That'll teach me!

cocoa cream

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yesterday I had to go in to town with DH for a couple hours, and when we got home everything looked normal...no tissues pulled out of the kleenex box or anything like that. What good kitties! Or so I thought, until DH called down the hall, "Did you give the cats the bag of treats?" Well, of course I didn't! The last time I saw it, the treat bag was sitting neatly on the kitchen counter where I left it after rewarding the kittens for coming when I called. But alas, now the treats are no more. He found the bag shredded to bits in the kitties' "bedroom" and not a single treat in sight. I was surprised that they dragged it all the way across the house before devouring the contents, but I wasn't so surprised that they got it off the counter. I've learned my lesson, though...no more food left on the counter when I'm gone!

ladylonewolf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
LOL. I don't put anything past animals!

When my dog was alive, she stole a whole loaf of Italian Bread off the counter while I was gone. And not having the climbing ability of a cat, don't ask me how she did it! When I got home, there was half a loaf of bread and a whoooolle lot of crumbs waiting for me.

happilyretired

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It must be something about dragging their prey to a safe place because one night when I was just falling asleep, I heard noises in my hallway that were different from my boy's usual nocturnal playing. When I investigated, I saw that he had shredded a bag of treats and was busily devouring them. I had left the bag inside a shopping bag on a kitchen chair, but he'd obviously "discovered" them. But rather than eat them on site, he had brought them to another "safe" spot to kill and devour his prey!

othie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I once had a dog who would steal the cat treats, he once got ahold of a bag to

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yup, nothing on counters. Lesson learned.
When you have cats, keep clean counters or else! Another lesson, many people like their cats more than sleep
Crazy kitties, running the whole darn place huh

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
at least they don't starve while you're gone!

My cats have been known to open the cupboard door and knock down the ceramic jar containing their treats. I don't know if I was more mad at them or proud of their smarts!

kittyl0ve4

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Before I got Mittens, I caught her in my boss' kitchen trying to open a bag of treats that were left on the table

With Monster, I used to always leave treat bags and his bag of dry food on the coffee table in my room, he NEVER touched them or tried to rip them open or anything. Now, if i leave a bag (or box) of cat food anywhere where they can get it, They BOTH try to rip it open. I solved that problem by putting the dry food in a large plastic container(which has teeth marks on the lid, so theyve tried to get that open too). With the treats, i either buy the plastic thing of treats or keep them in a cabinet so they cant run off with them and tear them open

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Cocoa Cream

Yesterday I had to go in to town with DH for a couple hours, and when we got home everything looked normal...no tissues pulled out of the kleenex box or anything like that. What good kitties! Or so I thought, until DH called down the hall, "Did you give the cats the bag of treats?" Well, of course I didn't! The last time I saw it, the treat bag was sitting neatly on the kitchen counter where I left it after rewarding the kittens for coming when I called. But alas, now the treats are no more. He found the bag shredded to bits in the kitties' "bedroom" and not a single treat in sight. I was surprised that they dragged it all the way across the house before devouring the contents, but I wasn't so surprised that they got it off the counter. I've learned my lesson, though...no more food left on the counter when I'm gone!
Be especially careful with Halloween coming up!

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I better not let my girls read this! I don't want them getting ideas! Their treats are sitting on the floor by where DH sits so it will be handy. They know the bag contains treats but they haven't tried to get into it on their own.

They will drag stuff out of the garbage though.