Newly adopted older Maine Coon boy...food ideas

firedancer722

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone

This is my first post here... I've been reading some threads about food choices and have a bit of a special case. I just adopted an 8 year old Maine Coon cat from our local humane society. I feel like I've won the lottery! He was a breeder's cat and was surrendered when she went into assisted living. He is just the greatest cat I've ever known and I'm sooo in love!

Anyways, I realize that he is an older cat and being a Maine Coon, he weighs about 13-14 pounds. I've been reading up on Maine Coons and have seen a lot of different suggestions for things to consider with food (joint health, larger kibble, etc). Willie is not overweight; he seems perfectly healthy. The shelter did not tell me what his owner was feeding him but the shelter had him eating Science Diet regular adult formula. From what I've read on here, SD is NOT a good food. I want to get him transitioned to something better soon!!

Soo... the other factor is cost. I do realize that with a higher quality food, I'll actually feed less, but I want to be sure it's still affordable for me. I could afford to spend about $20-25 a month on food. We have a Petco, Tractor Supply, Wal-Mart, and Target here for buying choices. If necessary, I could also get to a Petsmart.

THANKS so much in advance for any suggestions or help. I want Willie to be with me for a LONG time, and I know that he will need a good quality food to do that.

forensic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've heard good things about Royal Canin, Wellness CORE, and Natural Balance from PetCo...

Royal Canin has a 'maine coon' formulation, but I somewhat doubt that means much.
Different sized kibble maybe, which is good.

I feed Natural Balance duck and green pea... because my cat likes it.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Maxxium hairball - at walmart

petco -
natural balence
nutro
royal canin ( $$$$ for IMHO not great )
wellness $$$
blue spa

tractor supply may carry diamond natural s, taste of the wild

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The royal canin maine coon kibble is larger size and it has glucosamine/chondroitin supplement in it, which is good for their joints.

Since he is 8 years old I would recommend getting a senior blood panel done at the vet, just to make sure he has no conditions that would need a special diet.

Congrats, and of course, post pics in the Fur Pics forum when you can!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

firedancer722

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks you guys...

I went to Petco last night just to price things and look around. I really like the Wellness foods - they have glucosamine and chondroitin which I think would be good for Willie's joints. It seemed reasonably priced too for what you get. I think the Royal Canin food is just too expensive and I didn't think the ingredients looked that great (aside from the glucosamine and chondroitin).

Right now, Willie is eating about 2/3rds cup of Science Diet food a day. I tried to get him to eat some Meow Mix Market Selects wet food on Tuesday night but he just licked at the gravy a bit and left the chunks alone. I want to get him eating some wet food but he seems to just nibble a little here and there with his food. I don't want a can of wet food to go to waste if he's just going to eat a few bites! Any recommendations? Is Wellness a good wet food to get? I was thinking maybe get the large can and just scoop out a tablespoon or two for him a few times a day and keep the rest covered and refrigerated.

I do like the idea of getting a senior blood panel done... how much does that sort of thing cost?

Thank you all!!!
Candace

blaise

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by firedancer722

...I want to get him eating some wet food but he seems to just nibble a little here and there with his food. I don't want a can of wet food to go to waste if he's just going to eat a few bites! Any recommendations?
Have a read of what this feline Veterinarian-Nutritionist suggests in this section of her sebsite.

...Is Wellness a good wet food to get?
You can read Dr. Pierson's review of Wellness products here.

...I was thinking maybe get the large can and just scoop out a tablespoon or two for him a few times a day and keep the rest covered and refrigerated.
The large cans certainly represent better value, and unused portions can safely be kept sealed and refrigerated...but, it's probably preferable to transfer the food into glass/ceramic containers first. (That has to do with the interior chemical coating of the cans leeching into the food.)

...I do like the idea of getting a senior blood panel done... how much does that sort of thing cost?
Really, the only way to determine this is to call the Vet clinics and inquire...if it were me, I'd get prices first, then approach the cat-only clinic (if there's one nearby) and say i'm seeking a Vet and ask them to match the best price (if theirs is not the lowest). Unfortunately, Vets are not "created equal", but you're more likely to find a feline-competent Vet at a feline-only clinic!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
senior panels here run 35$ for a clinic with it in house to 150$ for one sending it out ...

often a drawback to big cans is the taste( small cans cooked in own juice taste better just like smaller kibbles taste better)... I agree with the move it to another container when using a bigger can

some cats are not huge wet fans ... others only eat pate ( no gravy) , chunks with gravey or shredded

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wellness is generally better than the Royal Canin so I would try that. I might try changing his dry food first and let him become accustomed to that before trying to make him eat the wet. You don't want to change too much too soon or it will upset his tummy.

My cats eat the same basic dry mix, but eats a rotation of about 5-7 different brands/flavors. The only way to determine what your boy likes is just trial and error. And just because he eats it once, doesn't mean he will any other time
Never buy a whole case of canned until you're sure he will eat it! We've all been through that

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Maine Coon is picky about his food too. In adition to not liking alot of the food offered, he doesn't eat heartily like my bengals. He's a nibbler.

He likes RC kitten kibble, IAMs Hairball formula, several varities of canned foods and Venison, served raw.

Problem is, he takes a few bites and leaves, then comes back later for more and it isn't there for him because the bengals have scarfed it down.