Anyone know how to stop terrible back pain without pills

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It depends on what is causing it.
If it's arthritis you're best bet is to go to the doctor, find out how bad it is and go through physical therapy. The PT will teach you how to take care of your back and strengthen the muscles enough so that they can help prevent a lot of the problems. Weak muscles alone can cause a lot of back pain (your back won't stay aligned properly).

Your best bet for now is to take an NSAID like ibuprofen and ice your back. If the pain is too intense you may need a prescription strength NSAID or even a course of steroids to relieve the inflammation - inflammation causes damage after all.

Your third option, if you choose not to treat it, is just to tough it out and hope the pain goes away after a bit.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have a prior injury? Where - in the upper, lower, etc.?

I strained my lower back and found that taking Valerian and Aspirin every 4 hours got me through the first couple of days. But that can be hard on your stomach.

Passion flower is also a muscle relaxer.

meowqueensdaddy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was having trouble with some bad lower back pain a few months ago. I'm a bit young to be having a bad back, but I found some simple things that really helped. Fortunately in my case I was dealing with sore/strained muscles and nothing really serious.

I got a better chair to use at my desk. My work is mostly in the evenings (musician), so I wind up spending a lot of time during the day sitting at the computer. The big office supply stores sometimes have crazy sales on high backed executive chairs... got mine in simulated leather at office max for around $40.

I paid closer attention to the seats in my cars. I spend a lot of time on the road, so it pays to take a few minutes here and there to make sure that the seat/wheel/pedals are all in the right places. I've also been trying to drive the more comfortable ride as much as I can.

Generally, I've been paying more attention to posture and trying to get more exercise in a way that emphasizes posture and balance. Better posture + shedding a few pounds (not much, actually) = less strain on my back. Just throwing that out there, but it's really helped. Actually, even doing some simple stretches helps to get things loosened up.

But when in doubt, or when it was unbearable, I'd just down a couple ibuprofen (Advil... i'm a big believer in the name-brand candy coating) and take an absurdly hot shower/bath. Asprin helps, too, if you don't like ibuprofen.

I hope some of that helps.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by meowqueensdaddy

I was having trouble with some bad lower back pain a few months ago. I'm a bit young to be having a bad back, but I found some simple things that really helped.
Says who? My arthritis started around age 14. Most people are walking around with varying degrees of DDD and never know it until something sets it off. After age 40 you're pretty much guaranteed to have it. This has to do with blood supply and just how your body stops healing as well after age 25 or so.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Says who? My arthritis started around age 14. Most people are walking around with varying degrees of DDD and never know it until something sets it off. After age 40 you're pretty much guaranteed to have it. This has to do with blood supply and just how your body stops healing as well after age 25 or so.
Yeah - I've had a bad back (lower) since I was a teenager. My parents just said, "you're too young to have a bad back," and that was all there was to it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have arthritis already and have for a long tme.
I have it in my chest,neck shouldars and back.
I was playing a new wii fitness game last night and the top of my back hurts alot.
I will take a hot shower soon
I have had pred shots before.
Most Meds are to hard on my stomach because my gerd and influx disease.
My lower back is bad also from where I used to work

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
^Ice and heat then. If you do take an NSAID, make sure to eat something first. I have some acid reflux and other GI problems too. It was a matter of finding an NSAID I could handle (relafen) and only taking it on bad days.

Originally Posted by kluchetta

Yeah - I've had a bad back (lower) since I was a teenager. My parents just said, "you're too young to have a bad back," and that was all there was to it.
Mine said that, too.

My spine problems are genetic and the result of a car wreck that happened in childhood. It's a combination of a transitional vertebrae, a narrow lopsided pelvis, spurred vertebrae, and instability/hypermobility in some places that just all adds up to arthritis early on.
I also have SI joint dysfunction (this is where some hypermobility plays in) that's a real pain in the butt.

I've not had any epidural shots yet - too worried about side effects with my NCS, and I'm a wuss. Narcotic painkillers are pretty much useless as I either do not metabolize them well enough for them to have any effect or become tolerant quickly (even with very little use). I might as well just take acetaminophen. It's not as if they actually accomplish anything anyways.

Again, the best thing anyone can do is just work at strengthening their back and abdomen so that the muscles can support everything properly. Meds can help some, but should only be an aid to proper back care.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mews2much

I was playing a new wii fitness game last night and the top of my back hurts alot.
My conductor got a wii and was really, really sore after using it. She couldn't hold up her arms, LOL. It did get better, though.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I recommend a chiropractor.

Massage is also good, but not really effective is something is misaligned.

If you don't want to take medications given by prescription, the best non narcotic pain medication that you can take is a combination of Tylenol Plain and Ibuprophen. Both are non drowsy and both are available at the store without a prescription.

Also use an ice pack to the area causing pain. And if it's lower back, lay on the floor with your legs bent over a chair.

When in bed, use a pillow under your knees if you are on your back, and between your knees if you are on your side.

meowqueensdaddy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Wii Fit is teh Awesome! That's actually what I was referring to when I was talking about posture & balance focused exercise...
The only real problem with it is that it can't watch you to tell you if you're really doing everything right, esp in the Yoga and strength training stuff. Having an extra person watch can be really helpful and cut down on accidental strains or injuries. Still, it's a very nice mostly low-impact exercise program.

Of course, I wind up with my Zero getting under-foot in the step-aerobics stuff... he likes to attack feet sometimes. =^_^=

tari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it's muscle spasms causing your pain, try taking magnesium supplements...about 500 mg a day. It can help relieve muscle cramps. (It helps with menstral cramps, too.
)

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Upper back problems in women are usually due to having large breasts. Large breasts tend to pull on the muscles of the shoulders and upper back and neck causing severe back pain. If that is you, you may want to look into a more supportive bra (sports bras are excellent), or even breast reduction surgery. Here breast reduction is covered under our health care system because it's considered a medical need. It may be covered under your insurance as well.

ladylonewolf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Do you know what you back pain is from?

I suffer from two slipped discs in my lumbar spine - the pain is absolutely unbearable sometimes. I've tried NSAID's like Advil, etc., prescription narcotics, and I've had one doctor tell me my only recourse is surgery. Frankly, I don't want anyone messing around with my back! I also have sciatica from the two discs pushing on my sciatic nerve. I have days where I am so not a happy camper.

If you have a shower massage, try using it on the part of your back that hurts - make sure it's a good hot shower. You can also use ice - I alternate both. I've also tried acupuncture, which has been the only thing that's worked for me. I've gotten as much as 2 months pain free from acupuncture treatments, which, for the amount of pain I live with is a lot! The only bad thing about acupuncture is that some insurance companies won't pay for it and it isn't all that cheap ($50 a treatment is what I was paying). But it doesn't involve drugs or surgery, and it definitely seems to help.

You might also want to try doing some yoga - real gentle stretching of your back seems to help.

Hope you find a solution soon!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LadyLoneWolf

I suffer from two slipped discs in my lumbar spine - the pain is absolutely unbearable sometimes. I've tried NSAID's like Advil, etc., prescription narcotics, and I've had one doctor tell me my only recourse is surgery. Frankly, I don't want anyone messing around with my back! I also have sciatica from the two discs pushing on my sciatic nerve. I have days where I am so not a happy camper.
I've said it before on here, and I'll say it again. Discs do not slip. Learn your terms and understand what is actually wrong with your back. What you don't know can hurt you.

Vertebrae can "slip" - actually it's more displacing. Depending on the type of spondylolisthesis it is, it can be serious and surgery is recommended. If the vertebrae move enough you can be paralyzed... or end up with other unwelcoming symptoms as it pushes on the spinal canal and other nerves. It's best to never let a chiro touch your back.

There's also spondylosis, this is just osteoarthritis in the back when it affects nerves. This is more common.
Then there's degenerative disc disease, also very common. This is where the disc degenerate for whatever reason - includes herniations, bulges, tears, discs drying up/shrinking, and so on.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

It's best to never let a chiro touch your back.
That's where we disagree. I am a huge advocate of Chiropractors. Next to a neurologist, they know more about your spine and nerves than anyone else.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

That's where we disagree. I am a huge advocate of Chiropractors.
For spondylolisthesis?! Maybe it wouldn't seriously mess up someone with low-grade, but high-grade could be scary. Hopefully no chiro would be stupid enough to touch a spine with that.

As I keep saying, there are many different things that can go wrong in one's back. Some of them make the spine a lot more fragile. Advocate it all you want, but not everyone is going to have the same back problems you do and respond to it positively as you did.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise

a possibility - i suffered from back pain [treated w/muscle relaxants & pain meds] for 6-8 months before the cause was discovered... it was my gallbladder. the pain was just at the bottom of my bra strap.
the diagnosis wasn't made until after i had an acute attack, btw.