2 kids from my alumni died in a fatal car accident....

oscarsmommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So the Midview High School curse is back. Since my sister was in high school-she graduated in 1992, at least one kid-usually a senior-died while they were in high school. My class-2003-was the last one to lose someone. This tragedy happened every single year for 11 years.

For the first time since 2003, two students died in a fatal car accident yesterday right after school-actually less than a mile away from school. Here's the story...

http://www.chroniclet.com/2008/10/23...-students_122/

The police officers say it is the worst accident they have seen...

What's sad is that the kid had speeding tickets and the parents still let him drive. Now I'm not blaming the parents for their son being dead and driving the way he did but if I would have gotten ONE ticket, my parents would have made me ride the bus to school and taken my keys away.

Its very sad and I know that those students are going through today at school. I lost 2 very close friends in high school and 3 more since I graduated 5 years ago. It's hard and doesn't get easier....

Since so many teenagers drive this way, I really feel like the driving age should be raised to 18. I think 16 is WAAAY to young. My dad thinks it gives them too much freedom and I agree.

May the boys RIP

OH and I was friends with the driver's brother. We had a mutual friend die in a car accident in high school....

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Oscarsmommy

...Since so many teenagers drive this way, I really feel like the driving age should be raised to 18. I think 16 is WAAAY to young....
You are so absolutely right. Raising the driving age would not only save a lot of lives, but also limit the amount of trouble teenagers can get into by the simple expedient of keeping them a little closer to home.

With any luck, it might even begin to let kids be kids for a little while longer, instead of hurtling headlong toward the risks and traps of adulthood so far out ahead of the development of adult judgment.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What a terrible loss to the community, their friends and families.

May they RIP

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear this. It's always a tragedy when lives are lost due to a mistake by anyone.

As for the speeding tickets...did the parents even know about them? Kids are pretty crafty about hiding things from parents sometimes.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I heard about this on the radio this morning
How horrible for everyone involved

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, thats horrible
While I was in HS, no one ever died during the year. A girl I had gone to high school with that graduated a year before me had died though my senior year. A couple who went to the school I attended for my senior year died just before the start of the year (before I moved there).

Originally Posted by Oscarsmommy

but if I would have gotten ONE ticket, my parents would have made me ride the bus to school and taken my keys away.
I got a ticket (a stupid one) in HS, my parents didnt take my keys. Went to court and paid a bunch of money to get it erased. Rob had gotten 8 speeding tickets before his parents "revoked" his license. I think 8 is a lot, and was actually surprised he hadn't had it taken away sooner by the cops/DMV. Getting one ticket and then losing the keys (unless its something truly horrible you were ticketed for, like DUI or extreme speeding) is a bit much. I guess maybe if I experienced more deaths through school though like you did, my opinion might differ.

Since so many teenagers drive this way, I really feel like the driving age should be raised to 18. I think 16 is WAAAY to young. My dad thinks it gives them too much freedom and I agree.
I think driving at 16 on a license is ridiculous. In NJ I had to be 16.5 to get a permit, and then 17 to get a restricted license (limited hours, limited amount of passengers, etc), and 18 to get a real license. Rob told me he got his permit at 15 here in SC and a license by 16! I really dont like driving by the HS where we live when I know the students are going to/from school ... I dont trust 16 year olds behind the wheel of a 3-5000lb vehicle!

lorie d.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First of all, my thoughts and prayers go to all the friends and familys of the two boys. I have been injured in car accidents just because 16 or 17 year old kids are driving alone with a license, so I have to agree that is way too young. I think the parents should be responsible for providing transportation to after school activities and etc And if the parents don't like doing things like that, it's just tough.

A related story:
Many years ago my dad was watching TV late at night when he suddenly heard a car driving down our street at a high rate of speed followed by a very loud crash. My dad immediately ran outside to see if he could help, but it was already too late. The police estimated the car had been going at least 80 mph when it hit a light pole and was bent in half by the force of the impact. One boy was killed instantly, and the other one died a few minutes later. Things like this are preventable.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Courtney I'm soo sorry to hear that
My prayers are with all of those grieving right now We had something similar happen at my school my senior year....one of the sophmores was driving him and his little brother him from school when they got into an accident (it was the sophmore's fault, but it was honestly an accident, the weather was aweful and he just lost control and went into oncomming on traffic.) His little brother died, and he was severely injured. Our whole school was so sad