Clicker training is so easy!

simpleblue

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
In two 5 minute sessions Amy learned to jump on any raised surface I told her to. These surfaces were: a stool, giant rubbermaid box, bed, and pillow and lid laying on the ground. All I had to do was say, "Amy,.. Come", and quickly double-tap the surface with a wand. She would leap on-top of that surface.

During the later part of the training I tried to trick Amy by looking in the opposite direction I double-tapped. I also would lift the wand up right after so she would have to remember where I tapped and not just chase the wand. She knew what to do!

To save space and better explain it for those interested, I'll just post the video link I learned the clicker method from:

And there you go. Just thought I'd post some happy news.

hwc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I guess I must have really smart kitties. They don't even need clicker training to chase a want or a laser light!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

simpleblue

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by hwc

I guess I must have really smart kitties. They don't even need clicker training to chase a want or a laser light!
You probably do have smart kitties! That's cool they like the laser. I just thought Amy and I would do things a little different. Just thought it would be fun for us.

hwc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
SimpleBlue:

It's cute. I was just poking a little fun at the lady in the video who claimed the clicker was training the cat to do things that any cat in the world would do on its own. I don't know if you could get a cat to stop touching that wand as long as she is waving it around.

One of my kitties, Bubba Jr., is a rocket scientist. Miss Scaredy Cat is another story. She probably should be riding the short bus, bless her little heart.

proudmomof3cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by hwc

SimpleBlue:
Miss Scaredy Cat is another story. She probably should be riding the short bus, bless her little heart.
I say the same thing about Samba, we also say that if you look hard enough into Samba's eyes you can hear the elevator music!
Our kitties are so entertaining!

Manda

simpleblue

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by hwc

SimpleBlue:

It's cute. I was just poking a little fun at the lady in the video who claimed the clicker was training the cat to do things that any cat in the world would do on its own. I don't know if you could get a cat to stop touching that wand as long as she is waving it around.
a person gave this response to the comment you made:

"True, but can you get your cat to do the same consistently as she does with her cat? That is the key. They are communicating, not just playing.
When was the last time you saw a cat go through an agility course? My cat acting like a cat wouldn't do that"

not to mention that cat could 'sit' or 'lay down' on command. i thought it was quite amazing.

Originally Posted by bal

that is great. I hope when my little guy gets older we can do kitty tricks!!! \t
for sure bal. i don't know what age is the best to start though. perhaps someone here knows.

lmunsie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
simpleblue = I was just wondering how old your kitties are? I'd like to try clicker with mine but they are both 7! so I don't know if that's too old to learn....

simpleblue

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lmunsie

simpleblue = I was just wondering how old your kitties are? I'd like to try clicker with mine but they are both 7! so I don't know if that's too old to learn....
i just have Amy and she's a 1.5 years old. you could always try.