Yesterday's News Litter Maintenance Questions

katgoddess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Due to my dog's recently diagnosed allergies to dust, I have changed my cat's litter from clumping clay to Yesterday's News.

Maybe it's too dark in my suite, but I can never tell the exact spots where he's urinated to scoop out the wet pieces. Does anyone have any tips for me?

Also, his litter box is a big storage container. With this type of litter, how often should I change out the entire box and clean it? If money wasn't an issue, I'd probably dump everything and wash it daily, but...impossible to do right now.

Thanks!

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We use that and change it twice a week.
We clean scoop it everyday.
We started using it because of Cocos Asthma.
When they pee it is darker.
We have used it for years.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katgoddess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mews2much

We use that and change it twice a week.
We clean scoop it everyday.
We started using it because of Cocos Asthma.
When they pee it is darker.
We have used it for years.
Thank you.

Then it must be too dim in here to see the darker pieces. Or maybe I put in too much since I read on their site the urine is soaked from the bottom...so I'm not seeing the wet/dark spots from the top.

How many inches do you use?

Lastly, may I ask what kind of litter boxes you use? Does it get kicked out often? (I'm thinking that eventually, I'd like to get a smaller litter box so I can afford to dump and change the entire box twice a week, too.)

Thanks again!

proudmamiof4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use this for my cats and I really like it!I scoop the litter 2 times a day (morning and night) and empty and clean it out completly 2 times a week (3 different litter boxes) another plus is that it is not dangerouse (like clumping and scented litters can be) if you have a curious cat that eats the litter.

happilyretired

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I used Yesterday's News when my senior cat was recovering from surgery on her paw, and continued with it for the next several years until she left me. However, I used a shallow pan for a litter box (vet's advice) because she had a spinal injury and the deep boxes were too difficult for her. Nevertheless, it took half the large bag to fill. I scooped only the poop and changed the litter completely every other day. That worked well. My girl was always finicky about her box, and she never complained. I don't think you can scoop the urine effectively with this type of litter.

enuja

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I found that the shallower I could make the litter, the better, because a deep layer ended up having unscoopable, undryable urine wetness at the bottom. Very gross.

If you get to the box soon after a cat uses it, you can sometimes notice a wet spot and scoop it out, but it's nothing like using a scoopable litter. The wet pieces swell up, so they are somewhat larger and less dense. As I remember, they don't exactly look darker ... they just look wetter.

I changed the box about every week. It should be okay, especially if you use a thin layer. That way it will air out a bit better, and you'll be more comfortable with changing the box more often, because you are throwing out less litter.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We use the wood stove pellets - easy to see where they use them. I agree that the newspaper one is harder to tell. How much is the pellets breaking down on the News one?