Rose bush question?

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was given a rose bush by some friends after my youngest brother died in June. I havent planted it still, and the weather here in the UK is getting colder, so can i still plant it or should i bring it inside until the spring?

tab

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i think i would keep it inside. it is getting pretty chilly at night now and it would be a terrible shame if it didn't last.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What are your nighttime temps currently?? Do you get down below 4C and if you do when??
What cultivar of rose is it?? Is it a hybrid tea, floribunda, grandiflora or shrub rose??
Do you ever have to winter protect roses??

The easiest thing to do is find an empty spot somewhere in your garden dig a hole to accomodate the pot and sink the entire pot so the top of the pot is just at ground level.
When if temps fall below 0C you could mulch the top of the pot. I would place a couple of stakes on either side of the pot so when you did up in spring (when ground can be worked) you know where the pot is and do not hit it with a shovel. You have all winter to decide were to plant it. Don't fertilize this year either.

I have many perennials that I didn't plant this year and this weekend I will be digging my holes and doing the same thing. Of course our temps get quite a bit colder!! I've done this technique for years and it works well.

You can check out ars.org for more tips perhaps the UK has a similar society. Or check out the RHS website too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by GailC

What are your nighttime temps currently?? Do you get down below 4C and if you do when??
At the moment no, but it's down to 6C now

What cultivar of rose is it?? Is it a hybrid tea, floribunda, grandiflora or shrub rose??
Oh now your asking?
All i know is it's a climber

Do you ever have to winter protect roses??
No, the ones i have in the ground already are fine in the winter

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Gail certainly knows more than most of us I'm sure. I have 2 climbers on my arbor and they certainly don't need winter protection - they are so robust that I have to keep trimming them from spring until late fall. Having said that, if the rose has been inside all this time, it may not adjust to the cooler temperatures that are fast approaching us in this northern hemisphere.

If it were me, and the rose has been inside, I would probably keep it in that lovely conservatory you have over the winter and plant it in the spring.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

If it were me, and the rose has been inside, I would probably keep it in that lovely conservatory you have over the winter and plant it in the spring.
It's been in it's pot outside

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My mom taught me to cover the "bud union". That is the bulb-like nob at the base of the bush close to the ground. If you cover the plant with mulch as Gail suggests, make sure you cover the bud union completely.

The bud union is where the plant builds all of its nutrients used to form the flowers. Any stem that grows below the bud union is considered a sucker and will never produce flowers. Always prune those stems off the bush. So if you do nothing else, protect the bud union or the plant will never give you flowers.

And the last of my knowledge for rose bushes. When you do finally plant it, the height of the bud union over the level of the soil is based on your climate zone. The colder it gets in the winter, the closer you plant it to the ground. In Chicago for example, we planted it with the base of the bud union on top of the soil. In Houston, we planted it about 3-4 inches above the soil. My guess is that the U.K. is somewhere in the middle. A local nursery should be able to explain what is best for your climate.

sport

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Rose bushes, like many other plants, need the cold of the winter months to thrive in the spring and summer. It is best to have your rose bushes planted outside, and trimmed back for the winter.

Rob