Huge-a-mungo Litter Box

sohni

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I read on TCS about maintaining a huge litter box, and there was a really good link with excellent instructions. After both of my cats used my bed as a litter box for a week while I was on holiday, and Tsekani making a huge puddle in the middle of my roomate's bed when he left the door open to 10 minutes, I decided to try something new in terms of litter. Tsekani is a whole male breeding cat, just coming into his sexuality. He hasn't sprayed, but his urine is definitely aromatic.

So I used a 37 litre sterilite container, sawing an entrance into the side. I have filled it to 8 inches deep with good quality clumping litter and I clean it out multiple times a day. I also did a thorough cleaning of my unfinished basement, finding a few dog blankets and towels that seemed to have cat urine on them. So far so good!

I used to use 2 covered litter boxes for the two cats, and I realize now from reading that article that covered litter boxes may not be the best solution. The sides of their new box are high enough to give them a feeling of privacy, but the open top makes me more aware of what is goin on inside. They are both using it, and I have been watching them to ensure that there are no elimination problems.

One question I have is the disposal of deposits. Currently I am keeping a pail lined with a kitchen garbage bag beside the litter box. The pail has a close fitting lid, and I have been putting multiple deposits into it and sealing the lid. I don't really want to throw out 2 or 3 kitchen sized bags daily. So I am letting them accumulate a bit before throwing out the whole bag. Are these deposits OK as is, or should I be sprinkling them with baking soda or some type of powder between dumps? They are clumped up with litter of course.

zane's pal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sohni

One question I have is the disposal of deposits. Currently I am keeping a pail lined with a kitchen garbage bag beside the litter box. The pail has a close fitting lid, and I have been putting multiple deposits into it and sealing the lid. I don't really want to throw out 2 or 3 kitchen sized bags daily. So I am letting them accumulate a bit before throwing out the whole bag. Are these deposits OK as is, or should I be sprinkling them with baking soda or some type of powder between dumps? They are clumped up with litter of course.
Sprinkling with baking soda certainly can't hurt.

Also, when filling the box, put a layer of baking soda on the bottom, another about halfway up, and when you clean out the box, sprinkle some soda on top. Baking soda will neutralize the acid in the urine and will absorb the odor from the faeces.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sohni

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks. The set up is definitely working better than my previous boxes. It's surprising how much more potent whole male smell is even if they aren't spraying.