Jesus Christ Superstar

baloneysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Anyone seen this movie? I am Jewish, but I remember when I was younger my best friend was Christian and since I wanted to go to summer camp with her and her parents would only let her go to a religious camp, my parents (how wonderfully open they are to everything) sent me, a little Jewish girl, to a Christian camp.

Of course, afterwards, I was confused about religion so my parents taught me about all kinds of religions to see what I thought about them. One thing they showed me was Jesus Christ Superstar. I loved this movie so much it became my Childhood movie. My sister, friends and I would watch it every night, memorizing the songs, and the dance moves. We put on plays for our parents, we even saw it live when it came to Toronto… with the original Jesus singing!

No point really to this story. I am making my boyfriend watch it tonight. Heâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s a little scared since on the weekend I drank a little much and played the scenes over and over again on Utube and made him sing along. To his credit… he did it LOL. Hes such a sweetie LOL.

So, anyone have any fun childhood movie memories that are a little odd?

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was in high school when Jesus Christ Superstar was released (not the movie, the albums); an all-girl Catholic high school. I remember some of the nuns were horrified while some thought it was wonderful. I've always been a big fan of the music.
"Godspell" came out about the same time. It also has some great songs. That was the movie played at our all-night-after-prom party. My, how times have changed!
You'd probably enjoy it, too.

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Actually it's a pretty good musical, the soundtrack for it did very well. I have seen it a couple of times and will say the music is better then the movie which is a little surreal. It did effectively end Ted Neely's career, he was the one who played Jesus, I think I seen him in one other movie but I guess once your typed cast as Jesus it's hard to get parts..

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The movie is awesome and so is the soundtrack! Our Easter tradition is to cook out and listen to the CD. We remember it from the 70's, but it is timeless to us.

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am Jewish now but was raised Catholic. That is another story.

I went to Catholic school, K - 12, both co-ed. Godspell came out about the same time as Jesus Christ, Superstar. The former nun who was my teacher played both of the albums for us to show the humane side of Christ and that he could forgive prostitutes. The parents were livid and she could no longer play those albums. Albums - dates me.

Our daughter is a Bat Mitzvah. Her portion was Tamar, the harlot by the side of the road. I guess it is the second oldest profession in both testaments.

I do love Yvonne Elleman's rendition of "I Don't Know How to Love Him."

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I loved JCS - saw the movie AND saw it twice as live performance. DH had seen the movie but not the live version. So when it was in Minneapolis, we treated ourselves. He really liked it
(is not big on musicals).

My mom said that I cried a lot during Lady and the Tramp movie when I was little.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
My introduction to "Jesus Christ, Superstar" was at a high school church retreat. We had the sound track and two screens set up with the words projected onto one and a slide show of pictures from The Holy Land on the other. It was a great way to learn all the songs.

About 10 or 12 years later I saw the stage show in Aberdeen, Scotland. Again I loved it.

I didn't see the movie until some time in the mid-90's when my sister rented it to show to her kids. The music was still great, but the production wasn't nearly as good as the live show.

I'm going to have to check around and see if anybody is still doing the live shows. If there's one close enough maybe we can take the church youth group. That could be a fun evening.

cattybird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I saw the movie and The traveling show, that had Yvonne Elliman as Mary Magdalene and Ben Vereen as Judas. The movie was good, but personally I thought the theater version was better. BTW, what ever did happen to Teddy Neeley?

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldyCat

I'm going to have to check around and see if anybody is still doing the live shows. If there's one close enough maybe we can take the church youth group. That could be a fun evening.
our local theatre did it a couple of years ago. if you're not requiring professionals, i'll bet you'd be able to find a live show.

i was in a production of Godspell in 1999. i got to sing the best song, too - Turn Back, O Man!
[this isn't me, but just so y'all know what the song is!]

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by silvionc

Anyone seen this movie? I am Jewish, but I remember when I was younger my best friend was Christian and since I wanted to go to summer camp with her and her parents would only let her go to a religious camp, my parents (how wonderfully open they are to everything) sent me, a little Jewish girl, to a Christian camp.

Of course, afterwards, I was confused about religion so my parents taught me about all kinds of religions to see what I thought about them. One thing they showed me was Jesus Christ Superstar. I loved this movie so much it became my Childhood movie. My sister, friends and I would watch it every night, memorizing the songs, and the dance moves. We put on plays for our parents, we even saw it live when it came to Toronto… with the original Jesus singing!

No point really to this story. I am making my boyfriend watch it tonight. Heâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s a little scared since on the weekend I drank a little much and played the scenes over and over again on Utube and made him sing along. To his credit… he did it LOL. Hes such a sweetie LOL.

So, anyone have any fun childhood movie memories that are a little odd?
Jesus Christ Superstar is my second favorite musical, only to Evita. Both movies are in fact operas (by definition). I don't believe there is a single sentence in either movie that is spoken, not sung. True opera.

lokismum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I absolutely LOVE this musical................and Godspell too! Course I'm a child of the 70s when these were popular!

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I remember when the play (and the soundtrack album) came out. I was in college at the time.

I would guess it's as true to live as Hamlet, Don Giovanni, or the Music Man. That is, it has elements of truth to it, but the music is the important part, and historical fact (what little bit there is about Jesus) takes a back seat.