post neuter question

marleyandme

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Marley got nuetered yesterday. The vet said he did great and expect him to sleep the rest of the night, which he did. He is a HUGE talker. He didn't even meow once last night and today when he meowed, it was very high pitched sounding.....nothing like his normal meow. Is this because he is still weak?

Also, he is 6mo and 8lbs. How much more should I expect him to grow? He is very long and lean so I don't think he will be huge, but should I expect him to grow quite a bit more?

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You should expect him to grow to his maximum size. It's a cats genetics that determine size, and neutering him will not stop him from growing. He probably won't develop the big tom cat head, but other than that...

skimble

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My boy was neutered two weeks ago. He is 8 lbs 9 oz at 6 months old and is long, tall and lean.

When he got over being sleep and meowed it was a high pitched squeaky noise. Not his usual. At first I wondered what had happened. As the hours went by the meow improved.

I attributed it to stll having some of the drugs in his system and maybe a dry throat. He was back to normal quickly. Hope he feels better soon.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

marleyandme

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He seems fine now, all meows back to normal and last night he was back to chasing my dog! He's such a crazy cat

I guess my question about growth was meant to ask, how old is a cat when they stop growing...nuetered or not? Do they stop growing around a year or before? He is domestic long hair...

zoeysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
When Belle and Delilah came home from their spay surgery, they seemed to have "sore" throats and little meows. I asked the vet tech if they put anything down their throats during surgery and I was told that yes, indeed, they put a tube down their throats.

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MarleyAndMe

I guess my question about growth was meant to ask, how old is a cat when they stop growing...nuetered or not? Do they stop growing around a year or before? He is domestic long hair...
Again, it depends on a cats genetics. A small breed cat is full grown between 1-2 years, but a larger breed cat isn't considered fully mature until 2-4 years of age.