tcs saved the claws of 2 kittens!!! thanks!

ronnycage

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
ok I was supposed to move in with a girlfriends moms house to save money just until I bought a house and the stipulation from her mother was that I needed to have the 2 kittens declawed... I looked into this. my moms cats have been declawed so I thought nothing of it. took the kittens to the pre-op appointment to ensure their health and they were fine and even scheduled the appointment. I joined the site 2 days before their appointment and thought id look into the declawing precedure.

honestly its alot of money and I looked into the alternatives. I also remember as a child that my moms cats never acted quite the same after having the procedure done. Ive tried alot of things like the caps for the nails clipping the nails has to become a habit and scratch mats. finally I just have to understand I cant have nice furniture if I and my kitties want to be happy.

so I used the money (that was saved for the procedure) to get my own apartment and now the girlfriends moving home on her own and i'll be free with just the 2 kittens!!! which shall be nice. your one post def convinced me. thanks tcs!!!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nice testimony. Your kitties (are cute) will thank you time and again for letting them keep all their claws. Its not hard to trim nails. Check and clip as needed once a week.

Glad to know our advice is taken from time to time

kittyl0ve4

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You know, I never thought there was anything wrong with declwing either. My moms cats were always declawed. Actually, most people i knew with cats growing up had them declawed. My moms first cat was VERY mean. i thought it was just the cats personality. But now my mom has another cat, also declawed, also very mean. I am ashamed to say that i was going to get Monster declawed, until i joined TCS and discovered what the procedure was and the problems it could cause. Then i told my boss about it, because she was planning on getting Mittens declawed. I told her i wasnt going to get Monsters claws done, and she didnt get Mittens' done either. So, TCS save the claws of 2 more kitties

siggav

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for doing research and caring more about the wellbeing of your cats than keeping 100% pristine furniture.

Your kittens are gorgeous and they are very fortunate to have such a good and responsible owner. It's really made my day reading your post. Thanks for sharing!

And go! cats with claws!

tab

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Siggav

Thank you so much for doing research and caring more about the wellbeing of your cats than keeping 100% pristine furniture.

Your kittens are gorgeous and they are very fortunate to have such a good and responsible owner. It's really made my day reading your post. Thanks for sharing!

And go! cats with claws!
that post says it all! happy cats and happy owner!

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We dont have the option over here its illegal not that i would ever do such a thing

Good for you for saving the claws

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Good for you and your kitties!

My first cat is declawed (came that way) and she's had many issues with fear and a few other things. We got a second cat 3 years ago and before we even looked, I told my DH that this cat would NOT be declawed. We've had absolutely no problems with her scratching and she's such a delight. They play well together and the 3 year old has never used her claws on us or her "sister". Your kitties will soon learn where it's appropriate to scratch and not to scratch.

althekitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I had never even heard of de-clawing until I came on tcs, of course, I would never even dream of considering it. I am so pleased you saved your kitties from this torture! I have a lot of throws over my leather couch, he loves it and no scratches, well, not too many

zoeysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I probably would have declawed Zoey is she were healthy enough for surgery prior to me finding this site. I knew better by the time I got Belle and Delilah. My shelter said they didn't care when I asked what their stance on declawing was. It's so commonplace here that I didn't think anything of it, with the exception of outdoor cats not having a way to defend themselves.

I had to bite my tongue today at lunch with a friend who has 2 kittens a bit younger than mine. A while ago she asked me what I thought of declawing and I told her that I wouldn't do it and that it's like cutting the top part of your fingers off. She had another friend who told her a similar thing. However, she went ahead and did it anyway a couple of weeks ago. She said "they're fine...they don't care" and I restrained myself from saying anything.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sad thing is they MAY be fine now, but what about years from now. When they start peeing on other things, or biting more in self-defense.

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thats awesome! Your cats are so cute.
I agree about furniture and such....who cares right? It's just an OBJECT...cats are a living breathing thing. They bring more joy to my life than a pristine looking couch.

That being said I do provide them with plenty of alternatives for stratching and it helps alot.

Welcome to TCS!
Caring, thinking people are ALWAYS welcome!

zoeysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Sad thing is they MAY be fine now, but what about years from now. When they start peeing on other things, or biting more in self-defense.
Yup...and no one will attribute it to the declawing...