Attention-seeking misbehavior

tsarinanikol

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Warning... long post ahead.

This might sound bad to my fellow cat lovers out there: I adore my cats, but one of them is downright annoying 30% of the time. I haven't gotten decent sleep in over two months because of her. Every time I make progress in one area of negative behavior, or eliminate a bad habit, she quickly finds a new (and often more disruptive) one to compensate. I do not know what need drives this... I assume it is attention seeking behavior, but I have tried to play and interact with her more to no avail, and have attempted both punishing and ignoring her annoying behavior. None of this has helped. She views almost every form of correction as a game, including water spraying, and has almost completely stopped responding to verbal commands. As soon as I try to correct her behavior, she is back five seconds later, repeating it. If I ignore it, she persists for LONG periods of time.

She stands at my sliding glass door all night and howls, jumps on furniture near my bed, climbs onto shelves to attack curtains, jumps onto my vanity, the bookshelf... there is simply no end! Curtain climbing, running back and forth, knocking things over on any surface, leaping from one piece of furniture to another... I cannot go a single night without waking up to a loud CRASH! or three at some ungodly AM hour. She only does this in the evenings and through the night, sometimes until four in the morning. I am on the brink of insanity here. I cannot keep her out of the bedroom because of her carpet ripping obsession, and if I try to engage her in play so I can go back to bed, she shows minimal interest. I have gotten in the habit of putting her in her cat carrier when she starts misbehaving, for about ten or fifteen minutes, and that helps... but she runs under the bed now when I come for her, and the game continues on, so I spend a good chunk of my would-be-sleeping time up chasing my cat around. =/ I have to be doing something wrong. This may also sound bad, but I have tried to recalibrate her sleeping schedule by interrupting her day time cat naps in an effort to curb the nighttime crazies. This did make her stop waking me up at five AM, but now the 'midnight special' is a staple in the nightly program.

She is spayed, over one year old, a strictly indoor cat, though she has gone out on the balcony a few times. Maybe that's why she is howling at the glass door? But really, I would just love some suggestions about what else I can try. I am so frustrated by her penchant for turning everything into a bloody game, and I do mean everything. The two younger cats are not nearly so bad at night... please help!

skimble

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You may have researched and read this already. Forgive me if you have.

http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90105

http://www.thecatsite.com/Behavior/1...t-Crazies.html

http://www.thecatsite.com/Behavior/4...-Dont-Mix.html

I had a very similar problem with the all night behavior and the vet recommended doing as you did by interupting their daytime napping.

Many say to ignore the behavior because anything you do is reinforcing it. Be it positive or negative response from you. Very hard to do.

Hope a solution is found and you can get some sleep.

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I may get alot of flack for saying this but maybe she needs to go outside. I had a cat growing up that would climb curtains and knock things over and go crazy. He was better once we started to let him out.

May be a consideration, if you are in an okay place to let him out. It has it's risks but some cats are just happier outside.

If it's not safe near you could you rehome him at a farm or more rural area with people who need barn cats? I was fostering a kitty that was totally unhappy inside and the shelter got her a lovely home as a indoor/outdoor barn cat.
Its a possiblity.

I agree that any attention is ATTENTION. So ignoring is the only way. Take down the curtains and the objects that can get knocked over is the only option to improve YOUR sanity, but what about kitty? Just because the behavoir has stopped doesn't mean the reason behind that behavoir is better.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG! I have to firmly disagree with the last to replies, letting her outdoors and/or putting her on medication is definitely not the answer! Allowing her out on the balcony is actually very good as long as it is a protected area. Window perches also help kitties who enjoy watching outdoor activity but are in the safety of our homes. It definitely sounds like she is looking for interaction from you. Some kitties prefer human interaction and will go about getting it in the most obnoxious ways!
It sounds to me that your responses or disciplinary attempts to her behavior are only encouraging her, basically teasing or badgering. Cats don't respond to physical, relative, or notional discipline. It has to be relative to the behavior at that moment as well as to their instinctual, natural behavior. A spray bottle is most likely going to aggravate or increase such behavior. Encouraging play during sleeping times when she is looking for attention only satisfies her attempt to get attention. Temporary enclosure, you mentioned cat carrier, is only going to make her fear your approach and the carrier in general. You definitely don't want this, for instance if you needed to take her to the vet or if there was an emergency situation where you needed to evacuate your home.
I would try verbal communication. It doesn't have to be negative, but more encouragement, reassurance that you are there and shes not alone. Most important is to not get up and attempt any physical reaction. Another important factor is when their feeding time is. Never feed them first thing in the morning and definitely evening feeding should be atleast 2 hours before bedtime. This establishes their internal clocks (atleast some what
). Food should never be left out over night, it only encourages activity.
Very important is interactive play for a good period of time before bedtime.
Also building and having designated areas for them. Window perches, ramps, specific areas that are made for them or they are allowed on.
Just remember that she will respond to what is instinctual for her, not what your instinctual disciplinary action may be.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey, just know you are so not alone!
My cat has done this too. What I did was get a lot more toys, get another tall cat tree, attach toys to cat tree, and play with kitty with a string fishing lure type toy, a mouse that makes noise attached to a string and a wand for me to hold and move or a laser light for an hour each night. Now I don' t have to play with kitty for an hour each night every night. All the toys and places to climb and roam also helped a lot.
Is your cat food obsessed? Find toys that incorporate food or cat nip if you kitty likes it. How much room does your cat have to climb?
You can find cool cat trees on ebay.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cococat

Hey, just know you are so not alone!
My cat has done this too. What I did was get a lot more toys, get another tall cat tree, attach toys to cat tree, and play with kitty with a string fishing lure type toy, a mouse that makes noise attached to a string and a wand for me to hold and move or a laser light for an hour each night. Now I don' t have to play with kitty for an hour each night every night. All the toys and places to climb and roam also helped a lot.
Is your cat food obsessed? Find toys that incorporate food or cat nip if you kitty likes it. How much room does your cat have to climb?
You can find cool cat trees on ebay.
Great advice!