Favorite Graveyards?

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Skippymjp's thread got me to thinking about graveyards and, since it is the season, I wondered if anyone else likes old graveyards or has a favorite. My favorite is one a block away from where I grew up. I used to ride my bike or take walks through it all the time when I was younger. The tombstones fascinated me and taught me a lot about the history of my town. It dates back to early to mid 1800's and there is even some that served in the Revolutionary war buried there.

http://www.judgedavidlynn.com/Rose_Hill_Cemetery.htm

If you click on the link to "vistin Rose Hill" you will see more of the old tombstones, along with a few of the crypts. There is also a musoleum there, but that is only open to family members.

It's actually very quiet (obviously) and peaceful. In the fall, it's common to see deer grazing around the grave markers. But, it IS kind of spooky at night!

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is also a Rose Hill Cemetery in Macon, GA. It is where Duane Allman is buried. The song by the Allman Brothers "In Memory of Elizabeth Reed" refers to a woman's grave that was nearby to the place they used to gather in the cemetery to drink.
I have a dear friend buried in a church plot in SC that has some amazing headstones. Some described detailed battles that the person fought in during the Civil War.
There is one in Augusta, Ga that I used to go to to get away from living people and think. My daughter is a photographer for the local paper, and has gotten some amazing pics from there.
I wish there was one close by I could go to to just sit or read the stones, but here they are mostly pretty new, and not that interesting.

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My husband has a Generation III night vision scope with infa-red. We go to the cemetery and ghost watch. We have seen some unexplained things out there! We will go Oct 31 again.

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, actually, my favorite cemetery is the one at Trinity Place in NYC. I have been there to see the grave of Alexander Hamilton and it is interesting because it is in the heart of Wall Street.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trinity...hyard_Cemetery

Then my girl friend and co-worker were in New Orleans on business and we went on a tour of a famous cemetery. It is a Catholic cemetery but there are lots of voodoo things on the graves. The dead have to be buried in mausoleums above ground because otherwise the bodies would float down the Mississippi because New Orleans is below sea level.

http://goneworleans.about.com/od/fam...Cemetaries.htm

I guess my favorite cemetery is one in Ithaca, NY where I went to college because it was cool. I mean temperature wise. I used to go there to study for finals when it was hot because it was quiet, there were trees and the grass was lush and watered.

Okay, I have had a bad day today. I usually don't dwell on cemeteries.

sibohan2005

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In the town where I live there is one of the most historic graveyars in Canada "Ye olde Burying Ground" dates early 1800 and is a important local historic site. my hometown is also the site of the last Fatal Duel in Canada. The graveyard was recently vandalized and quite a bit of damage incured, I was proud that the people in the area came together and helped clean up the mess.
http://perthcourier.com/PerthCourier/article/6082

My other favorite cemetary is at Grant this is where my dad's family is burried includeing most recently my Grandmother, grandfather and Uncle. it is in the middle of the rose forrest and is a very scary lonely place. The church no longer stands just the graveyard surrounded by trees.
http://www.ghosttownpix.com/ontario/towns/grant.html

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The local cemetery where I grew up holds quite a lot of interest for me. It is not exactly a family cemetery but I would say at least 3/4 of the people buried there are related to me somehow.
It is like a genealogy lesson to visit considering I have both my parents there.
Grandparents, on both sides, Great-grandparents from both sides, and Great-great grandparents from both sides.
The thing is stories are handed down about the people from generation to generation. Like how my great-uncle Lou wasn't to bright but he could sure play the fiddle. Or how great-great Grampa John was crushed by a log when he was 21 and walked with canes all his life.
It's a historical archive really.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MonaxLisa

Without a doubt
http://www.benjerry.com/halloween/flavor_graveyard.cfm

From Russia with Buzz was my favorite...sigh... : )
I wondered what kind of graveyard was called "benjerry"...Ok, I'm a bit slow today!

At least I know I'm not completely morbid or alone in my fascination. My mom always thought I was "troubled" because I liked to hang out in the cemetery
. I don't know if she thought I was into satanic worship or raising the dead or what. She just didn't understand that I liked to read the old headstones and wonder about the people and what their lives were like. And, I think they would appriciate being thought about after such a long time.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My all-time favorite is the cemetery in Skagway, Alaska. There is a grave there with a big tombstone of the guy who shot Soapy Smith but also died in the fight. It says, "He gave his life for the honor of Skagway." Right next to it is the grave of one of the working girls. It says, "She gave her honor for the life of Skagway."

Lots of interesting graves there.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

Skippymjp's thread got me to thinking about graveyards and, since it is the season, I wondered if anyone else likes old graveyards or has a favorite.
As a world traveller, I can attest that the very best graveyards are in Transylvania. Spending a midnight in a sleeping bag in a Transylvanian graveyard gives one new perspective on life!

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My father was deeply into history, and we visited a lot of graveyards whenever we traveled... but I don't remember a particular favorite. Now Papa is buried at the DFW National Cemetery (military, like Arlington National Cemetery near DC), and I always like to read the inscriptions on other graves when we go to visit him.

There are very tight restrictions on the length, but people still manage to convey a lot about the personalities of the departed. So far, my favorite inscription is for a Sgt who would have been the right age to be a hippie... his stone reads:

SAW THE WORLD
GAVE IT A SMILE

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by whuckleberry

I love Mt. Auburn Cemetary in Cambridge, MA. It's beautiful and has lots of historically significant graves and tombs. There is a tower you can climb up and the view is incredible. Gorgeous this time of year!

http://www.mountauburn.org/
You are right, it is a beautiful cemetery! Our daughter was born in Mt. Auburn Hospital (also an awesome place - my husband and I had a catered dinner together the last night at the hospital before bringing our baby home! We could have even ordered wine but I was on too many pain-killers so I declined, lol.)

clpeters23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love walking through cemeteries. One of my favorites in the Chicago area is Mt. Carmel where Al Capone is buried. There's tons of opulent masoleums and an area with pictures of the person as they appeared deceased on the headstone. Creepy but cool!