just need to vent

~*regina*~

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just thought I would share what I notice working at a petstore...
People will come up to buy there items and I notice alot of people feed the absolute best to there dogs but feed crap to there cats. I will let them know that what they are going to be feeding there cat is all fillers and not good for them. Almost all the responses I get are "they are just cats". Sometimes I wonder why I even try.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ~*Regina*~

I just thought I would share what I notice working at a petstore...
People will come up to buy there items and I notice alot of people feed the absolute best to there dogs but feed crap to there cats. I will let them know that what they are going to be feeding there cat is all fillers and not good for them. Almost all the responses I get are "they are just cats". Sometimes I wonder why I even try.
"Just" cats? Why the hell do they even have "just" cats? I had no idea there were people out there that owned cats that felt that way about their cats. If I had your job I would soon be fired for popping one of the customers.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You keep trying cause you care
Don't stop - even if one in ten people take the time to research after you've told them; at least one cat will be fed better

balstadohana

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
and here I am feeling guilty that my cat get better food than my dog...(yes I am going to get the dog on better food once we get closer to the end of what we have right now).

*pepper*

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I actually know someone who does the same thing. Dog gets Innova, cat gets Special Kitty. I've tried and tried convincing her to switch, but nope, it is "just a cat" to her.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by *Pepper*

I actually know someone who does the same thing. Dog gets Innova, cat gets Special Kitty. I've tried and tried convincing her to switch, but nope, it is "just a cat" to her.
Those fools heard the song that goes

"Oh, he's just a cat,
That's all he'll ever be,
Oh, he's just a cat,
That's all he'll mean to me
Oh, he's just a cat,
Fortunately, I have forgot the rest.

phillygal

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have heard that before, too, when shopping for pet food. Keep trying anyway! You never know when you put an idea into someone's mind to get them thinking about good nutrition and the health of all of their pets!

Cats are second-class citizens to many folks and that is sad.

dave_l

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was discussing cat food with someone. She feeds her cats cheap food, since she doesn't see any point in spending a lot of money on food that will wind up in the litter box a short while later.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If ignorance really is bliss, there must be some mighty happy people out there.

Don't give up, you may well make a difference in some kitty's life. I've got our neighbour feeding her cats much better food so it will work for some people. It never ceases to amaze me how people can be so good to their dogs and treat their cats so poorly. I guess they are what we call "dog" people.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What annoys me more is that soo many petshops have more space, food and toys for dogs than cats.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Another thing that bothers me is I have been looking for a book on a Sphynx.
They have alot of books on Dogs and very few on cats.
Also all the pet clothes are for dogs.
I want something for the sphynx so she will be warm in winter.

yam102284

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My future in-laws don't understand why we spend so much on our two cats. They don't see why we spend so much on their food, litter box, and why we bought them a fountain. My FMIL laughed when she saw it. They have one indoor/outdoor cat who I'm pretty sure they think of as "just a cat." It really irritates me to the fullest extent when they talk so badly about cats. My FFIL said "if we had to spend $40 on Junior (their cat) he'd be gone." That was in reference to boarding our cats for a 5 day visit for my fiance's sister's wedding. I started arguing and made the statement that they are like our kids, and are part of our family, not just a cat. I had to leave the room after because I was so frustrated with what they were saying, that I probably would have said something I would've regretted. I've learned to just brush what they say off, and not let it bother me. Usually when that happens, I have to leave the room.

I know that my cats are one of the most important things in my life, and they are so much more than my cats, they're my family.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dave_L

I was discussing cat food with someone. She feeds her cats cheap food, since she doesn't see any point in spending a lot of money on food that will wind up in the litter box a short while later.
Hmm. Wonder what she buys for herself since most of it's going to end up in the toilet a short time later.

meowqueensdaddy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by yam102284

I know that my cats are one of the most important things in my life, and they are so much more than my cats, they're my family.
Some folks get it, but most don't. To the kind of folks on TCS, cats are family (and probably sometimes closer than the human family). My GFs father always says, "It's just a cat," but it's grown into a very affectionate remark... when one of theirs had to be pts (kidney failure, I think), the man was devastated.

I cruised through my local supermarket's pet section yesterday, for the first time in a while, and since I wasn't in a hurry I read all the labels. It was moderately disturbing, nutritionally speaking.

ninacaliente

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mews2much

Another thing that bothers me is I have been looking for a book on a Sphynx.
They have alot of books on Dogs and very few on cats.
We searched for some little shirts for Sprout, but when we finally found one that fit he hated it! Maybe your baby won't mind wearing them though, since you'll be starting with a young kitten.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mews2much

I use the ones for Chihuahuas, they fit Sphynx