Persian Grooming - How often?

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How often would you bathe a Persian? I know that daily brushing is a must, but what about bathing? I never thought about doing it but I was reading some Persian grooming websites (geared mostly toward people showing Persians) and it makes me think that I should be giving Mattie a bath at least once a month. She's only had 1 bath in the year that I've had her, and I had the groomer do it (her white fur had turned yellow from Animax ointment that we were using to treat her acne, which at the time was full blown).

Even with daily brushing, she always looks scruffy. Her skin is waxy and over-produces oil, which I think is what causes her to have issues with feline acne (though right now there is nothing on her chin and only a few blackheads in the corners of her mouth).

So for an average indoor-only Persian, how often would you bathe them?

(Mattie isn't a purebred Persian, but she definitely has the long hair of one and the flat face).

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At least once a month, preferably twice a month. Use the right products to avoid over-oilyness!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she's got a lot of white on her, I'd bath her about once a month and be sure to use both shampoo (for whites) and a conditioner.

Before bathing she should have every tangle/knot out of her coat and you will have to take the time to sit and comb/blow dry her after the bath.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks! She is mostly white with a grey tail and grey patches on her head.

How important is it that I use a pet shampoo? I know that PH is a concern, but one of the grooming websites I read talked about just rinsing after (I think with apple cider vinegar??). I don't mind going out to buy pet shampoo, but I have some really gentle (white-colored) baby shampoo here already.

I think I am going to use diluted dawn as a de-greaser.

I am now wondering about how to dry her the most effective way? I was thinking about using a hair dryer on a cool setting, would that be ok? I know they make pet hair dryers but I wouldn't even know where to go buy one without ordering one on the internet.

She's not going to like this.

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would use Goop handcleaner as a degreaser. Dawn works fairly well too but in my experience, the Goop keep their coats nicer for longer periods. As far as drying. You must really blow dry a Persian. I'd invest in a pet drier such as the Metro Pet driers. If all you have is a regular blow dryer, it will be ok if you use it on the warm setting (definately don't use the hot setting). And use it on the highest speed. And for sure, make sure you have the cat combed out well before bathing, with no mats (or they will get worse).

Rub down the cat really well with lots of Goop; getting it down to the skin. Some leave it on for 15 minutes. I never have and it still works great. Rinse, then use shampoo. I always suggest one that is for cats just because there are so many ingredients and chemicals in shampoos, you never know if there is something in it that could be harmful. But some use human shampoos and haven't had problems. Rinse, then follow up with a conditioner. Final rinse should be with vinegar and water. I use white vinegar. Before show I use 1/2 cup to gallon of water but for everyday I just use a few tablespoons. The vinegar helps restore ph and also helps to rinse out the coat completely. Wrap the cat in a couple of towels and I just sit and hold them for as long as they are still. Then blow dry immediately. Pay attention first to the belly and legs, then the tail. Be sure to lift the tail and get the underside nice and dry. Then you can move on to the back, sides and neck. Never aim a blow dryer directly on the face or in the ears. The face will get dry when you dry the neck (ruff) and the back/top of the head. I kind of hold their ears shut when drying the back of the head.

Maxx just sits there and tolerates the whole grooming session. Peaches is slightly less cooperative sometimes but she's still very manageable. The first two times I groomed Peaches, she was a bit more difficult but then she got much better. Just be confident and talk to the kitty the whole time. You'll be fine!

I forgot to answer your original question! But others have told you what I would have already anyway! For a cat that tends to get greasy, every 2-4 weeks. If you use Dawn only (no goop), you may have to bathe after 2 weeks. When Jake was alive (rip) he was really greasy and if I used goop I could wait 4 weeks to bathe him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks mzjazz! Very helpful information, I'm really glad you posted!

I gave Matilda her bath last night and we both survived.

I combed her with her wide toothed grooming comb first. Then I put some Dawn in the sink with warm water and washed her with that, and then rinsed, and then washed her with cat shampoo in the bath tub, rinsed, and then I towel dried her and then used my hair dryer on a cool/high setting to dry her.

I'll pick up some Goop in the future but the Dawn worked pretty well. I have white vinegar but didn't use it because I thought it had to be apple cider vinegar. I also didn't use conditioner, but I will do that next time.

I think I am going to pick up a shampoo for white cats to use in the future for her. I know they make them but I just grabbed the cheapest cat shampoo at the pet store.

I didn't wash her head, do groomers usually do that? I didn't want her to feel like she was drowning. We have a shower head that comes off of the shower so I could use that somehow I think.

I'm quite proud of myself as the groomer charges $40 for just a bath. I don't mind paying the groomer to shave her in the summer (totally worth it), but I'm glad that I can at least do this by myself. Mattie looks so pretty I might just have to bathe her every 2 weeks

I don't think I could give Chloe a bath (our other kitty). Mattie is de-clawed and I'm really sad that whoever owned her before I did had her de-clawed, but it sure made the bath a little easier....Chloe would be a nightmare. She is so skittish. Her foster mom gave her a bath when she was a kitten before I took her home and she said it did not go well at all. Chloe doesn't get greasy like Matilda does though. Chloe's fur is different too...Mattie's fur is all one length and Chloe has all these different lengths and it's almost like a double coat. I hardly get any hair off of Mattie when I brush her with a grooming rake, but it comes off of Chloe by the handful.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I take a washcloth and use warm bath water to wipe off their face and top of head around the ears. That way its only damp and you are not getting water in their ears/eyes. I wash from the neck down and carefully wash the back of the head (behind the ears).

I use a hand held shower head for rinsing. Be sure to comb as you blow dry

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

I take a washcloth and use warm bath water to wipe off their face and top of head around the ears. That way its only damp and you are not getting water in their ears/eyes. I wash from the neck down and carefully wash the back of the head (behind the ears).

I use a hand held shower head for rinsing. Be sure to comb as you blow dry
Exactly what I do! Except for the combing as you blow dry (with all due respect to GoldenKitty because she is pretty knowledgeable). I don't comb as I blow dry because that is how I was taught for Persian's. It pulls and not only hurts but stretches the hair and can damage it. None of the Persian breeders I know will comb while drying and this was confirmed by an article on http://PandEcats.comPandEcats.com, which I subscribe to. You have to pay for a lot of their articles but it is well worth it for breeders and folks who show Persian's. Otherwise, pet owners may be better off to just keep asking others (if you don't want to spend the money)!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Interesting. I was told you have to comb and blow dry as the fur will tangle. See, that's why I don't own longhair cats!

Do you blow dry them part, then comb a little to separate? Or are they just completely blow dried and then you sit and comb them out?

faith's_mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Never use anything on your pets that is formulated for people; I'm a groomer, and I cringe when I hear people say that they use human shampoos\\conditioners on their pets. Animals have different ph balances than us, so I think it is unwise to use people products on them, even if it is 'cheaper'; I have seen bad reactions and dry itchy skin many a time, and that was with 'only once in a while' bathings with the stuff. When diluted pet shampoos last longer, and are better for your pet than human shampoos.

As far as bathing, I would bath your cat atleast 2 a month, if not more; cleansing her skin with a good oatmeal, or other medicated shampoo will help with her acne alot.

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Interesting. I was told you have to comb and blow dry as the fur will tangle. See, that's why I don't own longhair cats!

Do you blow dry them part, then comb a little to separate? Or are they just completely blow dried and then you sit and comb them out?
Back about 5 years ago when I was a greenie, I used to think you had to comb as you dry too. I blow dry them all the way and then the comb goes through the fur like a hot knife in butter!
When you blow dry on warm heat and high velocity, supposedly it separates the hair. Which I tend to agree with since it has now also my experience.

To comment on what Faith's_mom said, I never recommend human shampoo either. I only mentioned that I know others who have and didn't seem to have a problem. I think is way risky though, for those who are not quite sure about what they're doing.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess the key is to comb every knot/tangle out first, before they are even wet (that's what I tell people anyway). If no tangles before wet, then no tangle after

As far as human shampoo, I only would use high quality brands - not the cheap stuff. My cornish rex was washed his entire life/show career in Nexxus Simply Silver (he was a white rex). And used Nexxus Humetress too. He had a wonderful coat, no problems, no dryness, etc.

I will agree that special formulated pet shampoo is best, but another rex breeder (who was a hairdresser) washed his cats in Nexxus and recommends it to those showing rexes.