My heart is breaking today

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have had a pair of cats at our shelter for about a year. They are the sweetest cats, but they have both gone into renal failure since arriving. At this point I know the chances of them finding a home are extreemly low. It's been a problem for a few months, but I took a look at the brother yesterday and realized just how thin he has gotten. I don't know how much time he has left, and I fear once we loose him she will follow (they are litter mates & about 7-8 years old). I just don't understand how two such wonderful cats did not get adopted? The ones that never leave the shelter are the ones that break my heart the most!!!

rotobay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If I ever win the Lotto, I'm buying a big farm so I can rescue all the cats that no one else wants. But at least the brother and sister cat have each other (for now) and are getting food, water and shelter....which is more than a lot of homeless cats are getting. Shelter work must be agonizing, but I am glad that people are willing to do it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was talking to the director about these two she said, "People always tell me they want to start a shelter & I think No you don't. It's too many heart aches." I have to say when I first started volunteering the first cat we lost sent me spinning. I have learned to grieve but never lose site of the hundreds of other cats that need our help. It's never easy, especially with two such sweet cats.

straymagnet

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Bless their hearts and yours too. At least they are receiving loving kindness from people at the shelter and aren't relegated to surviving on the streets. I used to volunteer at a shelter and would foster dogs - I would always ask for the dog that needed to get out of there the most because some would have been there for months. Now that I have a family and more of my own animals and less time, I can't do that anymore, but it was hard seeing the ones that were sweet who people would just bypass because they weren't puppies or kittens or the cutest ones. The last cat I adopted was a stray who had been at a rescue center for the better part of a year - he was a nondescript black cat - who has turned out to be absolutely beautiful with love and care and has the funniest personality ever! The (pregnant) stray who recently found me is a basic brown tabby who would likely be overlooked at a shelter, so rather than keep one of her kittens like my kids want to do, I told them we will try to find homes for the kittens, but probably keep her if she doesn't get a home with them because she would be the harder one to place - plus she's a sweetheart. I wish people would ask the shelter workers which cats would be a best match for them rather than just going on appearance because people who work there have better insight into the personalities of the animals and some of the best matches might not be the prettiest cats or dogs. Bless you for what you do. You are an angel. I'm sure the kitties sense that you care and that counts for a lot.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by straymagnet

Bless their hearts and yours too. At least they are receiving loving kindness from people at the shelter and aren't relegated to surviving on the streets. I used to volunteer at a shelter and would foster dogs - I would always ask for the dog that needed to get out of there the most because some would have been there for months. Now that I have a family and more of my own animals and less time, I can't do that anymore, but it was hard seeing the ones that were sweet who people would just bypass because they weren't puppies or kittens or the cutest ones. The last cat I adopted was a stray who had been at a rescue center for the better part of a year - he was a nondescript black cat - who has turned out to be absolutely beautiful with love and care and has the funniest personality ever! The (pregnant) stray who recently found me is a basic brown tabby who would likely be overlooked at a shelter, so rather than keep one of her kittens like my kids want to do, I told them we will try to find homes for the kittens, but probably keep her if she doesn't get a home with them because she would be the harder one to place - plus she's a sweetheart. I wish people would ask the shelter workers which cats would be a best match for them rather than just going on appearance because people who work there have better insight into the personalities of the animals and some of the best matches might not be the prettiest cats or dogs. Bless you for what you do. You are an angel. I'm sure the kitties sense that you care and that counts for a lot.
Hear, hear! People pick the "pretty" or "cute" animals, without much consideration of the animal's personality. Having volunteered with a rescue for 4+ years, I can say, some of the loveliest animals have been the "homely" ones. Or just a "plain black cat" as you said. I think BCs are gorgeous!

wyatturpsmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm with Rotobay. My best friend and I have often spoken about doing the same thing. Starting our own shelter if we ever win the lottery! Let's put good vibes on each other!