Not again

kaete

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
After a lovely evening yesterday, Jess and I got home around 10:30pm. The first thing I noticed was that the living room window was open and the screen was not in it. Our roommate was sitting in the living room, so I assumed that he did that and had been keeping an eye on it.

To make a long story short, he apparently didn't know that the screen was out (what?! idiot!), and he didn't, apparently, notice that Carl had, at some point, gone out the window!

I WAS LIVID.

It's one thing to open a door for a second and have the cat bolt out, especially when he's never done it before... which is what happened the first time. But he now has a history of escaping. And to sit there for God knows how long with the screen out, the window wide open, and to not notice a kitten going out the window? He didn't even notice that he was gone until we got home and immediately checked. Thank GOD Pants was still inside.

I chewed him out big time for being so irresponsible. And I don't even feel bad about it.

So I did what I did last time... I shut Pants in the bathroom, opened the window a bit, and put the food near, hoping we'd have a repeat performance. Around 1:20am, I hear Carl's little trill, and he jumped into bed with us. Thank God. I got up to shut the window and let Pants out of the bathroom (he was NOT happy about being shut up in there).

So, luckily, this story has a happy ending.... but boy was I mad

So glad said roommate is moving out in a couple of weeks. Ha.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by kaete

I chewed him out big time for being so irresponsible. And I don't even feel bad about it.
I wouldn't feel bad either, because i would have been the same way with him

Thank goodness Carls back inside safe and sound

tab

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i started reading this with increasing worry until seeing that carl had come home.

what an absolute nightmare for you both but thank goodness for another happy ending.

i was talking to a friend recently about the difference between those of us who are completely switched on to making sure windows, doors etc are closed and those who maybe not deliberately, just don't think about the dangers.

my son (aged 17) keeps leaving the bathroom window open. the same window milo fell out of a few weeks ago. i have told him time and time again to shut the door or make sure the windows are closed. he loves the cats and i know he would be devastated if anything happened, but he just doesn't think.

it's so frustrating and worrying but i'm glad your 'problem' will be leaving shortly. mine however, is a long term thing.

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad Carl came home! Ugh that would be so frustrating if someone was that careless!

Nero is indoor only, mainly because we dont want him to get hit like Monte, and because he is all black and even harder to see at night. We take him outside on his harness and leash. He had been getting outside through Rob's parents' screen in their room .... how they didn't see the massive hole in the screen above their bed is beyond me. Luckily Nero only stayed on the ledge - he was too afraid to jump down even though it's only a 1-story house. I guess they keep the window closed now (havent been in there).

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
my mom and dad got an earful when they were over one time because you have to pull my screen door shut and of course they forgot to do that...well, Hades saw his opportunity and was gone for 4 days

Glad Carl knew where home was!

kittyl0ve4

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am glad that Carl is home, safe and sound. Mine are indoor only, i live on a main highway and we have lost a cat to that highway in the past and i could never live with myself if something happened to my babies. But Monster has an escape history too, he has gotten out many times in the past, one being a whole day thing, luckily he was found by someone and returned. He continues to try to get out.

The other morning, my bfs mom woke me up, asking me if Mittens was in the room with me (she usually is), because the screen had been pushed out of the window in the front room, and Monster had been under the house, but she couldnt find Mittens. I checked under my bed and in the other room upstairs and couldnt find her. Me and my bfs cousin were looking for her for like 20 mins. i checked out back, but we were mainly looking out front. i thought i heard her meow a couple of times, and my bfs cousin thought she heard the bell on her collar. we were looking up in the trees, nothing. Finally, i went over to where theres an opening to under the house, where Monster had been. I sat on the ground and called her, then i could see her eyes reflecting as she came towards me. I was lucky that they are both afraid of the sound of the cars, so they want to run away from the street.

Good thing your roomate is moving, something like that could happen again.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kaete

the living room window was open and the screen was not in it. Our roommate was sitting in the living room, so I assumed that he did that and had been keeping an eye on it.

To make a long story short, he apparently didn't know that the screen was out (what?! idiot!), and he didn't, apparently, notice that Carl had, at some point, gone out the window!
Time to find another roommate.

Glad Carl came home

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would keep the cats in my room when I wasn't at home until the roomate moved out so that this doesn't happen again since he has already proven himself to be too wrapped up in hisself to care about your cat.

faith's_mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Glad the ending was good! Sorry your roomie isn't so caring about the welfare of your kitties!