Should we get another cat? Your opinions please

althekitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi, I have one gorgeous, very much loved and really quite spoilt
kitty. We love him to bits and shower him with attention. He is obviously a happy cat, no doubt about it. During the day when we are at work he stays indoors and when we get home, providing it's not too dark or too late he goes out. We live in a very rural area, no cars or predators here and therefore we are happy that he is safe surrounded by countryside. He never goes too far and he will also 'help' us with the garden and come for walks with us!
I have noticed though that when he has been in all day and its raining outside or whatever, he doesn't go out, then he is like a coiled spring
We do play with him but sometimes neither of us have the energy. I would love another cat and Al is very sociable, always gets along with other cats. My bf though is worried that having another cat might tip Al off his pedestal and upset him. Maybe he is one of those cats that likes us all to himself, we don't know. I think if we got a kitten that Al would enjoy the company and still be the alpha as older. I really don't want to upset Al's life too much. What do you think, would we benfit from another kitty or do you think we shuld stay as we are? We would def go the rescue centre route too. Thanks for any advice that could be offered.

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think anyone will tell you NOT to get another kitty.
It sounds like a great idea. Just make sure both animals are neutered and try to find a personality you think will compliment Al's.

For instance, Fiona is a princess and loves to play, but wants to be #1....so, I got her a kitten that she could mold and train how she wanted and also would play alot.

Than when I wanted another one I thought that getting another rambuctious cat would be too much, but I also wanted a cat that liked other cats and could tolerate active cats around him. So i got Rocko who is a little older and had good experiance with lots of cats (he lived in the cat colony room at the shelter and they said did really well with others), he is mellow but also gets his little spurts of energy and chases the other kitties..it's cute.

He also is definately the elder of the group and commands respect from both Fiona (who wishes she was Queen supreme!) and ReeRee.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It worked out great with Sasha.
I wanted a kitten to grow up with Sasha because Coco was almost 16 at the time and Meeko 7.5.
Sasha would try to be hyper with them.
We got Oreo Cookie and she is 1 year and a few days younger then Sasha.
They always play and like to wrestle each other also.
I think a younger cat would work out with him.
Meeko is 8 now and she even wrestles with them.

happilyretired

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You have the same reservations I have! My guy is 5 (but adopted only 4 months ago), and he's a very social, completely indoor cat. I'm retired and home all day, and that's a good thing because he is a total love bug and wants a lot of attention. I think a companion cat might be good for him, but I also think he relishes being "king," and worry that I might just cause problems.

I haven't done anything yet because I'm going away for a week next month, and I think that this is not yet time to introduce a companion--if I do decide to do that.

My vet assures me that he's perfectly content as an "only child," and I am concerned because I'm disabled and two cats might be too much for me to handle. So I'm torn, but it was good to hear that you have the same concerns about deposing a cat who is used to being king.

audiocat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Lilly was on "only child" and quite happy before we got Forrest but I think now she really enjoys the company. However, if I had a chance to do it all over again I would probably not get a small kitten. I would adopt an older cat.

Even though my husband and I work out of our house and are home during the day Forrest had SO much energy. He was such a handful for us and Lilly to deal with and occasionally drove us crazy. Thinking back I believe it was easier to deal with my son at 2 years old than little Forrest as a kitten. Once he got to be about a year old he was ok. Forrest has a lot of Oriental blood in him so I think maybe he was a little more "active" than other kittens that I've been around.

Now I cannot say there is any more work with two cats than one - other than a higher vet bill. I feed them at the same time and clean the boxes once a day - so no more work with two than one. When I see the two of them playing together or laying together happily I am glad we adopted another cat. They do keep each other company.

Plus now my husband and I each have a cat in our office during the daytime and don't have to share.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

althekitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by HappilyRetired

You have the same reservations I have!
My vet assures me that he's perfectly content as an "only child," and I am concerned because I'm disabled and two cats might be too much for me to handle. So I'm torn, but it was good to hear that you have the same concerns about deposing a cat who is used to being king.
King is definately the word!! I def think a kitten that could be Al's little bro would be best, girl or boy though? Would def have them 'done' Al was and I wouldn't have a cat that I hadn't had sorted. I am pleased too that I am not the only one that has this dialemma, I don't want little Al's nose put out of joint so to speak!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by AudioCat

Lilly was on "only child" and quite happy before we got Forrest but I think now she really enjoys the company. However, if I had a chance to do it all over again I would probably not get a small kitten. I would adopt an older cat.

Even though my husband and I work out of our house and are home during the day Forrest had SO much energy. He was such a handful for us and Lilly to deal with and occasionally drove us crazy. Thinking back I believe it was easier to deal with my son at 2 years old than little Forrest as a kitten. Once he got to be about a year old he was ok. Forrest has a lot of Oriental blood in him so I think maybe he was a little more "active" than other kittens that I've been around.

Now I cannot say there is any more work with two cats than one - other than a higher vet bill. I feed them at the same time and clean the boxes once a day - so no more work with two than one. When I see the two of them playing together or laying together happily I am glad we adopted another cat. They do keep each other company.

Plus now my husband and I each have a cat in our office during the daytime and don't have to share.
I can vouch for the joys of two cats. Never thought I would say that but there it is. They chase each other and play together then settle in for a nap together. I wouldn't recommend a kitten though, I would suggest a cat closer to your current cat's age. They'll figure out their own alpha status.

tuck

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
When I got Scourge as a kitten she was #2 to Tolkien, a cat who was ten. For four years she's been my only cat after Tolkien died.

My work days are long and I go out of town for a few days at a time occasionally. Scourge seems content but I have been considering getting a companion/s.

My first idea would be to get two kittens from the same litter. Instead of having two cats that are different ages I would have two the same age when Scourge dies.

Is is easier to introduce an older cat into Scourge's house or would it be easier for two kittens?

Thanks for any input.

Oh...Scourge's name isn't as awful as it sounds. There is a cat in Patrick O Brian's 'Master and Commander' series. The bosun's mate brings a cat aboard ship to take care of rats and mice. the cat does a great job and the crew decides to choose the name Scourge. Most of my cats have had literary names.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How old is Al, and has he ever lived with other cats? Just because he is sociable with cats outside doesn't mean that he will be with cats in his house. Also, depending on his age, a young kitten might be too much, so an older (6-12mo) might be better

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have had several foster cats over the last year and Riley (almost 2) seems to do better when I bring in adult cats. He gets along with all of them, but kittens, well... they have no manners
and they did get on Riley's nerves sometimes because they didn't know when to leave him alone. I didn't have that problem with the adults.