TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › IMO: In My Opinion › Jewish Press Endorses John McCain
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Jewish Press Endorses John McCain - Page 3  

post #61 of 78
Apparently the Jewish Americans overseas endorse McCain as well.

http://media.nationalreview.com/post...YxZDRmMTk0NDc=

A startling 76 percent of those polled said that they had voted for John McCain. This contrasts sharply with pre-election polls of American Jews in the U.S., which indicate a strong preference for Obama.

The exit poll findings of American voters in Israel are all the more surprising because less than one in four were registered Republicans, and 46% of registered Democrats living in Israel said they had crossed party lines to vote McCain. By contrast, the Republican crossover to Obama was minimal – just 2%.

The votes are significant as almost half of the 42,000 registered U.S. voters living in Israel come from key swing states including Florida, Ohio and Pennsylvania.

post #62 of 78
Sounds like BHO made a few statements when he visited Ramallah over the summer.

http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/128225

Democratic presidential candidate Senator Barack Obama privately expressed his support for a new Arab state within Israel's current borders, including eastern Jerusalem, during his meeting with Palestinian Authority Chairman and Fatah leader Mahmoud Abbas in Ramallah this summer.

According to a report published Tuesday in the Lebanese newspaper al-Ahbar, Obama told Abbas that he supports a PA state, and Arab "rights to east Jerusalem" as well. The sources said Abbas and PA Prime Minister Salam Fayyad "heard the best things they ever heard from an American president" during the meeting. However, said sources quoted in the report, the candidate asked them to keep his declaration a secret.

post #63 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippymjp View Post
Well, Palin could support Israel because they're our allies. Or, because of their history. They stood and died for Israel at Masada. The Maccabbes fought and won a fierce war for Israel. The graves of their forefathers are there, the graves of their fathers and mothers, sons and daughters.

But, for Palin to "support" Israel simply because she believes it will someday be a Christian state, after forcing the Jews to convert as part of some doomsday prophecy of biblical myth, sounds very much like antisemitism to me.
Whooooo, doggies, Mike! That is what all born-agains believe. It's at the heart of their support for Israel. They don't like Jews or Israel any more than any one else seems to. And Jewish organizations accept that support -- because it's SUPPORT! Politics does indeed make very strange bedfellows.
post #64 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by AddieBee View Post
Whooooo, doggies, Mike! That is what all born-agains believe. It's at the heart of their support for Israel. They don't like Jews or Israel any more than any one else seems to. And Jewish organizations accept that support -- because it's SUPPORT! Politics does indeed make very strange bedfellows.
So it would seem.
post #65 of 78
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AddieBee View Post
Whooooo, doggies, Mike! That is what all born-agains believe. It's at the heart of their support for Israel. They don't like Jews or Israel any more than any one else seems to. And Jewish organizations accept that support -- because it's SUPPORT! Politics does indeed make very strange bedfellows.
Gee willikers, you must be a psychic, you can read the minds of ALL "born agains".

I support Israel because they are the God's chosen people, always have been and always will be. So, I guess this is one Christian's mind you couldn't read.

How, incredibly offensive your post is.
post #66 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckblv View Post
Gee willikers, you must be a psychic, you can read the minds of ALL "born agains".

I support Israel because they are the God's chosen people, always have been and always will be. So, I guess this is one Christian's mind you couldn't read.

How, incredibly offensive your post is.
I'm sorry you found it offensive. The Jewish State of Israel has to exist for Jesus the Messiah to come... at the end of days... when the state of Israel will be destroyed and Jews will either die or will have to convert to Christianity.

That makes the support of Israel very "conditional' IMHO.

That doesn't sound very loving or respectful to me. And I happen to be Jewish. This point of view makes me very uncomfortable. Jews have been targets of eradication and destruction for centuries. I know for a fact that not all Christians feel this way, but many do. And I have been on the receiving end of plenty of anti-semitism.

Nor should anyone lump all of us together - Jews support this or that. That's bull-hooey. Just like it would be for any other religious or ethnic group. However, that is a tenet of far right, fundamentalist Christianity... whether everyone subscribes to it ... or not.
post #67 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by AddieBee View Post
Nor should anyone lump all of us together - Jews support this or that. That's bull-hooey. Just like it would be for any other religious or ethnic group. However, that is a tenet of far right, fundamentalist Christianity... whether everyone subscribes to it ... or not.
Excellent point
This is exactly what I was trying to say earlier when I posted this;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippymjp View Post
Which is actually kind of inaccurate, as 20 to 25% of Israel's citizens aren't Jews. In fact, there are even Arabs in the Israeli government.

And contrary to what a lot of Palin like supporters think, the 70 to 75% of Israel's citizens that are Jewish, do not all think alike. They are just as diverse as Americans, and more tolerant. Sexual Orientation isn't even really an issue in Israel, as in, nobody cares. Many follow Judaism, but do so ranging from Orthodox to non-observant, Christian Jews, maybe even some Muslim Jews (don't really know about that one), and yes, there are even Pagan and Atheist Jews.

Not really at all like the Israel that Palin seems to think exists. It is, in fact, far, far better than that.
I've never been to Israel. But, I got to talk with a great many Israeli soldiers when I was in Lebanon in '82 and '83. Wonderful people, very friendly while being very professional.
post #68 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippymjp View Post
Excellent point
This is exactly what I was trying to say earlier when I posted this;



I've never been to Israel. But, I got to talk with a great many Israeli soldiers when I was in Lebanon in '82 and '83. Wonderful people, very friendly while being very professional.
I think most Israelis would be very amused at this post and the ensuing debate. Now - I AM going to make a sweeping generalization. My people DO like to argue!

I wonder what Anne thinks.

So you were in the military - Marines? Were you there when the barracks were blown up?

You seem like a cool person! Intelligent and thoughtful - and you love kitties!
Good on ya, mate!
post #69 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by AddieBee View Post
So you were in the military - Marines? Were you there when the barracks were blown up?

You seem like a cool person! Intelligent and thoughtful - and you love kitties!
Good on ya, mate!
Yes, I was in the initial deployment with the 32nd MAU. I was 2nd Bn., 8th Marines. We had been relieved and were almost to Rota when the Barracks was destroyed, and I went back again shortly after that with the 22nd MAU.

And thank you. The kits are my buddies
post #70 of 78
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AddieBee View Post
Whooooo, doggies, Mike! That is what ALL born-agains believe. It's at the heart of their support for Israel. They don't like Jews or Israel any more than any one else seems to. And Jewish organizations accept that support -- because it's SUPPORT! Politics does indeed make very strange bedfellows.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/all

12 dictionary results for: ALL
Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) - Cite This Source - Share This
all   /ɔl/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [awl] Show IPA Pronunciation

–adjective 1. the whole of (used in referring to quantity, extent, or duration): all the cake; all the way; all year.
2. the whole number of (used in referring to individuals or particulars, taken collectively): all students.
3. the greatest possible (used in referring to quality or degree): with all due respect; with all speed.
4. every: all kinds; all sorts.
5. any; any whatever: beyond all doubt.
6. nothing but; only: The coat is all wool.
7. dominated by or as if by the conspicuous possession or use of a particular feature: The colt was all legs. They were all ears, listening attentively to everything she said.
8. Chiefly Pennsylvania German. all gone; consumed; finished: The pie is all.
–pronoun 9. the whole quantity or amount: He ate all of the peanuts. All are gone.
10. the whole number; every one: all of us.
11. everything: Is that all you want to say? All is lost.
–noun 12. one's whole interest, energy, or property: to give one's all; to lose one's all.
13. (often initial capital letter) the entire universe.
–adverb 14. wholly; entirely; completely: all alone.
15. only; exclusively: He spent his income all on pleasure.
16. each; apiece: The score was one all.
17. Archaic. even; just.
—Idioms18. above all, before everything else; chiefly: Above all, the little girl wanted a piano.
19. after all, in spite of the circumstances; notwithstanding: He came in time after all.
20. all at once. once (def. 14).
21. all but, almost; very nearly: These batteries are all but dead.
22. all in, Northern and Western U.S. very tired; exhausted: We were all in at the end of the day.
23. all in all, a. everything considered; in general: All in all, her health is greatly improved.
b. altogether: There were twelve absentees all in all.
c. everything; everything regarded as important: Painting became his all in all.

24. all in hand, Printing, Journalism. (of the copy for typesetting a particular article, book, issue, etc.) in the possession of the compositor.
25. all in the wind, Nautical. too close to the wind.
26. all out, with all available means or effort: We went all out to win the war.

Whew, I thought for a minute the definition of ALL had been changed.
Guess not.
post #71 of 78
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AddieBee View Post



Nor should anyone lump all of us together - Jews support this or that. That's bull-hooey. Just like it would be for any other religious or ethnic group. However, that is a tenet of far right, fundamentalist Christianity... whether everyone subscribes to it ... or not.

Maybe you should take your own advice.
post #72 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckblv View Post
Maybe you should take your own advice.
Ummmm... that's what I just said.... it is a TENET of evangelical Christianity.. and not everyone believes it... most born-agains, fundamentalist Christian, fundamentalist Baptists I have met.. .and I used to live down south, was a news reporter and talked to lots and lots and lots of people, embraced this view. It was preached from their pulpits on Sunday. It's pretty well known, including in the Jewish community.

Many tried to proselytize me - you know,"save" me. So save your smug, tongue-sticking-out routine for someone who doesn't know any better.
post #73 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckblv View Post
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/all

12 dictionary results for: ALL
Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) - Cite This Source - Share This
all   /ɔl/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [awl] Show IPA Pronunciation

–adjective 1. the whole of (used in referring to quantity, extent, or duration): all the cake; all the way; all year.
2. the whole number of (used in referring to individuals or particulars, taken collectively): all students.
3. the greatest possible (used in referring to quality or degree): with all due respect; with all speed.
4. every: all kinds; all sorts.
5. any; any whatever: beyond all doubt.
6. nothing but; only: The coat is all wool.
7. dominated by or as if by the conspicuous possession or use of a particular feature: The colt was all legs. They were all ears, listening attentively to everything she said.
8. Chiefly Pennsylvania German. all gone; consumed; finished: The pie is all.
–pronoun 9. the whole quantity or amount: He ate all of the peanuts. All are gone.
10. the whole number; every one: all of us.
11. everything: Is that all you want to say? All is lost.
–noun 12. one's whole interest, energy, or property: to give one's all; to lose one's all.
13. (often initial capital letter) the entire universe.
–adverb 14. wholly; entirely; completely: all alone.
15. only; exclusively: He spent his income all on pleasure.
16. each; apiece: The score was one all.
17. Archaic. even; just.
—Idioms18. above all, before everything else; chiefly: Above all, the little girl wanted a piano.
19. after all, in spite of the circumstances; notwithstanding: He came in time after all.
20. all at once. once (def. 14).
21. all but, almost; very nearly: These batteries are all but dead.
22. all in, Northern and Western U.S. very tired; exhausted: We were all in at the end of the day.
23. all in all, a. everything considered; in general: All in all, her health is greatly improved.
b. altogether: There were twelve absentees all in all.
c. everything; everything regarded as important: Painting became his all in all.

24. all in hand, Printing, Journalism. (of the copy for typesetting a particular article, book, issue, etc.) in the possession of the compositor.
25. all in the wind, Nautical. too close to the wind.
26. all out, with all available means or effort: We went all out to win the war.

Whew, I thought for a minute the definition of ALL had been changed.
Guess not.

So, beating me over the head with a dictionary makes you feel better? OK fine. Hope you got some satisfaction and release. Better than starting a pogrom, I guess.

I had already taken it back, dear, when I said it's a TENET of that faith, and not all embrace it, but many do. In my experience, this is what people often do - pick out one little thing - and beat it to death - when they cannot refute the core of the argument. Resort to fingerpointing, browbeating, childish antics.

Hope you had fun!

Have a blessed day, my ultra-conservative Christian friend.
post #74 of 78

Friends, the subject at hand is contentious enough in itself. Please remember that we've no need to resort to offering affront to other posters. Tolerance is respecting another person's right to believe as they do, even if you disagree. So, let's debate the disagreements, and not the posters holding those beliefs.
post #75 of 78
http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satelli...ticle/ShowFull

If you think the radicals don't pay attention to what is said here and plan to hold BHO's feet to the fire, read about halfway down this article.
post #76 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by AddieBee View Post
I'm sorry you found it offensive. The Jewish State of Israel has to exist for Jesus the Messiah to come... at the end of days... when the state of Israel will be destroyed and Jews will either die or will have to convert to Christianity.

That makes the support of Israel very "conditional' IMHO.
I was with the impression that's how it is understood myself. I can see why Jews would consider it deeply offensive.
post #77 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippymjp View Post

Friends, the subject at hand is contentious enough in itself. Please remember that we've no need to resort to offering affront to other posters. Tolerance is respecting another person's right to believe as they do, even if you disagree. So, let's debate the disagreements, and not the posters holding those beliefs.
Hey, Sheriff. Sorry if I crossed a line, but I don't like being baited, especially after I agreed to amend my comment. That's just bullying bad behavior and yes, it gets my dander up. Won't happen again.
post #78 of 78
No one crossed a line. It's just a friendly reminder that it's a subject that has lines easy to cross
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: IMO: In My Opinion
This thread is locked  
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › IMO: In My Opinion › Jewish Press Endorses John McCain