Help with Cleaning the Stove Top!

fuzzles

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Does anyone have a solution to getting burnt on gunk off of the stovetop? The boyfriend likes to be a messy cook and always spills stuff out of pans onto the stove and now there are burned spots that I'm tired of looking at. Would an oven cleaner work if I let it sit for a while? I couldn't keep up with his messiness because he lived here alone the first 6 months so some of it has been there for a while. I got up what I could with a Mr Clean Magic Eraser thing, but some of it just won't budge! It's even on the burners too. Thanks!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good old fashioned elbow grease. A little hot soapy water on the bad areas will help soften/loosen it some and using baking soda or a gentle scrubbing powder will help you scrub it off - just remember the powders have bleach in them and that can't be mixed with dish soap.

cdubbie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I second the baking soda. Makes it fairly easy for any stuck on food - whether it be on the stove or in a pan. I can't believe I used to use brillo pads! :doh: I especially like the fact it is non-toxic. I found it works better than the "real" stuff most of the time.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CDubbie

II found it works better than the "real" stuff most of the time.
Real stuff? If you mean the scrubbing powders they're just bleach and baking soda - maybe one or two ingredients more.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fuzzles

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't have any here but I will have to try that later today. It sucks that we can't find drip pans that fit that stove. That's actually part of the problem :-/

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you make sure to wipe the stove down after it cools, or at least once a day, you shouldn't have to worry about that mess building back up.

I'm moving into a house that has a flat top electric stove - a very big change for me to get used to. I know they have to be cleaned a little differently, too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fuzzles

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

If you make sure to wipe the stove down after it cools, or at least once a day, you shouldn't have to worry about that mess building back up.

I'm moving into a house that has a flat top electric stove - a very big change for me to get used to. I know they have to be cleaned a little differently, too.
My mom has an electric stove. She uses some kind of white cream stuff to clean the stove top. I'm not sure what it is.

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Fuzzles

My mom has an electric stove. She uses some kind of white cream stuff to clean the stove top. I'm not sure what it is.
It could be vim. My mom uses that stuff to clean everything.

I use Mr Clean, the one in the pink spray bottle. I think its a degreasing spray or something.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Don't try the oven cleaner unless you can check out a small inconspicuous spot first. It may take the finish off along with the gunk.

faith's_mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
A trick I learned a while ago, is to take a good cleaner (Mr. Clean, or Lysol), soak a rag in hot water, apply some of the cleaning agent, then slap the hot wet rag on the yucky spots; let the rag set there for a few minutes, and most stubborn 'yucks' are easily wiped away...sometimes, you may have to repeat the process, depending on how many layers there are...
Good luck!

Perhaps ban the dh from the kitchen?? Haha