Felicia had her kittens! (Pics!)

angelyco

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was getting ready to go to sleep last night at about 12:30 AM and Felicia came up for some attention. After a few minutes of petting her, she moved to start licking her bits and when she moved, she left a wet spot on the bed. I immediately called my fiance into the room and let him know the kittens were coming (and it couldn't have been better timing, because we were so worried we wouldn't be home when it happened). We've been watching for weeks for signs of labor and even a few hours earlier she didn't show any signs, it just happened very suddenly.

She spend the next hour or so jumping back and forth between the bed, wanting attention, and her nesting box. Finally my fiance sat down on the floor by the box so she stayed in there. Around 2:00 AM, she had the first two kittens, one right after the other with only a couple minutes in between. The second kitten came even before the first one's placenta. I was expecting a long labor but was thankful that we didn't have to wait all night. It took probably a half hour before she finally settled down to let the kittens nurse, and we were worried because we didn't know how soon they needed to get to a nipple. We tried to lead them to the nipples, but Felicia would keep grooming them and moving around because she was getting ready for the next kitten.

Around 3:00 AM, the third one came into the world (black and white, the only bit of color we saw in the litter). By now she was getting exhausted and she took a lot longer to finish cleaning this one, but at least she let it nurse while taking breaks cleaning it.

The fourth and last came around 4 or 4:30. We didn't have to intervene in any of the deliveries, Felicia was a pro. She ate all of the placentas. I have to admit I'm a little disappointed that most of the litter is black, but I was expecting that.

Now what you've all been waiting for--pictures!

http://picasaweb.google.com/angelyco/NewKittens#

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

angelyco

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update: I think she may still have a kitten inside her. What I thought was kicking for the last few weeks is what I'm feeling (like bubbles against her stomach) but now I don't know if it IS kicking or just her stomach or something. It feels like a kitten. I just called the vet and he wasn't very helpful over the phone. I'm going to do a little research and hope it's another one and that it's okay.

lele

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hope everything is ok. Please keep us informed.
One of the pics looks like you might have a tortie??? Maybe I'm seeing things.

angelyco

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think it's just the lighting...I really want a tortie and I was a little disappointed that I didn't get one (it was possible, we have a few red males in the neighborhood).

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We thought that with Meeko and went to the vet and it was constipation.
She just had one kitten.
She is balck and white and had all calicos except for Midnight whi is black.
She had 3 and we though she was done.
Acted normal and then 12 hours later 2 dead calico males came.
She was fine though.
You can get a xray and see if there is anything in her like we did with Meeko.
They are cute.

angelyco

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Cute and are you gonna have fun telling the black kittens apart!
No kidding...we tried marking their claws with colored markers but it already wore off. There is a little bit of a difference in size, but not enough to tell them apart at first glance. I have no idea who came first, second, etc. except that the black and white one was third!

angelyco

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So far, the black and white one is a female, and one of the black ones is a male...the other two black ones are completely and utterly hermaphroditic as far as I'm concerned right now