"Cats aren't clean, they're just covered in Cat spit."

kittyl0ve4

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think they are very clean. People say that spit thing, but id rather be covered in spit than covered in dirt. Plus, cats dont have that much spit in their mouths right?

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't care. I kiss Riley on the mouth! I do try to make sure he hasn't just been licking his butt first though
Kind of ... what you don't know won't hurt you!

j fred muggs

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
when my cats, raise one leg up in the air and lick there private parts, i say that he is making a phone call, his leg is hie antenia, then i look at the other cat, and he will be doing the same thing, there talking to each other, if one does it for a short period,
no one was home, he left a message, or hes checking his hessages
then i make up a conversation--say it out loud like hello bug, are you in the kitchen?
ck the food bowl, anything new?. ok bye.
then the cat will stop and run in the kitchen
if the other cat does it. hello, yea this is lil bit, oh!! good, new food in the bowl!
be right there....
its a fun game, better than the tube!!

enuja

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Cats tongues aren't just cat spit delivery devices. Have you been licked by a cat recently? It feels like sandpaper. Cat tongues are wetted scrub cloths that pick up huge amounts of detritus and hair. If you wet a cloth with water, and clean stuff with it, you don't end up with wet stuff, you end up with clean stuff.

Additionally, cat saliva isn't a "dirty" substance", so spreading a bit of it around doesn't make things dirty.

kittyl0ve4

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AlleyGirl

I don't care. I kiss Riley on the mouth! I do try to make sure he hasn't just been licking his butt first though
I kiss mine on the mouth too!! & if Monster wants to lick my lips, i let him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

traveler5

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KiTTYL0VE4

I think they are very clean. People say that spit thing, but id rather be covered in spit than covered in dirt. Plus, cats dont have that much spit in their mouths right?
Very good point.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

traveler5

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

I don't think I could go that far.

cocoa cream

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Maggie has started this new thing where she rubs her mouth on my nose, chin and sometimes even lips...ya know, to make sure I have her scent? It's pretty funny, 'cause it looks like she is trying to kiss me.

But on the cleanliness thing, I do think that cat's are very clean animals. Their tongues are very rough...and they're not very wet and slobbery like a dog's tongue. I do give my babies a bath every month or so, though, to help clean down deep to the skin. I never think of my cats as covered in spit...if I did, I wouldn't be able to touch them!

mommysmeows

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Look at my cats tongue..

See how effective and well their tongues could and do clean? It's pretty cool.

Sorry if the pictures are too big - I have no time to resize.

lele

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MommysMeows

Look at my cats tongue..

See how effective and well their tongues could and do clean? It's pretty cool.

Sorry if the pictures are too big - I have no time to resize.
Wow, that cat looks like he has needles on his tongue. Hilarious!!!
I make the kiss noise and all of my kitties pucker up and we rub noses. It sooooo cute!

happilyretired

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Cat "spit" is actually clean! When my first cat was spayed many years ago, I brought her home with instructions from the vet to clean her incision site with alcohol at least once a day. But right after I did it, I'd see her licking the incision. So I phoned the vet in a panic, and she explained that it was perfectly fine for her to lick her incision, since her saliva is antiseptic!

So when cats clean themselves by licking, they are actually cleaning very effectively.

straymagnet

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I love that picture of the cat's tounge. It looks like a hair brush - I guess that's really what it is. One of my cats likes to sleep on my son's pillow with him and she grooms him while he is sleeping. I know its kind of weird, but its really cute and funny - they have a special bond
. I have to say that she does a better job combing his hair than he does

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Speck is very clean. Sometimes he gives himself a bath right after I've touched him. He must think I'm the one that's not clean, lol!

emmylou

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Also, I saw a nature program that explained that cat species are odorless and clean because they're solitary hunters, so they have to sneak up on their prey. That's why cats spend so much cleaning themselves... it's a biological imperative, survival of the cleanest.

That same program explained that dogs are pack animals, therefore are intentionally smelly -- because one dog will get upwind of the prey, driving it toward the rest of the pack.

meowqueensdaddy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by straymagnet

One of my cats likes to sleep on my son's pillow with him and she grooms him while he is sleeping.
Pumpkin does that to me whenever my head is close enough to her. Fortunately she gave up on doing it at night, but she'll still do it if I'm napping or lying on the bed. I've realized that it's an affection thing... she doesn't do laps, but she does do grooming.

Funny, I've had less dandruff since she's been in my home...

althekitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AlleyGirl

I kiss Al too! Cats are very clean, mine spends half his day sleeping and the other half washing and a little bit of playing in between. In fact they are probably cleaner than humans bearing in mind that we walk around covered in dead skin cells.

davecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
cat tongues are very clean. And their saliva acts in the same way we have deodorant.
Which is why cats smell pretty all the time even if they havent had a bath.