Do Y'all See This As Strange

fuzzles

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't know if it's just me but this seems kind of strange. The boyfriend's parents are coming into town on the 25th and we're going to eat dinner with them of course. I asked him what the occasion was and he said its because his brother's fiance's parents are coming into town to meet my boyfriends parents. His brother got engaged in August. It's just a little strange to me. I would think it would just be the two sets of parents and the couple getting engaged meeting together for the first time. What do you guys think? Is that strange or just different?

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm trying to remember how my parents met Neil's parents for the first time and cannot remember. I do know that they did not meet out for dinner anywhere. They would have had dinner at our place or we would have all gone to his parents. They were not people who would drive any distance (like 100 miles) to meet my parents. Even driving to see us at the time (40 miles) would have been alot for them to drive. In fact they might have met during some holiday!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fuzzles

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Her parents actually live in St. Louis while the bf and his brother live here in Austin so its a pretty far distance. At least to me. The middle sister in my family dated her husband in high school so my parents and his parents knew each other practically when they first met so there was no meeting. My older sister's parents drove from Houston to Bryan, tx which was about 2 hours to have dinner and coffee with my parents the first time they met them. I don't even think my sister or bro in law tagged along. It was just the parents. I guess everyone is different based on the situation but it just still seems kind of strange to me.

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
maybe just in case conversation dies you can chit chat to one or the other?

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Maybe they're thinking since they're coming so far they want to meet the whole family. Doesn't really seem strange to me either.

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldyCat

Maybe they're thinking since they're coming so far they want to meet the whole family. Doesn't really seem strange to me either.
I was thinking the same thing. I wouldn't think it's weird. My fiance's parents and mine, along with all of our siblings have had dinner a few times...which with my family is quite a few people.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My first thought was also that maybe they wanted to meet the whole family at one time. I don't find that strange.

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I knew my BIL's family way before my parents did. I think the real formal parents-meet-each-other thing is kinda old-fashioned. Maybe they are planning to do that as well, before/after the dinner? Who knows. Hopefully they'll have plenty of time to get to know each other.