New By Nature canned food...

artgecko

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thought Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]d post and see if anyone has tried the new line of 95% meat cans that by nature has out. The ingredients look similar to those in the EVO 95% cans…But they have a chicken can and a turkey can (instead of chicken/turkey EVO). They also have beef and a “fishy†flavor (didnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t read that info). The only downside seems to be that they only come in 6oz cans (verses the 13oz EVO is available in). But, price isnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t so bad.

I ordered 12 cans of the chicken, turkey, and beef flavors (along with the rest of my wet food order) from PFD yesterday. Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]ll let you guys know how the cats like them.

By Nature also makes a line of 95% meat dog cans, but calls them by different flavors than the cat ones (but the beef looks pretty much the same as the beef/liver cat can). Those come in 13oz cans and are a good bit cheaper, so Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]ll be emailing the company to see if they would meet the nutritional requirements of cats as well.

Hereâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s the ingredients and guaranteed analysis of the cat cans below.

Beef/Liver
Ingredients: Beef, Beef Liver, Meat Broth, Tricalcium Phosphate, Guar Gum, Cassia Gum, Carrageenan, Calcium Carbonate, Minerals (Iron Amino Acid Chelate, Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Cobalt Amino Acid Chelate, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Sodium Selenite, Potassium Iodide), Inulin, Vitamins (Vitamin E, A, D3, B12 Supplements, Thiamine Mononitrate, Niacin, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin Supplement, Folic Acid, Biotin), Choline Chloride, Flaxseed Oil, Salt, Taurine.
Calorie Content: 23 kcal/oz.

Chicken/liver
Ingredients: Chicken, Chicken Broth, Chicken Liver, Guar Gum, Cassia Gum, Carrageenan, Minerals (Iron Amino Acid Chelate, Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Cobalt Amino Acid Chelate, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Sodium Selenite, Potassium Iodide), Inulin, Vitamins (Vitamin E, A, D3, B12 Supplements, Thiamine Mononitrate, Niacin, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin Supplement, Folic Acid, Biotin), Choline Chloride, Flaxseed Oil, Salt, Taurine.
Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein (Minimum)10%

Turkey/liver
Ingredients: Turkey, Turkey Broth, Turkey Liver, Guar Gum, Cassia Gum, Carrageenan, Minerals (Iron Amino Acid Chelate, Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Cobalt Amino Acid Chelate, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Sodium Selenite, Potassium Iodide), Inulin, Vitamins (Vitamin E, A, D3, B12 Supplements, Thiamine Mononitrate, Niacin, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin Supplement, Folic Acid, Biotin), Choline Chloride, Flaxseed Oil, Salt, Taurine.
Guaranteed Analysis

* Hm....guarenteed analysis didn't paste...I'll add that on later (when I'm not at work).

proudmamiof4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats were eating the by nature, and at first they LOVED it!! but then they stopped eating it...wouldn't touch it??? and the dry food they ate fine at first as well but then stopped eating it comletely!the ingredients were good though and the price wasn't bad at all.

tamgirl99

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by proudmamiof4

My cats were eating the by nature, and at first they LOVED it!! but then they stopped eating it...wouldn't touch it???
I had the same problem with my kitty. The only thing of theirs mine will continuously eat is their chicken/liver pouches, but they're so darn expensive!

proudmamiof4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tamgirl99

I had the same problem with my kitty. The only thing of theirs mine will continuously eat is their chicken/liver pouches, but they're so darn expensive!
I wonder what causes that to happen ( them to just stop eating?) I had it happen with Natural Balance as well???

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

artgecko

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your replies!

Hopefully, since I'll just be feeding it as part of a rotation, they won't turn off it all together...

I had a similar experience to you guys with EVO chicken/turkey canned food...they liked the "sample" can I bought, but wouldn't really eat it on a regular basis (after I had bought a 12 can case of it, of course). They will still eat the beef though...

Maybe cats just get "bored" ? I never had any problems with their dry EVO, or the Nutro Max or Natural Balance duck/pea... Of course, one of my cats (the one that I bought it for) isn't really interested in eating the wellness CORE that I mix in with his food....this after he loved the sample pouch wellness sent me.
*shrug*

I tried to keep the kittens from being picky, by feeding them a staple dry, but with all kinds of free sample dry foods mixed in (that I got from various companies)... I didn't give them as much variety with the cans.... They pretty much only ate petsmart authority cans and some nutro cans... What's funny, is that now they don't really like the authority cans anymore.

Unfortunately, I don't have much choice with the canned foods...I can't get any of the ones I've ordered locally (except for natural balance) and I'm not going to go out and buy more if they don't like it...they'll either eat it or go hungry (guess I'll be like that with my kids, if I ever have any, about eating what I cook...lol).

Art

p.s. after doing some comparison on the ingredients / analysis listed on their site, I don't think the dog and cat cans are interchangable (as the EVO cans are) because the dog cans are missing several nutrients the cat cans have.
Oh well, the 6oz cat cans are still pretty reasonable.

tamgirl99

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by proudmamiof4

I wonder what causes that to happen ( them to just stop eating?) I had it happen with Natural Balance as well???
Ha! I also had it happen with NB. And Wellness unfortunately as that was one that really helped her IBD. I have no idea what makes them stop wanting it completely. I assumed it might be related to the IBD but it sounds like now it's a common issue with cats.

chris10

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
These are almost like evo. The meat broth in the beef is a problem for me. While its a very small amount the meat part is to vague. Also, I wish they had used a fish body oil for the omega 3's instead of a plant source. Those are just my thoughts on it.
Take care

simpleblue

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
One thing that concerns me with the ingredients is that there is no vegetables, fruit, or other natural vitamin sources. They just depend on the chicken and added vitamin suppliments.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

artgecko

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Update.

So I've had the by nature cans for several months now (the beef, tureky/checken, and turkey varieties) and I thoiught I'd give you guys my impressions after trying them out for a while.

1. They are a lot like evo, but with less "juice" in them
2. The consistency is really unconsistent...i.e. you can open a "juicy" can w/ lots of liquid and very "soft" pate one day, then open the same flavor can, from the same batch / case the next day and get a really dry/hard pate w/ little to no liquid...the majority of cans have very little liquid and have a very firm pate.
3. The smell is inconsisten...esp. w/ the beef. I have opened some cans w/ an extremely intense beef smell...exactly like it smelled when I cooked up some beef heart to try w/ the cats... very irony. while others do not. The cans in question were not rancid, just very "beefy" in smell.

So far, the cats dislike the chicken the most, but that's no surprise as they dont' seem to care for chicken much at all (no matter what the brand). They like the beef the most. I've had to add water to almost all of the cans to make it more edible for the cats.

I did try one can of the "organic" version of these so far...the turkey/chicken... they seemed to like it and the texture was better than the regular cans, but who knows if the texture of that can would be consistent w/ other cans.

IMO, if you're interested in these, wait until they've been out for a year or so more and are more on top of their consistency problems...also hopefully they will come out w/ bigger cans to make them as cheap as EVO in the large cans.

HTH,
Art

hesster

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SimpleBlue

One thing that concerns me with the ingredients is that there is no vegetables, fruit, or other natural vitamin sources. They just depend on the chicken and added vitamin suppliments.
IMHO, that's the way cat food should be. Ever seen a cat in the wild snacking on peas or eating an apple? Cats are obligate carnivores. The most vegetation they get is a little bit in the digestive tract of their prey or nibbling on grass every now and then. Their digestive systems don't process plant matter well. Meat and some added vitamins and possibly some animal based supplements (like fish oil for the coat) is the best diet for cats and has all they need.

Companies add a whole bunch of 'healthy things' to cat food that IMHO shouldn't be there because people look at the list of ingredients and think that because said ingredients are good for humans they must be good for cats. There's no nutritional reason for potatoes or blueberries or pineapple or carrots or any other form of plant matter to be in cat food.

As for By Nature, it's also sold a bit cheaper under the Brandon Farms label at Mejier's/Fred Meyer. That's what I feed my cats. There's a couple of threads under that name if you do a search.