TICA show this weekend

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm heading out for the Florida show tomorrow. Teri can't go this time as we don't have a cat sitter. Rome will have his last showing in Kitten class at 7 months of age and Runner will have another showing in Alter class to see if we can get him a bunch more points for a 2008 regional win.
I had planned to take Cha Cha as well, but have decided against it because showing cats is supposed to be fun, not stressful. 3 cats in 3 different classes will have me running all day. No thanks!

I'll do my best to get cat show pics this time, of all the different breeds.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good luck. If there are any Oci's there, be sure to get a picture
You DO know how to tell the difference between them and Bengals, don't you ?

ferriscat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Every time I try to run the three-class gauntlet, I wind up getting too many second and third calls for my taste.

Good luck to you and the team!

starfish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
hey, Nial, I saw your car (I recognized the Meridian Bengals logo). You must be stay very close to us!

we got here very late (almost midnight) I had this crazy idea of showing up for work for most of a day and driving right after. I only stopped by the house to get the cat and the rest of our goodies.

starfish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
interesting show. Luna got 3 finals and I know Nial's cats got some, but I didn't keep track how much. Also, we left early today because something (or things) made Luna very upset. She escaped two times from her cage and once from the show ring (it took a few minutes to recover her). I was shaky myself after her final escapade.

Thanks again to Nial for watching Luna earlier today for me, while Mom and I stepped out for Sunday worship. Apologies again also for Luna being such a bad kitty while we were gone. Cats are such ungrateful animals. Nial did the favor of covering for me and Luna was so not a nice kitty to him.

I also was sick during the trip. A cold started up on Friday before the trip, but it was too late to cancel, so I went anyway after work. Traffic and weather didn't cooperate and since I'm the one who drives when it gets dark, I ended up doing most of the driving, which caused us to get there late, which led us to get very little sleep that night, which in turn made for a very long Saturday.

The good part is that Luna finally won best cat in her 5th ring of the day. I was thrown off because she was losing the entire day until then and combined with my cold, I was REALLY confused
. My head was too foggy to fully absorb the win.
It gets better - the last ring, she actually swatted at the judge as she got put back in the cage and wins fourth.

Her attitude ceased to be funny after today's antics. It kinda made for a sad ending to a productive show, but I asked the show manager if I could leave. I felt so sad about the whole situation. She was perfectly fine (talkative too) in the first ring before I left her and when I came back it seemed that she suddenly made a 180 in her attitude. Apparently, the stress of her escapes and the cat benched next to her (which she apparently didn't like for some reason) made her very unhappy.

It was certainly a roller coaster of a show, but I just hope that Luna's behavior at the show hall was only temporary. I miss the kitty that made finals because of her sweetness.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It happens to all of us. Last show we were at there was a manx cat (remember no tail on them) who was getting upset in the rings and threatening to bite. Unfortunately the cat "escaped" the judging ring TWICE and took off in the show hall at top speed. The judge apoligized for not having control, but when a cat is upset and ready to bite, you don't want your fingers in the way and the owner was slow to get up to the judging table to stop it.

In the same show, an aby kitten pushed against the cage door in the ring and it swung open. He proceeded to take a walk under the judges table! But at least he was not in a panic

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lianna I enjoyed seeing you again. I'm sorry Luna got a bit out of sorts and acted up. I tried to handle her delicately and sweet talk her, but she didn't know me and wasn't buying my lines.
She escaped from her benching area twice while you and your mom were away, and I heard from an exhibtor near you that she was difficult to catch.
She was obviously stressed to the max by all of this, so I can't say I'm surprised that she lashed out.
Try her again at the next show. Hopefully it was just one of those things.

But if she doesn't like it anymore, then she doesn't like it. In that case it's in her best interests and yours not to continue on.

I learned early on, no matter how sweet your cat is at home and no matter how beautiful he/she is, if they don't like the showhall anymore, it's time to let them be a homebody.

starfish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
thanks. The only other time I witnessed her show attitude was last month when we went for a day trip to Cattyshack and she was a tad grumpy maybe because we left at 5 in the morning. And then of course, she was a tad jumpy on Sunday. She was excited and acted like she wanted to run around, but not in a bad way. She just seemed hyper. But then I heard about her escapades and when I came back she was in a different mood.

Also, there was the vet visits. She has been to the vet at least four times between Atlanta in late March and Cattyshack last month because of output issues
. I took her to Cattyshack because she seemed to be healthy. But then the weekend before this one, she was hurting herself again with the scratching (not due to fleas or the like), so I took her for another cortisone shot. There are dogs in the same waiting area and she has been increasing angry at each visit. I just went by there today (I had to pick up pet food anyway) to ask them what I can do to help since she's due for a check-up (the vet wants to do more to see what's the underlying cause) and they suggested benadryl. I really am concerned that she is getting a bad association from being around the dogs. So I hope this helps. I am also considering trying to find an cat only clinic in the area, but so far have found none in the phone book.

It would be a shame if she didn't return back to her usual self (she didn't use to act like this at the show hall) because she either just earned her supreme or is very, very close. I just am trying to figure out how to calculate her points for her title since the last two shows have had much less than 25 HHPs.

Nial, I just want you to know that I believe you did your best with Luna. You have more experience with cats than I ever probably will in my lifetime with all those kitties you handle. I will just have to see at least once more to see if she can get over it and be back to herself. The next two shows we planned to go to are in Raleigh, so if she's not happy, we're not far from home. Also, she's always been such a good cat at the Raleigh shows, so maybe the familiar show hall will be better for her.

P.S. Maybe when my uncle gets around to buying another cat (I know he's considering it), he will get one of your Bengals. He's really interested in the Bengals
. Mom and I mentioned if he does, we may show it for him

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try a few drops on her tongue of the Bach's Remedy. That usually works. I think you give it an hour or two before showing. It really helped our friend's rex. He had a very bad experience in the showhall as a kitten and you could not get him near the ring before he would stress/freak out. We worked some with him at the show (after the show) regarding cages/treats. I handled him like a judge would, and hubby even volunteered to be a "judge"

He was relaxed enough to get a few finals including the one to GRAND

starfish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Try a few drops on her tongue of the Bach's Remedy. That usually works. I think you give it an hour or two before showing. It really helped our friend's rex. He had a very bad experience in the showhall as a kitten and you could not get him near the ring before he would stress/freak out. We worked some with him at the show (after the show) regarding cages/treats. I handled him like a judge would, and hubby even volunteered to be a "judge"

He was relaxed enough to get a few finals including the one to GRAND
thank you, the benadryl is intended only to help her with the vet (I didn't want to leave you with the impression that I was going to drug her with the stuff to show) so that she can be reconditioned to enjoy traveling again. But of course, your recommendation sounds like a great idea, since my goal is trying to get Luna back to what she was before all the recent vet and other recent stress, instead of drug Luna (a la benadryl) for my personal gain. Now my question is - where can I get this Bach's remedy?

starfish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
thank you

Luna's vet visit went like the last time - crappy.

She got especially upset when they took the stool sample - she was due to get checked for her itching, but since last night she's been having some really bad diarrhea and some vomiting, so I had no choice but to get her treatment

I expressed my concerns with the vet. To make a long story short, she has antibiotics and another appointment to check up on the diarrhea, but because of her recent displeasure at the vets, the vet and I agreed that bringing her back won't be necessary unless she's not better by next week. She may have irritable bowel syndrome. I really think she is being traumatized by the vet visits. She gets worse each time she goes to the vet. I am having a hard time trying to find a cat only vet.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have any vets that do house calls? Wonder if that will make it better or worse. Its sad when the cat has to keep going to the vets - it kinda ruins them for anything to do with travelling in a car!

starfish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'll look into that. Also, I am going to have to take her for more car rides to recondition her. I will either take her to Raleigh or take Chloe instead, who now lives back with my uncle (he just moved out of our house and it wasn't in our best interests to keep her anyway - she and Luna hate each other).