Is it worth registering my cat?

ewa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat Mardy is a American Shorthair, and can be registered. I don't know if it is worth registering her though. I am no cat breed expert, I basically know nothing about breed standards or showing cats, other than what I have read in my cat books. Mardy is a red and white classic tabby. I don't think she is a very good example of a ASH. Her face is quite narrow, and her body doesn't seem cobby enough, although she is only three months old right now. As I said though I know nothing. Any one have an opinion on my cat?

Sorry you have to look at my webshots album, my internet will not load page if I try to add photos directly on the forum.
http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...ost=good-times

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ewa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Apparently I can post pics through Internet explorer but not Firefox. So here are Mardy's pics.

Crappy pic but its the only one I have of her side

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have 2 abys and a Bengal that are not show quality and I didn't buy them for that purpose. I have their registration papers but have never sent them in. One day I will send them in when money isn't as tight in our household!

P.S You have a Beautiful cat!!!!!!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did you buy your cat from an ASH breeder? Did you get registration papers for her? If you bought her as a pet quality, its up to you if you want to spend the money to get a registration certificate. I'm assuming that she is spayed.

I've owned both mixed and purebred cats; however I've never bought a pedigree cat that I did not plan on showing, so all my purebreds have been registered and shown.

ewa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Mardy was not bought but was given by a friend of a friend that breeds ASH's. I had been over at their house and fell in love with baby Mardy and the woman owed me from all the help I gave her with goat problems she had been having. She gave me Mardy when no one had wanted to buy her and she knew how much I liked her. The woman who gave her to me shows her cats and says Mardy is show quality but I don't think she is. But as I said previously I don't really know what I am talking about.

I have her papers I just have to send them in. I did the same thing with my Belgian draft horse, I debated whether or not to send his papers in and it's been seven years now and I never did it. I wouldn't mind showing my cat, not big shows but smaller local shows. I go to them all the time and they seem fun. I show my Lionhead rabbits and a bunch of the people from the rabbit shows also show their cats.

Mardy is not spayed yet, she is only three months old.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Will have to wait till I get home from work - my work won't allow pics to show up. Then I can let you know if I think she's showable or not. Do you have the registration papers (blue slip) from CFA? Is the box checked "not for breeding"? That means the kitten should be spayed and cannot be bred. She's old enough to be spayed now. Kittens as young as 4-5 months old can and will breed - you don't want her to get out and get pregnant!

ewa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The box is not checked. None of my cats go out and no one ever really tries to get out. It's been 2yrs since I have had one of my cats get out and they stayed on the deck terrified screaming to get back in. I am not in a huge rush to get her spayed. My female siamese isn't spayed and she is three years old now. Pudge my siamese had complications with being put under so I don't want to risk her during surgery. I don`t think I would ever breed Mardy anyway so I will probably get her spayed in a couple months.

If you can let me know if she is show quality that would be great. The woman I got her from wants me to show her but I just do not think she has the right body type or face. She is to leggy and has a narrow face, but I don`t know ASH standards or ideals. My grandma bred BSH but even then I never payed enough attention to know!

Thanks

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't know if she is show quality, but I think it would be hard to get a more beautiful kitty. She is absolutely stunning.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's not bad. She would get championship. She doesn't have an extreme head, but she does have nice markings. And a square muzzle. Kittens change a lot in the first year. If she is under 8 months old, try to show her in one kitten show for the judges to evaluate her. Pick out a few judges that you might like to talk to when they are not judging cats (like at lunchtime). Do not ask judges to evaluate if they have not seen her in competition, so you will have to wait to be judged first and then ask later.

I like her nice bulls-eye pattern on the sides and she does have rich coloring. I don't have a clear shot of her back - you should see a "butterfly" pattern over her shoulders.

Depending on what the judges say or do with her, you will know if she's worth showing in the alter class as an adult.

If you want help in finding a show, let me know (need your state you live in and how far you are willing to travel (hours)).

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you should register your cat. Even if you don't breed or show.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I showed my purebred Maine Coon kitten before I ever registered her... I showed her once in a household pet show (she's polydactyl and can't be shown in CFA) and once in a TICA show under "New Traits." Unfortunately at the second show she started hissing in the judging cages (the first show she was an angel!) and I decided not to show her anymore... I have actually not registered her yet but I am planning to.

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would say it depends on if you want to show or not. If you think you may want to try showing, then I'd go ahead and send in the paperwork. Shows can be fun! And you could try a local show first and see if you like it.

lynsgems

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I register all my kittens. I pay the registration cost for them when I register the litter, so when the new owner picks the name I just send that in and make it official.

You do have to register your cat if you want to show it, but I do believe that all pedigree kittens should be registered so there is accurate tracking for that cattery.

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LynsGems

I register all my kittens. I pay the registration cost for them when I register the litter, so when the new owner picks the name I just send that in and make it official.

You do have to register your cat if you want to show it, but I do believe that all pedigree kittens should be registered so there is accurate tracking for that cattery.
So totally agree - and not just tracking for the cattery, it's also means accurate tracking for the BREED. And in areas/breeds where unethical breeders are prevalent, at the very least you are 100% assured you bought what you paid for - after all, registration is only what 8-15 US$!

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ewa;2445607 said:
My cat Mardy is a American Shorthair, and can be registered. I don't know if it is worth registering her though. I am no cat breed expert, I basically know nothing about breed standards or showing cats, other than what I have read in my cat books. Mardy is a red and white classic tabby. I don't think she is a very good example of a ASH. Her face is quite narrow, and her body doesn't seem cobby enough, although she is only three months old right now. As I said though I know nothing. Any one have an opinion on my cat?

Sorry you have to look at my webshots album, my internet will not load page if I try to add photos directly on the forum.
http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...mes[/quote]

The papers I got with Persi state that he cannot be used for breeding. This mattered not to me because he was soon nuetered. I had had many rescued cats before Persi and since he was the very first and only pedigreed cat I have ever had, I paid the ten dollars to register him with the CFA. I have no plans on showing him and I cannot breed him, it was just worth ten dollars to me to have a piece of paper with a fancy sounding name for my cat.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cococat

I think you should register your cat. Even if you don't breed or show.
I happen to agree with you. Both Max and Penny are TICA registered. Penny was a show kitten and a breeder, and I adopted her in her "retirement," so I transferred her papers to my name.

Max came with his blue slip, and although he is not showable and is altered, it seemed to me that registering him was the responsible thing to do as his new owner. And at a cost of $12, well, it was a no-brainer.

They are both microchipped and their chips have their TICA information, so if I were ever to lose them, they could be tracked back to me if not to their breeder, Kai Bengals, through TICA.