High Heels

baloneysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am going on a business trip in two weeks. Usually my trips, like most business trips, you sit at a table and discuss things. Well, this one is different. I will be on my feet for 8 hours straight. My problem? I love my heels. I usually wear 4-5 inch stiletto shoes. I don’t like that I deal with all these tall men and I am only 5 foot 2, my heels make me feel more empowered.

Anyway, my question… what am I going to do for 8 hours on my feet in heels!! I understand that there are comfortable high-heeled shoes… I just don’t own any! So please help me and let me know what style of shoes would be comfortable? I need to wear the shoes in a business suit so they need to look nice.

I’m not sure if a designer or make would be good since I live in a smaller town and shopping here isn’t that great. So maybe a description? Like I heard a wider heel at the top adds more support for your feet?

Thanks all! I’m really nervous about this… I don’t want to hurt all day.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
As I've gotten older I've had to give up my beloved stilettos. I also am short at 5' 2" like you. I've found I can still get the height I love by wearing platform type shoes. They are much easier on my feet since they don't keep the foot bent at such an angle but can be very flattering. At this old age of mine, the one thing I have left are my good legs which were always my best feature so I refuse to give up that last good thing.

2dogmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know how you feel since I'm 5'4" and have been working with men all my life (I'm in engineering). But I have the wimpiest feet so I couldn't even think of wearing high heels unless I was going to be sitting. And foot surgery ten years ago put an end even to that!
I'm going to be a wet blanket and say to think about your poor feet! If you're not used to standing all day, standing in heels is going to have your feet hurting all night!
If you really want comfy shoes there are those high tech Cole Haan shoes but they are crazy expensive, like $300 a pair!

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
I was going to suggest platforms as well. They look like high heels without feeling like them. Only thing is, you need to practice walking in them before trying to wear them for 8 hours straight. I remember the platform shoes from the 60's-70's, and it's not as easy as you might expect. Think learning to walk on stilts.

tari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Every few months I have to travel to handle logistics for a business meeting. Because I'm in charge of everything I'm typically on my feet for the better part of 14-15 hours a day. (I'm not exaggerating here...usually 6 am to 9 or 10 pm.) They're professional business meetings, so we have to dress up.

I couldn't live at these meetings without my Aerosoles pumps. I have a pair of black pumps with 2-1/2" heels. Sure, they're not high stilletos, but it's enough of a heel to look nice without killing my feet. I paid full price for them at $90 and they were worth every penny. They also go with everything. (I like the platforms idea, too, though. The right pair would also go with everything.)

A couple of tips (learned the hard way)...

Buy your shoes NOW and wear them to the office or someplace else all day at least once before your trip. Sometimes shoes that seem comfortable when you try them on turn out to be uncomfortable after several hours. The last thing you want is to be trapped at a meeting with only your new, uncomfortable shoes to wear.

Also, if your meeting is more than a couple days, bring at least TWO pairs of shoes with different heel heights. The shoes that are comfortable enough to get you through day one tend to get uncomfortable after day three. (This from the woman who once decided to just pack one pair of my most comfortable dress shoes for a seven-day meeting to cut down on luggage. My feet were killing me after day three and I still had four to go...)

Good luck!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by silvionc

my heels make me feel more empowered.
Empowerment comes from the inside, not from a pair of shoes.

My advice to you is to go for comfort and wear a comfy pair of flats.

I gave up on vanity ages ago. My foot health and back health are way more important than gaining an inch or two of false height.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
it if helps, i have showen up to business meeting in sandles lol
however i dont know anything about wearing high heels

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Tari

...I couldn't live at these meetings without my Aerosoles pumps.
I tend to buy Aerosoles, too, for dressy occasions. The last pair I bought are three inch heels but they feel great and don't hurt my feet one bit! I wore them to a wedding this summer and I ended up taking off my nylons (it was hot) and going barelegged and wearing the shoes like that and didn't even get a blister. And my husband and I danced, too, it was a six-hour reception.

There are also insoles you can add to your high heels so your feet don't slide down. Those sound like they'd help but I never tried them.

Hope you figure something out.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know Cole-Haan mades heels using Nike Air technology. I have a pair of their flats with this and they are pricey but comfy.
I bought a pair of 3 1/2 stilettos last week and wore to a wedding where I did alot of standing and after about 90 minutes the balls of my feet were having a burning sensation-eek!! So I had to find a chair and sit down. It helps to find a peep toe style as that will relieve some pressure.

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I am going on a business trip in two weeks. Usually my trips, like most business trips, you sit at a table and discuss things. Well, this one is different. I will be on my feet for 8 hours straight. My problem? I love my heels. I usually wear 4-5 inch stiletto shoes. I donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t like that I deal with all these tall men and I am only 5 foot 2, my heels make me feel more empowered.

Anyway, my question… what am I going to do for 8 hours on my feet in heels!! I understand that there are comfortable high-heeled shoes… I just donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t own any! So please help me and let me know what style of shoes would be comfortable? I need to wear the shoes in a business suit so they need to look nice.

Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]m not sure if a designer or make would be good since I live in a smaller town and shopping here isnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t that great. So maybe a description? Like I heard a wider heel at the top adds more support for your feet?

Thanks all! Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]m really nervous about this… I donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t want to hurt all day.
I love heels. I am 5'3" and I have always worn heels. If you normally wear heels to business, then you need to wear them for this trip.

Some questions. Will be on your feet for 8 hours because you are manning a professional booth at a conference? If so, there is probably a skirted table in front of your feet and the public. The floors may be concrete with no rugs. One of my professional jobs was in product marketing so I am well acquainted with standing on concrete floors for hours.

If this is the case, I would suggest that you have a carpet that you can stand on behind that table. If the facility cannot provide one, bring/buy your own with duct tape.

Bring along comfy socks and put them on during slow times.

Walk around. Walk whenever and wherever you can. When you actually move, you feet start working and you start forgetting that you have feet. If you walk around, you are also not staring at the same thing.

My advice for shoes:

IMO, Stilettos are not really for business unless you are in the fashion/entertainment industry. Read on, anyway

Do not wear platforms. They do not look professional. They may also not be as comfortable as other shoes.

Wear classic pumps. These are the ones that have just 2 1/2" heels and are just plain. You can get them in any color but a silver or gold pair (or whatever the names for these colors are) are great because either will go with any suit. Liz Claiborne, Easy Spirit, etc. do make comfortable pumps and they are usually reasonably priced.

Definitely, wear them before you go. This means putting them on when you leave your office so that they hit pavement. Do not take them off until you go to bed.

Practice holding (tilting) your head a bit higher to compensate for the height difference between your pumps and stilettos. The goal is to make your eyes meet with the eyes of your colleagues at that comfortable spot.

Good luck!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
well, Crocs is now making a 'high heel' line... i wouldn't wear them, but not because of looks. you might look & see if any of them would work for you: Crocs heels

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by butzie

Do not wear platforms. They do not look professional. They may also not be as comfortable as other shoes.
I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one Butzie. I have some pretty sexy looking platform sandals and open toed shoes.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This may sound crazy, but if you have a bridal shop in your town, ask them if they can recommend a brand or type. I hate wearing high heels but I did for my wedding and they were the most comfortable pair of heels I ever had! They had extra cushioning for the heels and the balls of the feet and were ment for standing for long periods. I got mine at Alfred Angelos but I don't kow if they were a brand made only for them or not (I can't even check because the cats destroyed them while we were on the honeymoon.
). I know you don't want dye-able shoes, but they may have a line that isn't satin, or may be able to recommend a brand similar from another store.

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a similar problem in that I now have a job which means being on me feet all day, plus I have to walk to and from work. I'm barely 5ft tall so really need a bit of height from my shoes but the heels I was wearing (that had previously been comfy) were agony after a day of standing and walking. I finally found a solution with a pair of dr martens wedge heels. They are incredibly comfortable. A wedge supports your feet in a way that a stiletto heel can't. Go for a broad heel or wedge, and a thick (preferably air cushioned) sole.

wildfire203

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Empowerment comes from the inside, not from a pair of shoes.

My advice to you is to go for comfort and wear a comfy pair of flats.

I gave up on vanity ages ago. My foot health and back health are way more important than gaining an inch or two of false height.
I have to agree with Natalie
I'm 5ft and I have never worn high heel except to a dance and then I just took them off. I work in the military so I can't wear high heels even if I wanted to, but I've never had a problem with feeling empowered I even intimidate a few ppls much taller then me. IMHP you should think about a pair of comfy flats and save your feet.

juliejerks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Dr Scholl's has a line of very comfortable, and good looking shoes.
Aerosoles are also built for comfort.
I'm a fan of a brand called Seychelles, their shoes very comfortable compared to most others, although some of their styles look a bit weird.
And just overall a wedge heel will always be more comfortable than a regular heel. As far as regular heels go; the thicker it is, the more comfortable it's going to be.

lsanders

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't know if you're wearing suits with pants or skirts, but if it's pants, Dansko clogs are the way to go. I job I had a couple of years ago had an annual convention and we'd be on our feet all day. Unless it was one of the evening, dressier events, I'd wear a suit with pants and my Danskos. They do give you a little height (I'm 5'4"). They're not particularly cute or anything (though you can get them in cute colors), but they kinda blend into any outfit and they're so comfortable.

Actually, I was trying to find the pair I have on Zappos.com (these are the ones I have) and it looks like they do make all sorts of other styles! I'm sure they're also designed to be comfortable, too, so I'd highly recommend them!

They're a little expensive, but worth every cent!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

baloneysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks all! I am going to go and check out shoes today. You guys all had very good ideas! The problem is I donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t have much of a choice. My town doesnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t have too many places to shop. I am pretty open to all types of shoes. I mentioned stilettos just because they are my current shoes of choice. I have been wearing mostly knee length skirts and I like the look of a high, stiletto boot with them. All my other pair of shoes are mostly pumps… but still …. Like 4-5 inches.

I am thinking of going for wedged heel. Most of my summer sandals are wedged heel (again, very high) but I can run a marathon in those LOL. Totally forgot how comfy those are. Ill get a lower heel, I honestly donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t care not what they look like now as I will be wearing pants. Right now I just want a high heeled, black, dressy looking enough for business wear.

I donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t think I will stop wearing heels. I love my heels. I have never felt uncomfortable, or had my feet hurt before. Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]m just concerned that being on my feet for so long will be too much.

Thanks for the advice guys, you guys are the best!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Thanks all! I am going to go and check out shoes today. You guys all had very good ideas! The problem is I don’t have much of a choice. My town doesn’t have too many places to shop. I am pretty open to all types of shoes. I mentioned stilettos just because they are my current shoes of choice. I have been wearing mostly knee length skirts and I like the look of a high, stiletto boot with them. All my other pair of shoes are mostly pumps… but still …. Like 4-5 inches.

I am thinking of going for wedged heel. Most of my summer sandals are wedged heel (again, very high) but I can run a marathon in those LOL. Totally forgot how comfy those are. Ill get a lower heel, I honestly don’t care not what they look like now as I will be wearing pants. Right now I just want a high heeled, black, dressy looking enough for business wear.

I don’t think I will stop wearing heels. I love my heels. I have never felt uncomfortable, or had my feet hurt before. I’m just concerned that being on my feet for so long will be too much.

Thanks for the advice guys, you guys are the best!
Sounds like you have it well in hand. I agree with you, I've always worn heels and honestly if I wear low shoes for very long my calves start to hurt. Like you I can run easily in high heels so it's not problem.

I don't wear them for any kind of self-esteem problem, I just like the way they make a woman's leg look good.