Raw chicken legs, wings and thighs?

althekitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hello, I have decided that I want to put my kitty on a raw food diet. I want to ease him in gently so at the mo he has been gettinga little dry food James wellbeloved, some pouches of wet, hi-life, natures menu or tesco luxury. I have also been buying chicken legs, wings and thighs. Thing is, I have been cutting the meat off the bone as I am too scared to give him the bone!!! What if the bone was jagged or rough, would it cut his mouth? Do you just put like the whole thigh down or do you try to break the bone? Would he know what to do with it? Would he know that it was sharp, that he could choke? Am I being silly here or should I be concerned? I thought about it when I was looking at grinders for the meat that I will eventually get and that is when someone said I should be careful with jagged bones! Advice would be great.

pee-cleaner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We use chicken necks. I cut a neck into about 4 chunks and put that down. The vertebrae are more bite sized, no jagged bones.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
chicken or turkey necks are usually recommended for cats and small dogs

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

althekitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

Raw bones are not a worry but cooked bones can splinter so no cooked bones please.
I am giving raw as I want to do the whole thing raw, just easinging in gently. So, would you say that a thigh or wing would be okay? Or are necks deemed the best? Would it be bad if i gave him thighs or wings? Thanks again

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Althekitty

I am giving raw as I want to do the whole thing raw, just easinging in gently. So, would you say that a thigh or wing would be okay? Or are necks deemed the best? Would it be bad if i gave him thighs or wings? Thanks again
I would follow Sharky's advice since she is our food guru. I was basically just cautioning you not to give any cooked bones. Sharky says necks are the best then that's what I would do and not even bother with thighs or wings. Besides my husband would cry if I gave the cats thighs - those are his favourite and he loves Buffalo style wings and I honestly would hate to see a grown man cry.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

althekitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Chicken necks it is then!! Ummm yum proper buffalo style wings!! Yummy. Necks for the boy then and sharky a food guru
Brilliant!!!

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can crush up the neck with a mallot, to make the bones easier to eat at first. Mine have been on raw and bones their entire lives now all aged 1 they eat necks, wings, thighs, chops, cutlets.

Also there's no need to buy a grinder, chunks of meat are much better for them than ground.