Brushing Teeth

simpleblue

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just bought Amy a tooth brush & paste set and I'd like some input and advice.

Today is day two of brushing Amy's teeth. I got the tooth brush out, put some wet food on it, and Amy munched on the tooth brush. I was able to do some brush strokes while she was chomping away. Is this a good way to start - using food?

She has smelled the toothpaste on the toothbrush and it seems she likes to lick it and not bite on it. And Amy squirms around constantly when I've tried to massage her gums. Perhaps it's because she's in heat?

Also, would feeding her after be a good idea? For a reward?

I could easily hold her down and do it, but I wanna make this fun for Amy and I'm willing to take the time to make it work.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

simpleblue

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'd really like an opinion. Sorry to bug.

If someone brushes their cats teeth. How did you do it?

Thanx

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Your are welcome, you can get it from the link above or you can ask your veterinarian if he/she carries it.

piikki

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How I did it was do very little at first in the easy parts and offer the (yummy) toothpaste as reward. Worked for two of my boys.

At first I managed only to get the fang brushed because that was easy to reach and not threatening. Then I rewarded with another lick of toothpaste. Then next time we continued from there but I refused to give more paste unless I got to put the brush in the mouth after the first taste. Soon enough they go the gist of it, and submitted for couple of strokes just to get the yummie. Everytime it got scary I just brushed the easy parts for a show.

It was a fight (still is with one who is not so food-oriented) but now my boy who really needs the brushing actually lifts his lip up for better access.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

simpleblue

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by piikki

How I did it was do very little at first in the easy parts and offer the (yummy) toothpaste as reward. Worked for two of my boys.

At first I managed only to get the fang brushed because that was easy to reach and not threatening. Then I rewarded with another lick of toothpaste. Then next time we continued from there but I refused to give more paste unless I got to put the brush in the mouth after the first taste. Soon enough they go the gist of it, and submitted for couple of strokes just to get the yummie. Everytime it got scary I just brushed the easy parts for a show.

It was a fight (still is with one who is not so food-oriented) but now my boy who really needs the brushing actually lifts his lip up for better access.
Thank you so much for your response. It sounds great that you've managed to brush their teeth. I'm taking it very slowly. Still just brushing with a little wet food on the brush and getting Amy used to it.

Amy does like to like the toothpaste a little so I'll try it. I just don't want to scare her and then she's petrified for life.

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why isn't she spayed?

My vet gave me a toothbrush to use for each cat. It's a very soft version of a human toothbrush with a rounded end. I originally bought these stupid toothbrush gloves at the pet store that are hard to use. I have a cat toothpaste (important to use one designed for pets) that I bought at Petco. My vet gave me a dental rinse that I use on each cat because of gingivitis, it's sort of like a kitty mouthwash.

This is the oral rinse I use on them (daily for now until their gums are a little better and then a few times a week). Sometimes I just brush with this instead of the cat toothpaste.
http://www.virbacvet.com/cet/product...y/oral_rinses/

I didn't bother with the whole 'getting them used to the toothpaste/brush' thing. I wait until they are very sleepy and then I pull the side of their mouth up and get their teeth that way. By the time I get one side, they get pissed but I hold them down and get the other really quick, and then the front teeth and then I'm done.

piikki

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That is definitely one important thing too - not to do it when the kitty is very hyper.

I also make sure the brushing is generally a nice happening. I close the door from the other cats, so it's private time. We pet first then I show the paste (motivator
). After we are done we always do a nice gum and facial massage that Teppo really likes. Sometimes we combine the tooth care with good coat brushing which he loves too, so he always leaves the bathroom purring on a good note.