Myths and Facts

othie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't know about you guys, but I have found that some of the "facts" I was told about cats turned out to be false.

The first one that comes to mind if purring. I was told that a cat purrs when they are happy and content, but after owning a few cats, I've found that they also purr when they are scared or worried.

Has anyone else found something like this?

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
If we're talking about Lucy,

Aluminum foil deters cats - no, Lucy is attracted to it.

Cats don't like sticky things like tape - no, Lucy will pull the Sticky Paws off the couch and play with them

Cats don't like citrus smelling - no, Lucy will still eat the Christmas tree even with the citrus spray on it.

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats love people food, like fish and beef. Both RIP Brownie and Butzie never want to eat people food. Well, both would eat canned tuna fish. Does that mean our tuna fish is like cat food or vice versa?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

othie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by butzie

Cats love people food, like fish and beef. Both RIP Brownie and Butzie never want to eat people food. Well, both would eat canned tuna fish. Does that mean our tuna fish is like cat food or vice versa?
oh right, along these lines I would put "cats are meat eaters"

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by katachtig

If we're talking about Lucy,

Aluminum foil deters cats - no, Lucy is attracted to it.

Cats don't like sticky things like tape - no, Lucy will pull the Sticky Paws off the couch and play with them

Cats don't like citrus smelling - no, Lucy will still eat the Christmas tree even with the citrus spray on it.
all of that!

"Cats are loners" - most cats actually seem to like another buddy or two around.

kittyl0ve4

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by othie

The first one that comes to mind if purring. I was told that a cat purrs when they are happy and content, but after owning a few cats, I've found that they also purr when they are scared or worried.
I always thought that when a cat purrs it means that they are comfy and happy. If that's not the case, what does purring really mean then? Mittens is ALWAYS purring. Always. If you catch her at a moment when she isn't, the moment u touch her, the motor starts.

Monster only purrs when he is in the mood for lovins and jumps on someones lap to be pet. Or when he is kneading. But lately, he is a nighttime kneader. I think he does the kneading at night bc everyone is asleep & nobody is awake to give him lovins, so he kneads for comfort that he can't get from anyone since we are all sleeping.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

othie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KiTTYL0VE4

I always thought that when a cat purrs it means that they are comfy and happy. If that's not the case, what does purring really mean then? Mittens is ALWAYS purring. Always. If you catch her at a moment when she isn't, the moment u touch her, the motor starts.

Monster only purrs when he is in the mood for lovins and jumps on someones lap to be pet. Or when he is kneading. But lately, he is a nighttime kneader. I think he does the kneading at night bc everyone is asleep & nobody is awake to give him lovins, so he kneads for comfort that he can't get from anyone since we are all sleeping.
I used to think the same thing until I helped out at a local vet's (many many years ago, and now I feel old
). Alot of the time the cats would purr in the cages. When I asked about this, I was told that they do this to try and comfort themselves, and it is something they often do when they are scared or sick. If I remember right it stems from the mother cat doing this with her young.
I believe most of the time it is a sign of being happy and content, but not always. When I moved down here, Mai Sai was purring in the car, even though he was scared stiff.....

mimosa

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

oh right, along these lines I would put "cats are meat eaters"
Yep, cats are carnivores and prey (meat, organs and bones) is what is best for them. That does not mean they can't aquire different tastes, but biologically that statement is sound and not a myth.

Misconceptions i often read;

All red cats are males.
Red females are infertile.
Tortie males all have Klinefelters syndrome.
Tortie males are always infertile.
All white cats are deaf.
All white cats with blue eyes are deaf.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I don't know about you guys, but I have found that some of the "facts" I was told about cats turned out to be false.

Has anyone else found something like this?
Another myth is about cats wagging their tails.
This is supposed to be opposite of dogs, indicating they are irritated.
When my cats are on my lap or laying along side of me in bed and I pet them, they wag their tails!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Persi & Alley

Another myth is about cats wagging their tails.
This is supposed to be opposite of dogs, indicating they are irritated.
When my cats are on my lap or laying along side of me in bed and I pet them, they wag their tails!
Pixel always wags hers when i speak to her - she wags it gently, as if to say 'i heard you'. Firefox wags her little tip almost all the time [her tail is permanently bent so that the tip is always up].

ladylonewolf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Another one would be that all cats hate water.

Snickers had no fear of water. He'd sit on the edge of the tub while my son was taking a bath and allow himself to be squirted with toys or have cups of water poured on him. It was the complete opposite of what I thought would happen.

My mom's two cats are even worse - they cry for her to fill up the bathtub so they can splash around in it.

wyatturpsmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Cats are loners comes to mind. When I come home from work, they are all waiting anxiously and immediately start talking to me (that could, of course, be because it is time to eat)

mew03

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Another couple of things cats are supposed to be are graceful, and very quiet. Hmm, why are mine so clumbsy? I'd have to say keith is the worst in that respect
. He'll jump on the table and then crash right into the lamp and look so offended... he'll just have to work on that. Another thing people who dont have cats tend to say is that cats are silent and aloof. What?? Better tell my three to pipe down lol.

faith's_mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LadyLoneWolf

Another one would be that all cats hate water.

Snickers had no fear of water. He'd sit on the edge of the tub while my son was taking a bath and allow himself to be squirted with toys or have cups of water poured on him. It was the complete opposite of what I thought would happen.

My mom's two cats are even worse - they cry for her to fill up the bathtub so they can splash around in it.
My Latifah LOVES water! She will play in the toilet water even
so I make sure to keep the lid closed!

I have one cat that rarely purrs...the only one she purrs for is me....lol...I feel like I'm in an 'exclusive club'...Lol! But she's definitely a happy cat otherwise...

My cats DO hate spread out foil...which was a good thing in teaching them to stay away from certain areas...Lol...although, in the same breath, they will play with foil balls

beturtlement

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
There's a LOT of things, as a first time cat owner, I've realized to be myths... at least with Niko.

All cats are agile: *giggle* Niko can be a total clutz.
Cats are aloof/loners: Maybe some, but Niko is attached to my hip 24/7, is extremely talkative, and is a total cuddle fiend.
Cats can't be trained: I've been able to train him a few commands, and am working on more.

There are probably a ton more, but I can't think of them at the moment.

faith's_mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh yeah...my Sable...definitely NOT graceful...she falls off the cat tree all the time; either by missing her jump onto it, or playing too 'hard' on it, and falling off the sides!
Haha