TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › TCS Education Poll!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

TCS Education Poll! - Page 2

post #31 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldyCat View Post
It depends on the field. My sister went directly from a BS to a PhD in chemistry. If you have a specific program in mind, you could ask about the requirements.
It would be in history, I need to check on it.
post #32 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Essayons89 View Post
Right now I'm working on my AA at Cincinnati State Technical and Community College. Afterwards, it's on to NKU to work on BA (History) and then a Masters and PHD. At least that's the plan. Do you have to earn a masters before you can earn a phd?
You don't necessarily have to have a Masters. Not in Australia anyway... The requirements for a PhD program in Australia are generally this:

Applicants would normally hold: a Bachelors degree with at least 2A Honours (or equivalent) or a Master degree by research or a Master degree by coursework that included substantial research or have satisfactorily completed a PhD qualifying program in their chosen area of study.
post #33 of 51
I'm working on a technical degree for automotive technology, although I'm not sure whether or not I'll keep following it when I return to school next year. I enjoy my current job, and that has nothing at all to do with it! I'm a lab technician at an environmental chem lab, so I've been thinking about pursuing a degree in science now.
post #34 of 51
I have a BA cum laude in psychology and distinction in all subjects from Cornell University. I use those exact words because I had to do 2 years of research, write a thesis on my research, and defend the thesis in order to get those words on my diploma. They still mean a great deal to me.

I then got a Masters of Business Administration from the University of Michigan. My major was in management information systems with a finance minor.

I spent my professional career working with management information systems. I just traded human memory for computer memory.

BTW, in my professional career in systems, I came across a customer with the same last name as my undergrad honors professor who is Dr. Ulric Neisser. Turns out the customer is his brother. Go figure.
post #35 of 51
I have a BA in English, which I have done nothing with. (yeah, by my posts, I bet you couldn't guess I majored in English! ) I picked that because I love to read and write and needed to declare a major. I would love to go back to school but not for a Masters. I would want to do a short specialized course that would train me for one particular thing (ie, vet assistant, legal assistant, etc). I just don't know what I want to be when I grow up!
post #36 of 51
cum laude

Ah I forgot all about those classifications! What ever the top one is I had that. I graduated with a 3.8 undergrad and a 3.9 for my graduate work. But if you ask me to do calculus I can't help you!
post #37 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by calico2222 View Post
I have a BA in English, which I have done nothing with. (yeah, by my posts, I bet you couldn't guess I majored in English! ) I picked that because I love to read and write and needed to declare a major. I would love to go back to school but not for a Masters. I would want to do a short specialized course that would train me for one particular thing (ie, vet assistant, legal assistant, etc). I just don't know what I want to be when I grow up!
ever seen this? What Do You Do With A B.A. In English?
post #38 of 51
I have my AS in nursing and my BS in nursing. Next year, I think I am going to start on my Master's in nursing. I just can't decide what track to take-- administration, education, something else all together .
post #39 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by peachytoday View Post
Great poll. I received my bachelors degree in accounting from the University of Maryland.

Me too!

Working on a MS right now.
post #40 of 51
I think I have the canadian Equivalent of an AA/AS Degree which is a 2 year college degree. I have mine in Archives and Records management from Algonquin and a Partial Degree in Collections Conservation management from Sir. Sanford Flemming
post #41 of 51
I got my bachelor of science degree in poultry science from Texas A&M University-College Station in August of 2006. I just received my Master's of Public Health degree with an emphasis in environmental and occupational health and safety from the Texas A&M University School of Rural and Public Health in August of 2008. Whew I'm glad to be done. For a while there I was taking summer school every summer plus classes every semester. I was so burned out by the time I was finished with both degrees.
post #42 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momofmany View Post
Go figure this one out. I'm a college drop out with a Master's Certificate in Business Planning. I've been invited to teach at colleges in spite of the fact that I've never made it thru one. I put myself down as "other". I guess I might have qualified for the Technical Degree.
I didn't drop out, I just took a lot of breaks to work to earn money along the way, but I have a B.A. (4 year college degree in U.S.). I did not attend a traditional college, so none of that "laude" stuff for me - but I did have to write and defend a thesis in order to graduate. They only offered B.A.s, but my major was Economics and minors were Political Economy and Cultural (Social) Studies. I spent three years living overseas in order to earn the degree.

However, I put myself down as "other" also, because I'm a Chartered Financial Analyst (C.F.A.) which is actually a 3-year "post-graduate" program. It's not the same as a Masters in Business, it's technically a professional designation and a professional association - but you have to be employed in the industry to qualify to enroll in the program to begin with.

Laurie
post #43 of 51
Thread Starter 
Wow!!! We've actually got quite a few highly educated people! I always wondered what sorts of educations we all had! Even PH.Ds!!!!!! I couldn't do it! I plan to get a Masters in Social Work someday, but Ph.D....yikes...


Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtigress View Post
Got my B.S. from Texas A&M in Biomedical Science a few years back, and now I'm working on my Ph.D in Genetics - I'll hopefully officially be a Ph.D candidate in about a month's time!

Afterwards, I'm hoping to get my MS in genetic counseling. The two schools I'm looking at so far are Boston University (my first choice) and U.T. Medical Center in Houston. I still have a loooot of school left.

I think you did a pretty good job on the poll!
Ph.D!!!!! To you!

Thanks! I was hoping to get everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport View Post
Went to the University of Rhode Island for 2 years.....then ran out of money and had to drop out. Got a job as a restaurant manager.....had an accident, became permanently disabled, and here I am .

Rob
Well at least you are here with us Rob!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CATTYBIRD View Post
I have a CERTIFICATE OF ATTENDANCE IN High School. Since I was a "Special" student I did not take all the courses.
That's pretty good! I've never heard of one of those!?! Kind of like those black ribbons they sometimes give out in competitions for participation I've gotten one of those


Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylacat View Post
I'm working on getting my G.E.D. I dropped out of school in the 9th grade....one of my worst mistakes.

Stay in school kids!
Stay in school....

My mom got her G.E.D. and she's a nurse now, I'm super proud of her! There's nothing wrong with a G.E.D. Although, I did forget to put that in the poll!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tara & Rob View Post
I'm working on a technical degree for automotive technology, although I'm not sure whether or not I'll keep following it when I return to school next year. I enjoy my current job, and that has nothing at all to do with it! I'm a lab technician at an environmental chem lab, so I've been thinking about pursuing a degree in science now.
Hey that's cool! My SO has a that degree. He doesn't use it Graduated started working with cars, decided he hated it and works with corn, researching genetics

They should make everyone intern their first year of school in whatever they what to study!

Good luck with your goals!
post #44 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnzoLeya View Post
Don't feel obligated to tell us which option you chose.
Since this was a former KatKwiz question I just wanted to remind people when they create a poll, they have the option of identifying the voters. On a poll like this, you did the right thing on NOT identifying the voters because I believe many would not respond if identified.
post #45 of 51
I guess mine would be considered a technical degree. After graduating from high school, I wasn't sure what I wanted to do. I got a job at Wendy's for about 2 years. After that, I left and went to work at Jeanerette Mills, which was a Fruit of the Loom factory. I sewed the sleeves into t-shirts. Hated it! It was during my almost 2 year tenure there that my sister-in-law suggested that I go to trade school for drafting. I said, "what's drafting?" I looked into it, took the entrance exam, and never looked back. I've been doing design/drafting work for almost 16 years now.
post #46 of 51
I have an AA in accounting but do not use it.. The only portion of my studies that has been beneficial was the office procedures and typing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieC View Post
It was during my almost 2 year tenure there that my sister-in-law suggested that I go to trade school for drafting. I said, "what's drafting?" I looked into it, took the entrance exam, and never looked back. I've been doing design/drafting work for almost 16 years now.
After I graduated with my AA I went to work at an Engineering firm. We did the engineering for houses and also designed houses. When my boss fired the draftsman, I took it upon myself to learn AutoCad. I drew an apartment complex design and a house design. I walked through both the apartments and house after they were finished. DH was impressed as was I. I kept thinking "I drew this??" It is rewarding to see your works fruitation
post #47 of 51
i put myself down as other as i have just a handful of A Levels that i got at college and i didnt want and couldnt afford uni so i just got a job, but now i have the startings of my health and safety qualifications
post #48 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Essayons89 View Post
Right now I'm working on my AA at Cincinnati State Technical and Community College. Afterwards, it's on to NKU to work on BA (History) and then a Masters and PHD. At least that's the plan. Do you have to earn a masters before you can earn a phd?
Others have given you good advice. If you want a PhD, look around for PhD programs that interest you. What you choose will be very much contingent on what subjects you are interested in. For a PhD program, you should be looking for a school that has a collection of professors that do work that is interesting to you. When applying to most schools, you are actually applying to work with a particular person, so you'd better like both the research interests and personality of someone at the school you apply to. If the school has lots of people who share research interests with you, you'll be more likely to be able to work with a person who you get along with. (You can usually change professors once you're enrolled in a particular program, but if you decide to go somewhere else you have to apply again and probably throw out all of your course work.) Having your sponsor be someone you can work with is really important.

Departments that require you to have a master's degree before you apply to the PhD program will accept you as a master's student. You'll earn your master's degree, and then apply (and be very, very likely to be accepted) into the PhD program. My spouse planned to get his history PhD from one University, but ended up not getting along with his sponsor, and also ended up changing the field he was interested in working on. So he's getting his PhD from a different school.

I'm in a direct to PhD program, and I actually kinda wish I had been in a master's first program, because at this point I think I really only want a master's, but here I am, trying hard to get my PhD.

You don't need to be particularly smart to get a PhD; you just need to be self-directed. You need to be able to do huge amounts of work just because you say so, not because anyone else says so, and you need to be able to find the questions you want to answer yourself. You should only get a PhD if you need one to have the career you want. Because it's really hard to be so self-directed, I don't know a single PhD student who doesn't hate their "job" at least some of the time. Just because you are smart or good at taking classes does not mean that you will be a good PhD student. In fact, I sometimes wonder if undergrad classes aren't the worst possible preparation in order to get a PhD.
post #49 of 51
B.S. in Cell Molecular Bio. from the University of MI.

Now, working on a Master's in Biotechnology and Bioinformatics at Texas Tech University. I got into the PhD program, but declined it. I might be nuts, but that's just wayyyy too much school for me!

After this, I'm going to go work probably in the industrial pharmaceuticals/biotech sectors. I do plan to head back into school shortly after pursuing an MBA. Then, hopefully no more school....ever!
post #50 of 51
I've been taking courses my entire life...............most through work after university. So probably equivalent to whatever.......doctorate? All I know is that I teach courses to people that have their doctorates, plus supervise,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but Canada is different.
post #51 of 51
Glad to see I'm part of the college grads 27.27%.
I'm a BA major in Business Admin.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › TCS Education Poll!