him home and bathed him(he still reeks) and were getting food in him. My question is can he get that fatty liver disease from not eating for 3 days and what symptoms am I looking for? He is a 18 pound cat last we had him weighed at the vet. He is hungry and eating well. I just hope there won't be any side affects from lack of food for 3 days. I feel so bad for him. He has been bathed and he still reeks he will stay the night in the house until he is ok. He hates the house!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If he is eating chances are he'll be fine. When they get liver failure they don't want to eat and have to be assisted fed in order to get the liver functioning again. It's a catch-22, the liver fails and needs food to restart it but the cat doesn't feel like eating, hence the assisted feeding.

So, having said that, as long as he is eating he's probably fine, but keep an eye on him to ensure he continues to eat.

zoeysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Poor BW!
I'm glad you found hime! I hope that he is OK after his ordeal! Maybe this will scare him enough that he'll be satisfied to stay inside. Are you able to keep him in if he chooses?

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A cat will become accustomed to being inside if they are not allowed out. If you persist and give him love, safety, entertainment and food, he will eventually become used to being indoors, which is the safest place for him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by zoeysmom

Poor BW!
I'm glad you found hime! I hope that he is OK after his ordeal! Maybe this will scare him enough that he'll be satisfied to stay inside. Are you able to keep him in if he chooses?
Yes, We have tried several times to keep him indoors. He really hates it and he pees on everything when he comes in the house. We had him fixed when he started hanging around several years ago. My neighbor and I both feed him and get him vet care. We both also offer him heated shelter in our garages since he hates the indoor life, it was in my neighbors garage that the tire fell and trapped him underneath. We have 6 indoor cats and one more wouldn't be a problem. We bathed him and kept him in all night last night. He wanted right back out this morning. He doesn't like my cats either. He is a scrapper. We are really trying to work with him. We have been taking care of him for several years. I don't want anything bad to happen to him.

BW would have to reside to being an indoor only cat because of concerns for my indoor cats. I can't have him running in and out of the house bringing in diseases to the indoor cats. I have a lot invested in my indoor cats.

zoeysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Cats are just too darn resilient! It sounds like you are doing everything you can to keep him safe and happy outdoors. I understand your concern for your other cats! By the sounds of it he is feeling better after his freak run-in with a tire!