Favorite brands, what are some of yours?

monaxlisa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know if anyone will find this topic interesting, but I thought it would be sort of fun to see what brands people liked, of whatever comes to mind. Like shoes, frozen pizza, gas station, whatever. Just because!

My favorites
Shoes: Merrell
Frozen Pizza: Newmans Own
Taco Sauce: Ortega
Salsa: On The Border
Shampoo: Brilliant Brunette
Hand Soap: Dial
Eyeliner: Cover Girl
Lip Balm: Alba un-petroleum
Cat Food: Solid Gold
Dog Food: Eagle Pack
Paint: Valspar

that ought to get us off to a good start (if anyone else is board enough to chip in
)

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Whatever is on sale. Seriously, I don't have the money to be caught up in brands.

The only time I'll be picky is if I know I'm possibly allergic/sensitive to something.
As for shampoo - do you know it's actually recommend that people switch up sometimes?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

monaxlisa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do know it's recommended to switch shampoo sometimes...not that I do

I dont have the money to buy just certain brands either, I just thought it'd be fun to hear what people liked best, even if they cant afford it

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am way too much a price shopper. I'm bad about "settling," and it has cost me money many times! But, as a truck driver, I have often been to factories and picked up items all coming off the same production line, but with a wide variety of prices. This is especially true of vegetables, but it applies to many other things, too.

Guitars: Ibanez and Gretsch

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Some of mine are:

Mayonnaise - homemade or Hellmann's Real Mayonnaise
Tea - Tetley
Instant Coffee - Tasters Choice only
Perc Coffee - Van Houtte
Flour - Robin Hood

There are many more which I cannot think of at this exact moment.

althekitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Tea - Punjana
Chocolate - Cadburys or Galaxy or special Belgian choc yum yum
Wet Wipes for face - Johnsons
Shampoo and conditioner - Frizz-ease
Baked beans - Heinz
Soap - Dove
Butter - Lurpak
Eyeliner - Clinique

Can't think of anymore right now!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I buy a lot of store brand stuff because I found out that very many of them are actually a brand name that have been repackaged as "store brand."

I remember a couple years ago that I tried a store brand of something that I thought was absolutely horrid and vowed that I would only buy a brand name after that. But I can't remember what it was.

One thing I won't compromise on though is "Mr. Clean". I love the smell. I did try a store brand version, but it didn't smell the same.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Destitute though I am, I'm very loyal to brands I trust -- I'd rather do without than buy something I'm not sure of, especially with regard to food. But most other products... if it's cheap, I like it!

Shoes: anything under $15

Frozen Pizza: don't use it -- I get Pillsbury refrigerated pizza dough and make my own, with my mom's homemade sketti sauce on top!

Salsa: Paul Newman's Pineapple Salsa

Hand Soap: Kroger brand Basil & Lemongrass -- it smells soooo goooood!

Lip Balm: Vaseline

Cat Food: Merrill (canned) and Wellness (dry)

Guitars - Gibson or Martin

Tea - Stash (Earl Grey)

Chocolate - Lindt or Dove or Bliss or (my very favorite) Ritter Sport bars with whole hazelnuts!

Baked beans - Heinz Vegetarian, and I add some brown sugar and ketchup and onions, and always make cornbread to go along...

Face Soap - Burt's Bees Soapbark & Chamomile

Butter - Land O' Lakes

Base Makeup - Origins

Ketchup - Heinz

Pasta - Barilla

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I"m also more of a "let's see what's on sale today" kind of shopper, altho
there are some products that I buy only certains brands.

Eyeliner--L'Oreal
toilet paper--Charmin w/ aloe
ice cream--Breyer's, but only if it's on sale
frozen fries---OreIda
tennies--Nike, again only on sale
catsup--Heinz
oil for my car--Penzoil
pork & beans--VanCamp
cola--Pepsi
cologne/perfume--Sand & Sable

DH will only use---
soap--Zest
shampoo--Pert

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Anything made by what used to be Best Foods, like Hellman's, Skippy, etc. because I won a scholarship from them

Also:
Heinz
Grey Poupon
Dove
Crest

Other than that, I buy mostly fresh foods.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm a big store brand shopper as well, but there a couple things where generics just won't do:

Dawn dish soap
A-1 steak sauce
La Coy soy sauce

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For the most part I am a bargin shopper and am not really particular about what brands things are however there are several items that I find that you do pay for quality.
Dove soaps are my favorite.
Sunlight Laundry Soap.
Kraft Peanut Butter.
Smucker's Jams and Jellies.
Herbal Essence Shampoo
Carnation Hot Chocolate

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Biolage hair care products
Clinique face wash
Maranatha peanut butter
Horizon milk
Kathie's Kitchen SuperSeedz pumpkin seeds
Listerine mint
Spectrum oils and vinegars

junior_j

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oooooh love this thread!

Cheese - Catherdral city mild but mellow!

Mayo - Asdas own (garlic mayo to)
Bread - Hoovis white medium slice

Asdas own brand of marmite - yeast extract!
Flora marge
Shoes - Converses , vans , uggs , nikey or adidias
Pajamas - primark! got a lovely pair of jamma bottoms white with stars on £1.00
Dog treats - weebox
Shampoo and conditioner - alberto balsam
Lemonade - shops own brand
Coke - coke a cola all the way

Jess x

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Shoes: ALDO!!!!! OMG I LOVE ALDO SHOES!!!!!!
They're amazing!!!
For work shoes- must be SAS shoes (they're ugly, but they're the only orthapedic shoes that don't kill my feet!)

Frozen Pizza: Totino's Crispy Crust & Frescheta Pizzas! I also like California Kitchen's white pizza w/ spinach!

Taco Sauce: store brand (tastes just like ortega!)

Salsa: Pace

Shampoo: Lush's Squeaky Green solid shampoo

Hand Soap: Bath & Body Works (the foaming ones, I like their Fresh Pineapple)

Eyeliner: Mary Kay & Maybelline!!!

Lip Balm: Lush's Lip Squeak (tastes like apple pie!!!
) & C.O Bigelow Mentha lip shine!

Cat Food: Nutro Gourmet Classics Roasted Chicken Kitten & Adult and also Meow Mix Market Selects. Wellness is good too. I sometimes do homemade for mine as well

Dog Food: Pedigree Large Breed with glucosamine. Mine will NOT eat the brands i'd prefer them to like Eagle, Nutro, Wellness, or any of the other premium ones
So we compromise with Pedigree, it's decident and it has glucosamine. I'm also a huge fan of Hills ID (prescription wet food)

Paint: Behr (Currently painting at the moment almost every room in our house
) I'm using Interior Kitchen & Bath Sateen Luster Enamel paint (it's great! it's low voc, and it's antimicrobial which is perfect for us since we live in such a humid area and also good for the bathroom.) Current color I'm using is called "Grasshopperwing"

Cheese: Laughing Cow Light Garlic & Herb. I'm also a huge fan of gourmet cheeses!!! I try out a new one every time I buy groceries!!!

Dog Treats: Wildside Salmon Treats & Pupcorn

Cat Treats: Friskies Party Mix & Temptation Treats. Also the ones Pat sent us the last time we ordered from Plain Brown Tabby- I think they were freeze dried turkey- my cats loved them!

Conditioner- Panteen Beautiful Lengths & Organix Coconut Milk (I really did try to use Lush conditioners, but they just aren't think enough for my hair
So alas, that's the only thing I wash with that isn't Lush)

Soap- All Lush stuff
(yes i'm addiced!!!! www.lush.com) - Rockstar, Champagne Snow Showers, Sultina of Soap, The Godmother (my fav!!!), SnowFairy, Mud Flats, Lily Savon, Big Calm Jelly, Olive Branch ....do you guys see my obsession
I could go on and on too! My husband says it's a disease

Face Wash - St. Ives Microdermabrasion Scrub (best stuff ever! my skin looks great now that I started using this!),& Aveeno Clear Complexion Foaming Cleanser, Garnier Frutise Facial Wipes

Pajamas- umm I usually buy my pajama pants at Costco in a two pack
They're super comfy!! I also love Target pj's too!!!

Chocolate: Tolberlone
I also like Dove, Lindt, and Skor bars!

Toilet Paper: Cottonell Ultra! & Cottonell Fresh Wipes

Yogurt: YoBaby (banana & vanilla) & Yoplait Light (just about all their flavors!)

Ice Cream: Bryers Naturals Lactose Free (only kind I can have because it's lactose free.It's also yummy!)

Laundry Detergent: All Free & Clear

Tea: For sweet tea- Luzianne! (anything else is just not Southern!
) I usually buy decaf since it's easier on my heart rate)/ for gourmet teas- Twingings & Target's Organic loose leaf teas

Butter: Country Crock Light for every day stuff....for baking I like the store brand's version of Land o' lakes.

Drums: Pearl!!!! Also a DW fan!!!

Guitar: Martins when it comes to acoustics!

Pasta: Smart Taste Thin Spaghetti (it's a lot better for you than regular pasta, but doesn't taste gross like a lot of whole grain ones do!)

Cat Litter: Tidy Cats Antibicrobial (my new fav!) Target's store brand of clumping litter is also good!

Hot Chocolate: Must be Swiss Miss!!!! I love their marshmellow lovers

Milk - Lactaid Milk Fat Free (Kroger has a store brand of it I usually buy! It's great and doesn't make me sick
)

Chips: Doritos- Nacho Cheese!!

Candels: WoodWick (applewood) and Yankee Candle Co. (too many favs to name!)

Clothes: I'm not a huge brand name person, I don't mind things from Target, Khols, or Macys.

Coffee Creamers: Coffee Mate Coconut Cream & International Coffee Pumpkin Pie Spice

Bath Products- Lush!!!!

Storage Bags - Glad!!!! The ones with the zipper!

The only thing DH is super picky about is aluminum foil! Weird right!?
It has to be Reynolds or Diamond! He won't let me get the store brand

Other than these, I buy the store brands of just about everything- they're pretty much the same and a lot cheaper!

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I usually buy the cheapest brands, unless it is something I cannot get in a cheapie, or is specifically needed. Here are my faves:

Cat food: Purina dry food in the blue bag (30lb bag). Know it is not Purina One; cannot remember, as DH buys it, and we just trashed the bag! My cats will only eat this stuff; they loather expensive food, but Jasmine*s fur suffers for cheaper brands. Wet food: 9 Lives tuna and egg. Again, the expensive stuff, they throw up.

Women*s clothing: QVC*s Denim & Co.; Liz Claiborne; Talbot*s (bought at bargain prices, of course!)

Hair care: Suave and Vo5 shampoo.

Deodorant: Anything on sale, as I don*t have any problems with any brand. The Acme often has Arm & Hammer stick on sale for $1!! (usually $3.99.) DH likes it as well, so I stock up for a year*s worth. Suave is good, too.

Toothpaste: Aim (ditto for the Acme sale above.)

Soap: I have a weakness for perfumed soap, esp. lavender-scented. Yardley*s is the best.

Facial toner: I adore Burt*s Bees Lavender Complexion Mist, which they no longer make. My emails could not persuade them to keep it...drat!

Cleaning: Swiffer wipes. With 9 cats, I need convenience! I am constantly cleaning the floors. I know a mop & bucket would be cheaper (which I do sometimes use to REALLY get the kitchen clean), but I need the convenience of the Swiffers, or I will go mad. Really. Dust-Buster: the best $35 I ever spent. If you have pets, you need one. I like the Clorox Disinfecting Wipes. I also like Dirt Devil vacuum cleaners; always had good luck with them.

Cold remedies: I have trouble with OTC meds, but today, I took Cold-Eez for the 1st time, & they seem to be working. I love to bathe in Batherapy (I only see it at WalMart so far); it has herbs in the bubble bath that soothe aches & pains from colds/flu, and helps to open your nasal passages. Love this stuff, even though it is almost $5 a bottle.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

Shoes: ALDO!!!!! OMG I LOVE ALDO SHOES!!!!!!
They're amazing!!!
For work shoes- must be SAS shoes (they're ugly, but they're the only orthapedic shoes that don't kill my feet!)

Frozen Pizza: Totino's Crispy Crust & Frescheta Pizzas! I also like California Kitchen's white pizza w/ spinach!

Taco Sauce: store brand (tastes just like ortega!)

Salsa: Pace

Shampoo: Lush's Squeaky Green solid shampoo

Hand Soap: Bath & Body Works (the foaming ones, I like their Fresh Pineapple)

Eyeliner: Mary Kay & Maybelline!!!

Lip Balm: Lush's Lip Squeak (tastes like apple pie!!!
) & C.O Bigelow Mentha lip shine!

Cat Food: Nutro Gourmet Classics Roasted Chicken Kitten & Adult and also Meow Mix Market Selects. Wellness is good too. I sometimes do homemade for mine as well

Dog Food: Pedigree Large Breed with glucosamine. Mine will NOT eat the brands i'd prefer them to like Eagle, Nutro, Wellness, or any of the other premium ones
So we compromise with Pedigree, it's decident and it has glucosamine. I'm also a huge fan of Hills ID (prescription wet food)

Paint: Behr (Currently painting at the moment almost every room in our house
) I'm using Interior Kitchen & Bath Sateen Luster Enamel paint (it's great! it's low voc, and it's antimicrobial which is perfect for us since we live in such a humid area and also good for the bathroom.) Current color I'm using is called "Grasshopperwing"

Cheese: Laughing Cow Light Garlic & Herb. I'm also a huge fan of gourmet cheeses!!! I try out a new one every time I buy groceries!!!

Dog Treats: Wildside Salmon Treats & Pupcorn

Cat Treats: Friskies Party Mix & Temptation Treats. Also the ones Pat sent us the last time we ordered from Plain Brown Tabby- I think they were freeze dried turkey- my cats loved them!

Conditioner- Panteen Beautiful Lengths & Organix Coconut Milk (I really did try to use Lush conditioners, but they just aren't think enough for my hair
So alas, that's the only thing I wash with that isn't Lush)

Soap- All Lush stuff
(yes i'm addiced!!!! www.lush.com) - Rockstar, Champagne Snow Showers, Sultina of Soap, The Godmother (my fav!!!), SnowFairy, Mud Flats, Lily Savon, Big Calm Jelly, Olive Branch ....do you guys see my obsession
I could go on and on too! My husband says it's a disease

Face Wash - St. Ives Microdermabrasion Scrub (best stuff ever! my skin looks great now that I started using this!),& Aveeno Clear Complexion Foaming Cleanser, Garnier Frutise Facial Wipes

Pajamas- umm I usually buy my pajama pants at Costco in a two pack
They're super comfy!! I also love Target pj's too!!!

Chocolate: Tolberlone
I also like Dove, Lindt, and Skor bars!

Toilet Paper: Cottonell Ultra! & Cottonell Fresh Wipes

Yogurt: YoBaby (banana & vanilla) & Yoplait Light (just about all their flavors!)

Ice Cream: Bryers Naturals Lactose Free (only kind I can have because it's lactose free.It's also yummy!)

Laundry Detergent: All Free & Clear

Tea: For sweet tea- Luzianne! (anything else is just not Southern!
) I usually buy decaf since it's easier on my heart rate)/ for gourmet teas- Twingings & Target's Organic loose leaf teas

Butter: Country Crock Light for every day stuff....for baking I like the store brand's version of Land o' lakes.

Drums: Pearl!!!! Also a DW fan!!!

Guitar: Martins when it comes to acoustics!

Pasta: Smart Taste Thin Spaghetti (it's a lot better for you than regular pasta, but doesn't taste gross like a lot of whole grain ones do!)

Cat Litter: Tidy Cats Antibicrobial (my new fav!) Target's store brand of clumping litter is also good!

Hot Chocolate: Must be Swiss Miss!!!! I love their marshmellow lovers

Milk - Lactaid Milk Fat Free (Kroger has a store brand of it I usually buy! It's great and doesn't make me sick
)

Chips: Doritos- Nacho Cheese!!

Candels: WoodWick (applewood) and Yankee Candle Co. (too many favs to name!)

Clothes: I'm not a huge brand name person, I don't mind things from Target, Khols, or Macys.

Coffee Creamers: Coffee Mate Coconut Cream & International Coffee Pumpkin Pie Spice

Bath Products- Lush!!!!

Storage Bags - Glad!!!! The ones with the zipper!

The only thing DH is super picky about is aluminum foil! Weird right!?
It has to be Reynolds or Diamond! He won't let me get the store brand

Other than these, I buy the store brands of just about everything- they're pretty much the same and a lot cheaper!
Oh, Behr is the BEST paint out there! I love it. I painted my entire house with it; more expensive, but well worth it. Goes on so smoothly, very little smell (I am sensitive to paint smell), and lasts. Don*t try to save $$ with cheap paint--not worth it.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a hard time finding shoes to fit, so I usually stick with Munro (dress shoes) or SAS (work shoes), because they come in 5EE!

Many of my basic groceries and paper products are Meijer (store brand.) Meijer brand cat litter is awesome too! I do prefer many name brands, such as Heinz ketchup, Coffeemate Hazelnut sugarfree creamer, and Lipton raspberry tea. I use a lot of Walmart brand generic medications, like their generic benedryl, prilosec, naprosyn, and cold medicines, because their price is unbeatable.

I like a lot of L.L. Bean clothing. It's a little more expensive, but seems to launder better, wrinkle less, and last longer.

I really like my Coach purses, but I've never paid retail price for any of them. I've bought all of them on e-Bay, and gotten a great deal on them. I have a couple of Stone Mountain bags that I've paid full price for, but they've been well loved and used until they practically fall apart!

KittenKrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
From a former shoe salesperson/repairperson, you can't beat SAS brand workshoes for quality!

Personally I don't use a lot of brand names anymore either.......but the few I'm still fussy about are

cereal must be Kellogs Raisin Bran if any, the other flakes are different
soda must be Coke...period
Crest Toothpaste
have fallen in love with the HydraTLC shampoo from SunSilk, and can get it at Big Lots!
Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul dry food.....but their wet is Walmart brand, as its the one they eat the best!