new kitty!

patricia.leyena

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I just brought home my first new kitty a few days ago. We think she is settling in quite well. There is one thing that she does that I am very curious about and I was unable to find an answer just by searching on the Internet. But I found this site, so maybe someone here knows... sometimes when she is laying in my lap, she seems to knead my leg with her paws, spreading her claws out and then closing them up again, alternating paws, back and forth. Man, that was tough to describe, but I am hoping someone will know what I mean

Thank you!

othie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by patricia.leyena

Hi, I just brought home my first new kitty a few days ago. We think she is settling in quite well. There is one thing that she does that I am very curious about and I was unable to find an answer just by searching on the Internet. But I found this site, so maybe someone here knows... sometimes when she is laying in my lap, she seems to knead my leg with her paws, spreading her claws out and then closing them up again, alternating paws, back and forth. Man, that was tough to describe, but I am hoping someone will know what I mean

Thank you!
oh yes, I know what you mean. Mind if I ask how old she is? I believe on the whole this is a sign of them been happy and content. If she is younger, its something they do with their mothers...

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its called kneading - kittens do it to mom when they nurse. Its a sign of happy/contentment
Just be sure to start trimming those nails now - I can't stand those sharp little needles

hwc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i believe that the kneading was/is originally a trigger to get mommy's milk to start flowing.

We had a kitty that would kneed your hair and then nibble on your ear lobe. It was sweet, but actually quite annoying!

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
People call it "kneading," "making biscuits," or, around our house, "going pawsy pawsy." It's natural, and it means she is happy, contented, ready to sleep, etc. In other words, you have a true fan who appreciates what you're doing for her!