I have trouble with OTC meds, so I do it naturally:
1. Eat lots of raw garlic--use it tossed in fresh pasta--you don*t have to eat it by itself! My fave meal: fresh fettucine, cooked, tossed with diced raw garlic (1-2 small cloves), olive oil, diced black olives, sprinled with Parmesan (canned is ok), and crumbled bacon (I usually use Bacos). Toss in any diced tomatoes, green peas, and especially roasted red peppers you may have. (The peppers are full of Vit. C.)
2. Eat chili or tomato soup.
3. Twice a day, drink 2 TBL of vinegar (any kind) in an 8 oz glass of cold water. You can, in addition, gargle with diluted vinegar. I think drinking it cuts the congestion; at any rate, I feel a LOT better afterwards, even though it tastes kinda nasty.
4. Put a few drops of peppermint oil in your bath water; breathe it in.
5. I swear by Celestial Seasonings Red Zinger tea. Hot is best, but iced is nice, too. Probably works due to the rose hips, peppermint, etc. in it. Tastes GREAT! (Float a slice of lemon in it, too--more Vit. C.) ginger tea is good, too, though I think the Zinger is better.
6. Drink tons of water each day. Yep, you*ll be in the bathroom a lot, but I think this helps excrete the infection. At any rate, though I feel a bit weak after a few hours of this, the cold seems quite a bit better.
Hope you feel better, fast! I think I will be the next victim--MIL is visiting, and has a terrible cold (she*s in the guest room now, tucked up in bed, watching Dancing with the Stars, and hacking.)