RIP poor stray kitty "Socks"

meowqueensdaddy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Last week, as I was getting ready to go to work, on the one day of the week that I actually had to work in the morning, I saw a stray cat get hit by a car, right in front of my home. The poor thing crawled under my car, screaming in pain; she looked like she had a broken leg, and maybe a crushed pelvis. My SO had already left for school/work, so I called a good friend of mine who lives nearby. She called the local animal control folks for me, while I kept an eye on the stray, and came out to help me. Fortunately, I'd been planning to leave extra, uber crazy early in the morning, so I had time to stay and do what I could.

In the hour that it took for animal control to show up, we sat with the kitty I'll always remember as "Socks" (she was a grey tabby with white feet). She cried a lot, but managed to sit mostly still while we covered her with one of my spare jackets to try to keep her warm. My friend even managed to stroke Socks a bit... yeah, we know, it's a bad idea to try to touch an injured cat, especially a potentially feral one, but Socks was receptive and not aggressive at all.

It was hard to tell if she had a people family... she had no collar. She also pooped on the sidewalk, and it was pretty clear she had worms. But she seemed used to people, and very friendly... sadly, it's a description of far too many stray cats in my neighborhood. Just before animal control showed up, Socks crawled into the open carrier that I'd placed nearby...

We called in later to find out what happened. It turned out that her pelvis had been crushed, both back legs broken, and had lots of internal injuries and bleeding. The animal control people had to put her to sleep.

It was a really painful experience. I don't know what else I could have done, short of taking Socks to an ER myself... and even then, I don't know that they could have done anything more for her, since she was so badly injured. She was a beautiful young cat, and she left the world far too soon.

The same afternoon, we took in a young stray who we'd been socializing with in the garden: http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/cat...cat&catid=1634... I couldn't bear the thought of finding him dead on the side of the road, and he's a real sweetheart.

RIP Socks... I'll always remember you, even if nobody else will.

babywukong

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is a tragedy. Bless you for remembering this poor sweet stray, and for trying to help her.

Rest in Peace, Socks

tab

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i saw a similar thing happen when a cat was chased by another cat straight under a car. she died straight away and it haunted me for a long time, the poor soul. she was a neighbours cat and seeing them running over (they had heard the screech of brakes) was so heartbreaking.

socks would have been so grateful for your help and concern. you changed her from a stray to a loved cat in those moments you spent with her.

and bless you for taking in the little stray from your garden.

RIP little one, safe and happy across the bridge.

brokenheart

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
RIP, Socks. You are being thought of, sweet girl, and missed even though we didn't get to know you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

meowqueensdaddy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks to you all for the kind words. For some reason, that experience has been really hard for me to get over. Sometimes, I felt silly, shedding tears over a stray that I didn't know. But there it is... I love cats. I did everything I could do for Socks, and I'm just glad that I helped to make her last moments on earth less horrible and lonely.

Now for some more positive news: Zero, the little tuxedo kitten we adopted that afternoon, is doing very well. There are a couple of small medical issues; he has an annoying upper respiratory infection and some slight gingivitis... he's at the Benicia Cat Clinic right now to be neutered, and they're going to test him for bartonella, since we've had him on antibiotics for a week for his gums and nose, and we might need to be giving him a different drug than what he's on. He's a cuddle-monster when he's not in über play-attack mode, and I'm very happy to have taken him in. We're still introducing him to our other kitty, who he's mortally afraid of,
but I have high hopes, since they're both total sweet-hearts.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bless you for taking the time to give Socks comfort and love during her final hours here on Earth. She left this world knowing that she was loved, and had a name, and, even though temporary, was a member of a human family. She is pain-free and playing happily over RB, and IMO, little Zero was Heaven-sent to reward you for your good care of Socks. Please let it be a sign to you that Socks is okay now

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by catsknowme

Bless you for taking the time to give Socks comfort and love during her final hours here on Earth. She left this world knowing that she was loved, and had a name, and, even though temporary, was a member of a human family. She is pain-free and playing happily over RB, and IMO, little Zero was Heaven-sent to reward you for your good care of Socks. Please let it be a sign to you that Socks is okay now
couldn't have said it better.

RIP sweet Socks
and
to you.