Sunny's getting neutered tomorrow. What can I expect?

chadsgirl374

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Little Sunny has an appointment for 7am tomorrow to be neutered. He's normally a wild and crazy little kitten and he's absolutely in to everything that's not nailed down in the house.

We love and adore him the way that he is and it sure would be a shame to have his larger-than-life personality altered as well. How much of a personality change, if any, can I expect to see as a result of having him neutered?

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How old is he? If he's younger than 6 months or so, the odds are good it won't change him at all. In fact, I am reminded of one kitten we had at the shelter who was much as you describe, and when he came back from the vet, they poured him out of the carrier, he hit the ground on the bounce, and he never gave a hint he'd been anywhere or had anything done to him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chadsgirl374

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He's a couple of weeks shy of 7 mos. old. I sure hope he doesn't experience a change other than his incessant whining to get outside. He hasn't started spraying yet which is a good thing.

I just hope that with all that he's been through in his short life already (Bartonella's disease) that he emerges from his surgery as good as new.

Thank you.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He may have a day or two of "quiet". But his personality will not change - he will not have the desire to go outside hunting for females, so will redirect that attention to you.

However, it takes up to 2 months before his system is free of hormones and sperm - he can get an unspayed female pregnant during that time.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by chadsgirl374

Little Sunny has an appointment for 7am tomorrow to be neutered. He's normally a wild and crazy little kitten and he's absolutely in to everything that's not nailed down in the house.

We love and adore him the way that he is and it sure would be a shame to have his larger-than-life personality altered as well. How much of a personality change, if any, can I expect to see as a result of having him neutered?
I noticed no difference whatsoever when Persi was nuetered. I also was afraid that he might somehow be different but my fears were unfounded.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chadsgirl374

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I sure hope that is the case for Sunny. He's at the vet's right now and I get to pick him up today at 4pm. It's so terribly boring around the house without him. I'm was able to get my household chores done in less than 1/2 the time it takes with him "helping/supervising" me. It's hard to imagne how we lived so long without having a cat
He's definately enriched our lives just by being here.