Any ideas how to go about this..

junior_j

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hello all!

How are you all , hope everything is well with everyone! x

Okay maybe i seem dumb thinking this so far ahead BUT

I would really love to become a childminder .. i am only 16 and a half now but i would love to save up work hard and get qualification so that in 5 years time i have my own home and can childmind from home! I have tons of references and have even au'paired abroad ....

I am supposed to be doing a health and social care college course but theirs been problems with it and im dropping out like a lot of them , the qualifications we were suppsoed to get have now changed ect and the lectutuer is ill a lot so..its not worth being there! I am looking for a full time job for the year to return to college september 09 to do a ONE-TWO year childcare course , first aid course and food hygeiene , drug awareness course..and then trying to get maybe weekend work just to support me! mum and dad dont expect me to pay any rent whilst in full time education!

I really would love to be a home childminder because i love children , i love watching them learn , teaching them things and generally caring for them. I also have quite a strong maternal instinct which is why i think im good at childminding part time now!

Ok sorry that was so long winded im mega tired but just wanted to get peoples ideas on this!

Jess x

faith's_mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
do you mean fostercare?

I don't think there is much, other than being able to provide a stable environment, perhaps having a Psychology (child) background; you'll go through alot of paperwork, and other stuff, but pretty much anyone who loves kids, and has a knowledge of development, and how to raise them, can foster them; we need more loving foster parents in this world!!

juliejerks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm guessing a childminder is like a babysitter or a nanny? I don't know how it works where you live, but here a lot of babysitters work from agencies. You get hired with the agency, and then they find you families looking for a nanny. If I were you, I would look up some childminders and ask them how they got to doing what they do. That's really the best way to get an idea of how to go about getting into any career.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by JulieJerks

I'm guessing a childminder is like a babysitter or a nanny? .
Basically that's what they are. A lot of people pay a registered childminder where they drop the child off at the childminders home as they go to work instead of a nursery, then pick the child up on their way home.

An old neighbour of mine used to look after 3 children. She was checked over by the police and the home had to have a safety inspection. She had to spend quite a bit of money having fire blankets, extinguishers etc..., but i know she made a good income looking after the children in her care.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rosiemac

Basically that's what they are. A lot of people pay a registered childminder where they drop the child off at the childminders home as they go to work instead of a nursery, then pick the child up on their way home.

An old neighbour of mine used to look after 3 children. She was checked over by the police and the home had to have a safety inspection. She had to spend quite a bit of money having fire blankets, extinguishers etc..., but i know she made a good income looking after the children in her care.
Wow! You need a course to do that now?! I used to do that over school vacations when I was 12 years old! How times change.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Wow! You need a course to do that now?! I used to do that over school vacations when I was 12 years old! How times change.
I was shocked as well. She had to make sure all the glass in her french doors was toughend glass as well incase the child fell through them.

I'm not 100% sure, but i think you have to be 15 to babysit here as well?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

junior_j

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It depends , i now privately childmind some children at my house me at theirs , but to become a proper 'business' i would have to have my home inspected some degrees up my sleeve ect..

Thanks for all your replies!

Jess x

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think we call that being a daycare provider here.

In the part of the states where I live one has to be licensed if you take care of any children over 4-5 in your home. There is a great need for daycare for infants, and to watch children during odd times of the day due to peoples work schedules. And for affordable childcare too.

I know one needs certain types of insurance and I'm thinking there are some sorts of house inspections too.

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it would be a really good field to get into. I would but I live in the country so its almost impossible for me because I live so far out that most people would not come to my home. So once I get myself inorder I am thinking about being a foster mom and possibly adoption as I do not believe I can of children of my own and I really love kids.