aww poor Mai Sai....

othie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
sometimes it just breaks my heart.
I came home from school and Mai Sai is right there, wanting to play. So we play fetch for a bit, then Tess came in (the room mate's cat, about 7-8 years old) and Mai Sai stops what he's doing and stalks her. She will hiss if he gets to close, so he peeks away the corner, moving when she moves, trying to get closer and closer...
Sometimes he will pounce on her tail, or try to lick her when she is asleep, but as soon as he does, she swaps him, hisses and runs away....poor kitty just wants a playmate :-( I wish I could get another cat for him, but I'm only allowed one...

Any ideas on how to get Tess more interested? or am I just out of luck? As much as I hate to say it, I think shes just to old to want to play....

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by othie

sometimes it just breaks my heart.
I came home from school and Mai Sai is right there, wanting to play. So we play fetch for a bit, then Tess came in (the room mate's cat, about 7-8 years old) and Mai Sai stops what he's doing and stalks her. She will hiss if he gets to close, so he peeks away the corner, moving when she moves, trying to get closer and closer...
Sometimes he will pounce on her tail, or try to lick her when she is asleep, but as soon as he does, she swaps him, hisses and runs away....poor kitty just wants a playmate :-( I wish I could get another cat for him, but I'm only allowed one...

Any ideas on how to get Tess more interested? or am I just out of luck? As much as I hate to say it, I think shes just to old to want to play....
You mention that Tess is 7-8 years old but not how old Mai Sai is. I will say he is a handsome cat from your siggy and looks just like a cat I once owned that I called Greycat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

othie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Persi & Alley

You mention that Tess is 7-8 years old but not how old Mai Sai is. I will say he is a handsome cat from your siggy and looks just like a cat I once owned that I called Greycat.
oh I'm sorry lol sometimes I worry I talk about him a bit to much. Mai Sai is 8 months old (adopted from a shelter so I can't pinpoint it, only that they told me he was about 5 months when I got him).

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by othie

oh I'm sorry lol sometimes I worry I talk about him a bit to much. Mai Sai is 8 months old (adopted from a shelter so I can't pinpoint it, only that they told me he was about 5 months when I got him).
OK, I understand better now. This looks like a generation gap problem to me. Mai Sai is still officially still just a kitten doing the things that kittens do. Tess is set in her ways and does not appreciate a youngster's ways. But things change. I predict that things will be just fine in time.

Congratulations on adopting a kitten from the shelter!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

othie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm so happy! I walked into the spare room upstairs today (Tess's "room") and I saw Tess and Mai Sai sleeping just a foot apart on the bed! Granted this isn't playing, but its a huge step, maybe there is hope still